Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Peat, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMrcanada
n00b

Loc: uhmmm
Life durency of Lime
    #1072654 - 11/21/02 04:33 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

One question, how long is my lime going to last in my casings before the pH is lowered? I'm using hydrated lime which I know is more potent and faster acting than ground limestone or mixed lime but how long do each of these last before the casing can no longer produce a desireable yield of mushrooms?

The strain in which I am cultivating is B+ p. cebensis. Using the 50/50 tek and hydrated lime. Thank you to all that reply.  :grin: 

--------------------
ALL INFORMATION ABOVE IS PROVIDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND MAY OR MAY NOT REPRESENT FACTUAL INFORMATION.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Life durency of Lime [Re: Mrcanada]
    #1072693 - 11/21/02 04:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The only reason you add lime to raise the pH is because trichoderma perfers low pH. The casing layer will get more acidic as time goes on, but that doesn't mean you're going to get trichoderma, just that you're slightly more likely to. Most casings will do about 3 flushes before they need to be retired.

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Life durency of Lime [Re: zeta]
    #1073256 - 11/21/02 11:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, again, like many thing thsi is a basic cultivation question, not advanced, but ignoring that the ph of peat need to be adjusted as it is to alkaline for the mycelium to thrive. Your substrate should already have a good nutrient and moisture reserve so if the casing layer is not a relatively inviting place then the mycelium will not grow properly throguh it. Oh, it may grow into it, but not in the intended manner. Peopel seem to only have a loose understanding of the function of the casing layer. To remedy that I would suggest purchasing The Mushroom Cultivator which has a wonderful chapter dealing with the casing layer.

Also, if you're worried about your lime buffer being "used up" before your trays nutrient supply then use chalk instead which will provide a much longer lasting buffer.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Peat, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology