Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: THC Titan]
    #10762038 - 07/29/09 03:52 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:

With the Gates example, you're just further proving my point. The title hearkens back to the life of a black person prior to the civil rights movement - it's a memoir, did you catch that? - and the title "Colored People" is used specifically because it is linked with the time period in which it takes place.

Henry Gates is 6 years older than I am.  How many years younger than Gates do you have to be before you become a bigot for using Colored People?
Quote:

There's a noticeable difference in context between those examples and someone under 30 using the word "negro" to discuss why black people are stupid, inept at leadership, etc. etc. The word "negro" isn't necessarily racist in and of itself, but when pared next to other statements, it's pretty obvious when racism is going on.

Thank you.  You have now conceded that there is nothing inherently racist in using the word "Negro".

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL, USA
Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #10762059 - 07/29/09 03:57 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Can you shut up about that word? Everyone who is offended by that word needs a dictionary, the exception being if the word was intentionally chosen to refer to black people so that the speaker could get away with making a racist statement under the guise of the English language.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #10762122 - 07/29/09 04:07 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Can you shut up about that word? Everyone who is offended by that word needs a dictionary, the exception being if the word was intentionally chosen to refer to black people so that the speaker could get away with making a racist statement under the guise of the English language.

I'm never niggardly in my use of words. I never will be niggardly in my choice of words. You should be embarrassed by your niggardly use of words.

The point, which so clearly slid right past you, is that there will always be assholes that find one word or another offensive.

I choose not to be affected by these small and weak minded individuals.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#10762132 - 07/29/09 04:09 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:

You must be some mind reader.

"under the guise of the English language."
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

--------------------

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: zappaisgod]
    #10762182 - 07/29/09 04:18 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:Henry Gates is 6 years older than I am.  How many years younger than Gates do you have to be before you become a bigot for using Colored People?
Quote:

You're not necessarily a bigot for using the word, it depends what words you place around it. My father grew up in South Carolina (he's the same age as Gates, if not a year older), went to college there, and then moved to a different state. My grandmother regularly used the words "jigaboos" and "nigger" around him but he apparently shed those words from his vocabulary when he left the area and started to interact with other educated professionals. Still, even with someone who is in their 50s I would feel awkward if they said something about "that negro" or "that colored person over there" while in public.

Quote:

Thank you.  You have now conceded that there is nothing inherently racist in using the word "Negro".

I never meant to suggest otherwise. But if you're someone who is young, educated and/or raised outside the rural South, I just don't see how that word would become your default label, or even an alternative label used, for black people. Unless you're someone who is a dedicated racist.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #10762190 - 07/29/09 04:20 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
the word was intentionally chosen to refer to black people so that the speaker could get away with making a racist statement under the guise of the English language.

is this true?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: lonestar2004]
    #10762236 - 07/29/09 04:33 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

THC Titan said:
the word was intentionally chosen to refer to black people so that the speaker could get away with making a racist statement under the guise of the English language.

is this true?

Well, you've asked the right person.  He is, after all, the Thought Police.

--------------------

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

#10762243 - 07/29/09 04:35 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

THC Titan said:

No, it would be pretty obvious. For example, if someone wants to make a racist comment about a black person or group of black people, they couldn't call them niggers, but they might call them "niggardly" *wink* *wink*.

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: lonestar2004]
    #10762252 - 07/29/09 04:36 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

THC Titan said:

is this true?

I'm speaking about in general. It could be true if someone made it true.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#10762342 - 07/29/09 04:53 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

THC Titan said:

No, it would be pretty obvious. For example, if someone wants to make a racist comment about a black person or group of black people, they couldn't call them niggers, but they might call them "niggardly" *wink* *wink*.

I remember a few years back some retard who worked in a government agency demanded that someone be fired for using the word "niggardly".
Quote:

In Washington a few weeks ago, David Howard, a white gay man serving as the city's ombudsman, bemoaned the paucity of his budget. "I will have to be niggardly with this fund," he told coworkers, "because it's not going to be a lot of money." One of his listeners was shocked by the sound of the word and spread the news quickly that Howard had used an expression rooted in the hated epithet nigger. Blacks, who make up a majority of the capital's population, expressed their alarm and dismay. Howard resigned for the good of the city and race relations, and the new mayor, Anthony A. Williams, a black often criticized by his opponents for acting and thinking like a white, accepted the resignation with dispatch. Mayor Williams said that Howard, by using the word niggardly, was like someone "caught smoking in a refinery that resulted in an explosion."

The mayor and Howard's critics, however, had confused their etymology. The word niggardly derives from the Middle English nig, a word rooted in Old Norse that means a stingy person. It has nothing to do with nigger, an offensive slang expression coming from nègre, a French noun that means a black person. Noting all this, NAACP Chairman Julian Bond castigated Mayor Williams for being "niggardly in his judgment on this issue." "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding," said Bond.

http://www.stanleymeisler.com/news-commentary/words.html

Although I'm not sure Mr. Bond was using it correctly.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10762710 - 07/29/09 05:43 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Look, it doesn't matter if you think the word 'negro' isn't racist. The fact remains that if you keep using it people will think you are. Is that what you want?

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: zouden]
    #10762817 - 07/29/09 06:03 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

"You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding," said Bond.

I have long ago ceased worrying about what retards think of me.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #10762953 - 07/29/09 06:26 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Look, it doesn't matter if you think the word 'negro' isn't racist. The fact remains that if you keep using it people will think you are. Is that what you want?

Quote:

"You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding," said Bond.

Why would I care what moronic half-witted buffoons think of me?

I refuse to dumb myself down to their level of ignorance.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10763019 - 07/29/09 06:35 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Do you use the word "negro" in your day-to-day language with people you've just met?

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#10763058 - 07/29/09 06:41 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

I do.  You might be surprised how much the spanish language is used in america.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#10763077 - 07/29/09 06:45 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Do you use the word "negro" in your day-to-day language with people you've just met?

I can't imagine that conversation.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: DieCommie]
    #10763581 - 07/29/09 08:13 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
I do.  You might be surprised how much the spanish language is used in america.

:lol:

yes, modelo negra por favor  :cheers:

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleBrasco
Stranger
    #10769634 - 07/30/09 06:15 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

The whole incident has been blown out of proportion because of the racially charged nature of it and how the media goes nuts over such things.

Black professor breaks into his locked home.  Somebody thinks that looks suspicious and calls the police.  Police show up and the guy only shows a Harvard ID.  Police have not been shown verifiable proof that the guy should be at the residence.  Black professor starts screaming and acting like an idiot.  The douchebag deserved to go to jail for not cooperating with the police.  If he had just shut his mouth and provided the information that they needed there would have been no problem.  But, he decided to get irate and pull the race-card.

As he whined about being a "black man in America" I wonder if he ever paused to consider that he probably earns ten times what that white police officer does.  Did he bother to recognize that he has more education, status, and power than that cop ever will?  If that's not a testament to how far we have come as a society I don't know what is.  But, oh no....let's act like a child and play the victim.  This victim mentality does nothing but breed tension and separatism between the races.  People like him cause more harm to race relations in this country than any white supremacist ever could.  Maybe he should think of that as he teaches his next politically-correct African American studies class to spoiled Harvard kids or when he vomits out a thesis that only pedantic and navel-gazing elitist academics will read.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #10781983 - 08/01/09 09:45 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

zouden said:

FYI, on the island I lived on in the Carib, Negro is primarily used when indicating skin color. If you asked a lot of people they would often say "blacks" are those of African ancestry who are living in the states. Obviously the word's usage is, in large part, a result of former imperial power's influence.

The fact that some people take offense at the use of certain cognates depending on their current geographical location is disturbing to me.

They're only words. Relax, niggas.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Union Chief: Obama Should Apologize To Cambridge Police [Re: d33p]
    #10783937 - 08/02/09 04:41 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

The fact that some people take offense at the use of certain cognates depending on their current geographical location is disturbing to me.

You find it disturbing that different cultures have different social norms?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains