Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNuggetpouch
Male

Wikipedias Definition of Fungus
    #10723975 - 07/23/09 12:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungus

Everything seems pretty on point.
Except for one thing.

I was reading through the wikipedia page for the word "fungus" and something struck my attention.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
"The discipline of biology devoted to the study of fungi is known as mycology, and is often regarded as a branch of botany, even though fungi are more closely related to animals than to plants."

Fungi are more closely related to animals then plants? What scientific basis is there for this to be on the wikipedia page with no citation.

Unless I am missing some piece of vital information I would say fungi are more closely related to plants then animals.

Okay, fine they aren't photosynthetic. But they DO feed off nutrients found in the substrate that they GERMINATE in don't they?

They sit it one place growing out of the ground!

How can anyone say that mushrooms are more closely related to animals then plants?

--------------------
My statistical assumption is that chemical tapering should begin when the rate of visiting ODD exceeds the rate of visiting Pub, or any other Shroomery forum.

Edited by Nuggetpouch (07/23/09 12:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleBeefy1
GONE

Loc: around
Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: Nuggetpouch]
    #10723995 - 07/23/09 12:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The first reason I can think of is fungi take in oxygen and give off CO2,  same as animals.  opposite plants.

I'm sure there are other differences/similarities.

Edited by Beefy1 (07/23/09 12:15 AM)

OfflineAircooled
Litre-A-Cola
 User Gallery

Loc: Chee...
Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: Beefy1]
    #10724117 - 07/23/09 12:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Also from Wiki

Fungi were previously included in the plant kingdom, but are now seen to be more closely related to animals. Unlike embryophytes and algae which are generally photosynthetic, fungi are often saprotrophs: obtaining food by breaking down and absorbing surrounding materials. Most fungi are formed by microscopic structures called hyphae, which may or may not be divided into cells but contain eukaryotic nuclei. Fruiting bodies, of which mushrooms are most familiar, are the reproductive structures of fungi. They are not related to any of the photosynthetic groups, but are close relatives of animals. Therefore, the fungi are in a kingdom of their own.

--------------------
"Jack thought it twice and thought that that had made it true. Some brains just work that way, that's what chemicals can do."

BTS

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: Beefy1]
    #10724227 - 07/23/09 12:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Fungi is a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants.  People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't.  Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals, and this is the reason that 12/12 light cycles work best.
RR

The fact that they germinate on their substrate and sit in one place has no bearing on what other organisms their processes resemble. Maybe RR can give you more input on this.

Until then think about this... animals are just faster moving organisms not that dissimilar from plants. We use rapid electrical signaling utilizing neurotransmitters to accomplish thinking and on a larger scale hormones to signal other cells in the body to do things. Plants have plant hormones like auxins to do the same thing. Animals mate to exchange haploid cells and combine them into diploid cells containing the complete set of genetic code that creates another animal. Plants can do the same thing through pollen. Are we that different? You can ignore this part, it's just my ramblings.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: Nuggetpouch]
    #10724245 - 07/23/09 12:45 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Nuggetpouch said:
Fungi are more closely related to animals then plants? What scientific basis is there for this to be on the wikipedia page with no citation.

Perhaps they were quoting me.  It's a fact.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7232931#7232931
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6002854#6002854
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9607938#9607938
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL, USA
Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: wygram]
    #10724260 - 07/23/09 12:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

wygram said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Fungi is a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants.  People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't.  Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals, and this is the reason that 12/12 light cycles work best.
RR

The fact that they germinate on their substrate and sit in one place has no bearing on what other organisms their processes resemble. Maybe RR can give you more input on this.

Until then think about this... animals are just faster moving organisms not that dissimilar from plants. We use rapid electrical signaling utilizing neurotransmitters to accomplish thinking and on a larger scale hormones to signal other cells in the body to do things. Plants have plant hormones like auxins to do the same thing. Animals mate to exchange haploid cells and combine them into diploid cells containing the complete set of genetic code that creates another animal. Plants can do the same thing through pollen. Are we that different? You can ignore this part, it's just my ramblings.

:jah:

InvisibleNiffla
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10724261 - 07/23/09 12:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Nice!

--------------------

LET'S MAKE THE GROWERY GREAT AGAIN (OR FOR THE FIRST TIME OR WHATEVER LOL IDK)

CLICK THE LINK BELOW

https://www.growery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/2

OfflineMacropinna
Knowledgeable Newbie
Male

Re: Wikipedias Definition of Fungus [Re: Niffla]
    #10724586 - 07/23/09 01:35 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They think that all fungi used to have a flagellate stage and lost it.  Only the chytrid phyla have retained this primitive characteristic and get mistaken for protozoa.

Chemical similarities are used a lot these days to classify organisms.  Plants store their energy in sugar, animals in glycogen.  Humans use glycogen.  Mushrooms use glycogen.  Mushrooms produce chitin.  So do insects.  I don't think any plants make chitin.

--------------------
"A hobby mycologist needs to learn patience." - Cervantes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles