Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Meditation
    #1071664 - 11/20/02 09:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

After reading Learyfan's meditation journal thread (great post btw) I realized that I just don't understand meditation. I've tried it a few times, but all I ended up doing was sitting in a half-sleep state (theta brain freqency is it?) and focusing on the rhythm of my breath. What is the goal exactly that one should be getting out of this? I've read that the purpose is to basically clear your mind and make it quiet so that you have a better understanding of things around you. Is it supposed to be like mental self-discipline?

On a side note I was wondering if this happens to anyone else: At a couple random times during the day my brain just seems to stop in the middle of a thought and I just zone out for a minute, like thinking of nothing at all. I'll just stare at some object or sometimes my vision becomes unfocused. This lasts for about 10-15 seconds before I snap back into the moment, unless I catch myself sooner and realize I'm doing it. Sometimes I think this might be my mind wanting to meditate, like it's telling me to chill the fuck out for a minute and clear my thoughts. Maybe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Meditation [Re: ]
    #1071709 - 11/20/02 09:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Probably.
The basic goal of meditation is to clear your mind and simply observe your thoughts and not interact with them. A goal to reach would be to be able to sit for one minute without a single thought entering your head... just nothingness..

This basically trains your mind to focus or concentrate on one particular object like you and that object are the only things that exist. Then you can work your way down to it just being you that exists. Meditating on candle is good.. just staring at the candle and being, no notions of what the candle is, seeing it like you have never seen a candle before.

There are many avenues you can explore through meditation, but the overall purpose is that it disciplines your mind, as you learn to control your thoughts better. You want to be in control of your thoughts. After all they effect your reality.

Once you are able to control your thoughts enough that you can completely clear it of thoughts, you will have razor sharp concentration skills. You can then further this ability by meditating on specific things, such as activating energy centers in your body, cleansings.. things of that nature. Of course you don't have to have the deep meditation concentration to do these exercises, but it certainly does help.

I think there are many different stages or ways of meditation, such as in the alpha state like when you are driving. There are also light meditations and very very deep ones. Absolutely, you can slip into a light meditation spontaneously if your subconscious desires some insight or peace. That is most likely your minds way of telling you to relax for a couple minutes and clear your thoughts and balance yourself.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Meditation [Re: Shroomism]
    #1071839 - 11/20/02 10:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks! That helps quite a bit. I'm gonna try again tonight with some concentration exercises. My mind's been all over the place lately due to a lot of things going on in my life. This'll definitely have some benefit.

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
    #1072559 - 11/21/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am right there with you man, I too also go into deep thouht randomly through the day.

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

Offlinequestforall
very-stranger
Loc: Vancouver BC
    #1076960 - 11/22/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

'Meditation is the upward voyage of the soul from the physical plane to the spiritual plane.
Neither Japa is mediation nor contemplation is meditation, not controlling the breath is meditation, or closing the eyes is meditation. Meditation is not a physical act or a mental act. It is purely a spiritual act. It is to be conscious of one’s own consciousness.
Just as a tortoise draws all its limbs inward, similarly, in meditation one has to draw one’s own consciousness from external objects and fix in one’s own self.
Meditation is a trio, of meditator, the process of meditation and the object of meditation, when they become one, real meditation takes place.
The root of concentration is meditation and the fruit of Meditation is concentration.
To achieve spiritual insight one has to take the self beyond the mind and intellect equipment. One can do so with practice of meditation.' - From someone with experience

not me

anyone who has had a 'level 5' trip will understand
but we forget, dont we

--------------------
Please look within. Try. Try more.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #1077077 - 11/22/02 02:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

those random times in the day where you just zone out, and block out everything and think of nothing, those are periods of self-hypnosis. A freind of a friend of mine is going to school studying hypnotherapy. It's kind of this self-induced hypnosis which sort of blocks out some of your senses. it's probably not as deep as being hypnotized by another, but then again i've never been under that.
when i meditate, i often see it at the very least as sitting just to sit. but at its best, i've come out of it with tears of love and universal compassion. i've seen deep inside myself and tried to straighten things out, or just 'stare' wonderously at my soul.
I certainly can never sit down and have any expectaitons, because that's like trying to focus on your peripheral vision. I know i have had a good sit when i emerge with a strong calm over me. content with what i look at when i open my eyes.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom