Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesystem32
Student of nature
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Misty Welsh mountains Flag
Causes Of Lipstick Mould?
    #10692181 - 07/17/09 02:25 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have a big problem, every grow of mushrooms I do, get to certain point in colinisation and get lipstick mould.

Now I have BRF+verm tek running thats got it, Wbs not yet, wbs casings got it, and a dunk and rolled cake in fc have got it twice.

I do pressure cook my jars at the correct temps and for the correct time periods don't ask what these are they are right, so I can rule that out.

inoculation procedure is done following the rr videos to the letter.

Could It be the enviroment im doing it in, they are all in diffrent areas of the same building but are suffering in very similar ways, to this same contam.

Do have dry verm layers and tyvek filters.

This camera don't pick it up the best but you can see it.

Sporendonema: A white mould which turns pink and clots the soil is known to growers as 'red
Geotrichum' and 'Lipstick Mould'. Classified as a Sporendonema, its exact identity has not been
finally established. It appears to be introduced with the compost, and to be stimulated by
inadequate ventilation and high humidity. Pasteurization of the compost at 131? F. for thirty-six
hours, and of the soil at 144? F. for half an hour, is stated by Sinden to kill it. In a number of
concurrent outbreaks in the summer of 1948, serious reduction of yield was reported by several
growers in different parts of England. Control in America is effected with calcium hypochlorite
dust. It should not be confused with Dactylium.

If so the fc is at 100% that means it could be poor ventilation?

Edited by system32 (07/17/09 02:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Causes Of Lipstick Mould? [Re: system32]
    #10693004 - 07/17/09 08:53 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Are you using a still air box? where did u get the syringe, whatever you are inoculating with may be contaminated

if you are getting mold after birthing, then you have to increase FAE

but it seems that the contam is being introduced at inoculation, either by you or the syringe

what temperature do they colonize at (too high can favor mold)? are you keeping the tin foil off (it should be taken off after sterilization)?
I like micropore tape for BRF cakes

Offlinesystem32
Student of nature

Re: Causes Of Lipstick Mould? [Re: ABC]
    #10693461 - 07/17/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The syringes when i get them, are clean they are from another shroomery user, I flame treat the needles before hand, also I am a fan of micropore. Saying that you've got thinking about my inoculation process and the fact they could be innoc with contams, the mould even follows the path of needle entry into the verm, you might have just found my problem.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Causes Of Lipstick Mould? [Re: system32] * 1
    #10694073 - 07/17/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

From the looks of your fingernails, I hope you're wearing surgical gloves when you inoculate.  If not, there's a likely cause.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebusyskull
Captain Amigo
Male

Loc: Tincan Mountain
Re: Causes Of Lipstick Mould? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10701466 - 07/18/09 09:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Clean your house alot, you want to make it a pretend surgical room, " im such a hypocrite, but i do it in a small semi empty room that has been really clean. even 100% outdoor samples.

--------------------
Agar Substitute <=== CLick Here for a good time!

Offlinesystem32
Student of nature

Re: Causes Of Lipstick Mould? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10709122 - 07/20/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ha ha mother on me case, i work in forestry i think i come naturally dirty lol, will try i have a pack of 100 clean gloves i cloud use too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale