Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Grateful Dead, Phish, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance?
    #10708646 - 07/20/09 12:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance?
July 20, 2009 - AlterNet

As the anti-drug program spread into 3/4 of all school districts by the '90s, America's youth enjoyed a psychedelic renaissance

The following is an excerpt from Ryan Grim's new book, This Is Your Country on Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America (Wiley, 2009) This is the 2nd excerpt in a series from the book. (Read the first excerpt here).

The D.A.R.E. program is now in three-quarters of all school districts, reaching more than twenty-five million American kids. It also has branches in more than fifty nations worldwide. Ironically, it was born just as more than a decade of rising drug use was ebbing among all age groups, including baby boomers, who now had the sorts of responsibilities that can preclude taking recreational drugs: careers, mortgages, and, most important, children.

Apprehensive new moms and dads in the eighties and early nineties helped make D.A.R.E. a global phenomenon, but they were surrounded by countless other sources of parenting help. Best sellers such as Melody Beattie’s Codependent No More and Charles Whitfield’s Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families, both published in 1987, helped to build a massive market in recovery and wellness literature during the period. Self-esteem, self-actualization, and self-help, pop-psychological leftovers from the individualistic sixties and narcissistic seventies, became buzzwords to live by as millions of Americans were introduced to their “inner child” and the potentially catastrophic consequences of neglecting it. “With our parents’ unknowing help and society’s assistance, most of us deny our Inner Child,” Whitfield writes of this hidden, wounded aspect of the psyche. “When this Child Within is not nurtured or allowed freedom of expression, a false or co-dependent self emerges.”

Motivational speaker John Bradshaw further popularized the notion with his 1990 best seller, Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child. He went on to host a ten-part TV special by the same title and to author four more self-help best sellers. Together, his books would sell more than ten million copies. He and Whitfield both identified a national psychological crisis that had been caused by neglectful, unloving, and “spiritually abusive” parents.

They urged boomers not to make the same mistakes while rearing their own children—whether the one within or the ones without. “Give your child permission to break destructive family roles and rules,” advises Bradshaw. “Adopt new rules allowing pleasure and honest self-expression.” He also assures readers that “mistakes are our teachers—they help us to learn.” Kids will make more mistakes than adults, he suggests, because “they have lots of courage. They venture out into a world that is immense and dangerous. Children are natural Zen masters; their world is brand new in each and every moment.” Children, therefore, shouldn’t be held back by rigid rules but allowed the freedom to explore. They shouldn’t be scolded but reasoned with. Parents should be friends and confidants, not authority figures. In a 1990 New York Times article, Wendy Kaminer summed up the codependency movement’s attitude toward parenting: “Shaming children, calling them bad, is a primary form of abuse.”

The movement was strong enough—and ostensibly permissive enough—to disturb some of the more conservative elements of American society. A columnist in Georgia’s Fayette Citizen was perplexed as late as 1998 by the proliferation of “parenting classes,” many taught by folks just out of college. He called one of the programs and spoke to its director. She told him that “the most prevalent problem is improper parental discipline,” which probably reassured spare-the-rod types. But that wasn’t all. “You wouldn’t believe how many parents still don’t realize that under no circumstances should spanking or hitting be used to discipline children,” she added. And “the second most frequent problem,” she said, “is not parents endangering children, but rather parents who try to ‘control’ their children, which stifles self-expression.”

She was working from a set of assumptions that was backed by more than just pop psychology. At a 1995 Aspen Institute program called “The Challenge of Parenting in the ’90s,” those gathered heard from Harvard professor Stuart T. Hauser, then-director of the school’s Judge Baker Children’s Center. Relying on a longitudinal study he published in 1991, he told the conference that the “chances of a teenager experimenting with new ideas and embracing new perceptions are greatly increased when he or she is in a family where curiosity and open-mindedness are valued, and uncertainty is tolerated.” The goal of his research, he said, was to “enhance” parenting “so that it will not interfere, obstruct, or aggravate the greatest difficulties during the teenage years.” The title of his lecture, “Adolescents and Their Families: Paths of Ego Development,” is telling—the family belongs to the child.

Few parents, of course, wanted no structure or discipline at all. Hauser, in his talk, recommended required educational programs dealing with violence, drugs, pregnancy, and school failure. For young potential psychonauts, the rise of the codependency movement and the spread of D.A.R.E. dovetailed fortuitously: Kids were encouraged to satisfy their curiosity, which uniformed officers piqued by waving baggies of pot in their faces during school.

Healthcare activist Mykey Barbitta says that his first exposure to marijuana came during a D.A.R.E.-like field trip to a police station in fourth grade. “They had that cabinet that had all the drugs in it and they said, ‘These are all dangerous,’” he recalled. “I saw marijuana sitting there at the bottom, right in the middle, and I’m like: this I can see, the needles, the pills. I can understand, in fourth grade, that those can hurt you. But how can that little leaf hurt you? I just had my doubts ever since then.”

Today, Barbitta is a drug dealer: he runs a state-sanctioned medical-marijuana shop in San Francisco.

Not surprisingly, the University of Michigan survey shows that just as the inner child was breaking out, LSD use among the children of the most educated parents—the sort who might watch a John Bradshaw special on PBS—began rising. According to most surveys, it’s almost always the children of the least educated parents whose drug use is the highest. But not for LSD in the nineties, especially in the Northeast and on the West Coast among white, educated young males.

In 1975, 11.2 percent of all twelfth-graders said that they’d used “hallucinogens” at least once that year. Use skewed toward males, with 13.7 percent claiming to have used compared to 9 percent of women. Use of LSD specifically stood at 7.2 percent. The numbers for both hallucinogens and LSD slowly declined over the next fifteen years, dipping to a low of 5.5 percent of all seniors having taken hallucinogens in 1988.

Then the trend started turning around, and by 1994, use of LSD was back to 1975 levels. Mid-nineties acidheads differed demographically from those of twenty years before, however. The Michigan survey breaks the nation into the Northeast, the North Central, the South, and the West. Acid use in the seventies was spread evenly throughout the country, save for the South, which lagged behind. As far back as the surveys go, blacks barely register on the hallucinogen scale. Whites top it, although Latinos aren’t far behind. The level of education of a child’s parents, however, played little role in whether that kid would try acid or hallucinogens.

Beginning in the late eighties, children of the most highly educated parents took the lead in acid use. In 1975, kids with uneducated parents used hallucinogens at precisely the same rate as kids of highly educated parents—and both groups used it less than children with moderately educated parents. By 1990, the kids of the highly educated were more than twice as likely to trip.

Meanwhile, kids in the Northeast cracked 13 percent for hallucinogen use in 1996 and 1997 and nearly hit 12 percent for acid in those years—the highest of any subgroup for both categories. Numbers for the West for these years are high, too, with a peak of 8.8 percent LSD use in 1996. Whatever their parents’ educational background, kids who said they wouldn’t be going to college or would be going for fewer than four years dropped acid at a significantly higher rate than others.

Acid’s sixties-era distribution network was there to meet the demand. The Grateful Dead, long known to be something of a psychedelics delivery service, had continued to tour throughout the eighties and dropped a top-ten comeback album, In the Dark, in 1987. The year before, Skeletons from the Closet: The Best of Grateful Dead, which had been released in 1974, earned Platinum certification by finally reaching one million copies sold. The nineties, though, saw sales really take off. In the Dark went double-Platinum in 1995, and the neophyte-friendly Skeletons hit double-Platinum in 1994 and triple-Platinum just six months later, in early 1995. The cultural comeback the Dead made was in evidence following that year’s drug-related death of front man Jerry Garcia, which played out on the cover of Newsweek and was memorialized with congressional speeches. LSD use among high-school and college students peaked at the same time.

College campuses in the early to mid-nineties were dominated by tie-dyes, some of which came from Dead shows, where hard-core fans set up not only T-shirt booths, but also a drug bazaar known simply as the Lot. There, youngsters all over the country could get a night of mind-blowing psychic exploration for as little as five dollars—and often for free. The Dead had company on the road, too. New England–founded jam band Phish and its southern counterpart, Widespread Panic, grew in popularity during the period. So did gatherings such as the Furthur Festival, which featured projects by various members of the Dead and replicated the Lot scene.

Psychedelia, despite the loss of Jerry Garcia, was on the rise.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: veggie]
    #10708689 - 07/20/09 12:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

DARE made me think about what I was missing out on. I was the only kid listening and staring at the DARE cop wandering "If it's so bad why do people do it?"

:failboat:

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: EdgeChaos]
    #10709047 - 07/20/09 02:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think anti-drug propaganda just makes free thinkers more interested, especially when the anti-marijuana ads are clearly bullshit :potleaf:

InvisibleInvisible_Woe Happy Birthday!

Loc: Mabase
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: skatealex2]
    #10709690 - 07/20/09 04:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i learned how to use whip-its from dare, but my opinion is this, its works on a very small amount of people and possible give other people the wrong idea and then the rest of people are like damn....i can totaly get into that shit.

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

OfflinePoopSoap
Genetically Modified Organism

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: skatealex2]
    #10709712 - 07/20/09 04:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I remember in health class back in like 9th grade when the teacher was discussing the effects of marijuana and I mumbled "well that kind of sounds like fun" which resulted in a "get out of my class, now! Go to the office I'll tell them you're on your way!" I got a huge lecture not to mention them being up my ass about if I was doing drugs. This was long before I ever experimented with anything though. I wish I could go back and blow that bitch a marijuana smoke kiss

Edited by PoopSoap (07/20/09 04:19 PM)

OfflineNymphaea
Money-less Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten Flag
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: PoopSoap]
    #10709844 - 07/20/09 04:35 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I never had DARE because I was home schooled early on.  I kind of wish that I had been able to see it, because I was not ready for the BS that many of my high school classmates had ingrained in their mind. 

I was surprised by how many friends, many of whom I thought of as free thinkers or at least sensible, I lost because they could not tolerate my marijuana use.  As soon as I told them they would start to preach propaganda to me.

Most of the time I lost them as friends because I told them the truth, which I backed up with actual studies and evidence.  (Much of which came from our high school library).  They where not used to being told factual data, and it offended them.  People are very offended when you prove something they believe wrong.  They are tied to their beliefs, so when I attack their beliefs they felt as if I was attacking them. 

They looked at me as if I where crazy and they laughed at me when I told them that I was going to show them studies.  Funny how your thought of as insane if you search for the truth instead of blindly following the leader.  It makes me sad seeing all the kids I went to high school with who did the latter. 

I was able to convert a couple kids though, so my marijuana evangelism was worth it in the end.

--------------------
:huxleyfacepalm:

OfflineJustChill
Male

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: Nymphaea]
    #10709928 - 07/20/09 04:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I too lost a lot of friends because of my Marijuana use.

I just thought it as ironic because they would think im crazy for smoking marijuana then they would go and drink their brains out and smoke cigarettes. very hypocritical.

OfflineNymphaea
Money-less Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten Flag
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: JustChill]
    #10709933 - 07/20/09 04:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JustChill said:

I just thought it as ironic because they would think im crazy for smoking marijuana then they would go and drink their brains out and smoke cigarettes. very hypocritical.

I forgot to mention that too!  That was annoying.

--------------------
:huxleyfacepalm:

OfflineRitual
Spore Collecter
Male
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: Nymphaea]
    #10710238 - 07/20/09 05:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

My DARE teacher ended up getting caught trafficking.  He was a detective on my local police force and dealt in hundreds of pounds of weed.  He got caught tipping off his dealers to investigations and would use his police status to mask or otherwise aid his weed empire.  I heard they set an example out of him and sentenced him to 25 years.

DARE was a joke to pretty much everybody.  We seen it for what it was (propaganda).  Even the poeple that had no interest in drugs just thought it was a big brotherish type of government fascism on personal choice.

Funny watching the videos of how drugs will melt your brain and make you look like a 35 year veteran of meth just by smoking a joint.

Edited by Ritual (07/20/09 05:41 PM)

OfflineCelebrity
How witty

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: Ritual]
    #10710469 - 07/20/09 06:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

After about five years of the idea that drugs are bad being shoved down my throat I resolved to start doing drugs as soon as possible. Then I found out they're actually good for you.

--------------------
[quote]TheShroomJew23 said:
Fuck Canada im moving to Vermont. [/quote]

InvisibleMushouse
Mycomancer

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: PoopSoap]
    #10710551 - 07/20/09 06:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I remember going through DARE class in elementary school and wishing I had some of those drugs. Also, at one point the cop took her gun out and showed us how it worked, trying to educate us on how dangerous it is, or maybe to befriend us I suppose. I really liked that gun, too.

A friend of mine and I made a short little rap with a beat and everything: "Dope is good for the brain! If you don't smoke dope you're insane!" There was also an extended version of that rap involving shooting a cop; I'm not really sure where that came from, but I know that DARE wasn't fixing it. Maybe it came from when the cop comes into an elementary school room, whips her gun out and starts talking about all these wacky drugs.

There was a point in one of the classes where the cop gives us a scenario: "So you go to a party -- and there are people drinking there..." That same friend of mine exclaims "cool!", or something to that effect. The cop starts lecturing him on how uncool alcohol actually is, then they called his mother (whom I actually saw drunk several times; ironic) and they made him write a paper on why someone should never use alcohol.

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: veggie]
    #10710730 - 07/20/09 07:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'll never forget being in D.A.R.E and being fascinated/frightened by the LSD story they decided to share.

I am sure I'm not the only one to remember the infamous young parents who took acid and then mistakenly cooked their baby in the oven hallucinating that it was a turkey. Supposedly people like cops are people who you should deem trustworthy but now it couldn't be more obvious how bullshit and ill informed information like that is.

I agree with this article. If they keep spitting shit like that at kids it is only going to press the intelligent ones to question what they are told and think for themselves.

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

OfflinePoopSoap

#10710804 - 07/20/09 07:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Nymphaea said:
Quote:

JustChill said:

I forgot to mention that too!  That was annoying.

Hypocritical yet typical.
The same still happens to me once in awhile. It's kind of funny when I hear about one of them saying behind my back that I've changed and I'm a drug addict now when all I do is smoke weed, I don't even drink lol. My favorite is when they are complaining to me about how terrible their hangover is and I'm just like oh yeah? never had one :grin:

OfflinePoopSoap

Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: PsilocybinMike]
    #10710825 - 07/20/09 07:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PsilocybinMike said:
I'll never forget being in D.A.R.E and being fascinated/frightened by the LSD story they decided to share.

I am sure I'm not the only one to remember the infamous young parents who took acid and then mistakenly cooked their baby in the oven hallucinating that it was a turkey. Supposedly people like cops are people who you should deem trustworthy but now it couldn't be more obvious how bullshit and ill informed information like that is.

I agree with this article. If they keep spitting shit like that at kids it is only going to press the intelligent ones to question what they are told and think for themselves.

I've heard that one before. I think I recall hearing through some anti drug program about this one guy who took acid once and became a different person for 10 years and then magically "woke up" and had kids, a wife, and a house he was not familiar with because apparently he was in like a secondary state of mind for so long caused by the acid. Long trip eh?

Offlinegnarfbuckle
Above The Ignorance
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan
    #10710899 - 07/20/09 07:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

DARE made me interested in drugs in the first place. THANKS DARE!!

Who didnt think it was awesome when they put those "beer goggles" on you and had you throw a ball around? It was so much fun i went home and got drunk that night!

Plus dare told me about all the other drugs I had never heard of or seen before. Good times.

Offlinebry314159
Stranger
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: gnarfbuckle]
    #10711725 - 07/20/09 10:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

A large percentage of my drug using friends, just like me and so many of you, also first became interested in drugs because of dare.  In that light, I'm thankful for the program, and hope it continues for some time.  I believe to will continue to open many more minds to both the wonder of drugs and the idiocy of the propaganda.

--------------------
"'Tis an ill wind which blows no minds." - Robert Anton Wilson

Offlineoxalic32
Male

Loc: .
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: bry314159]
    #10718338 - 07/22/09 01:12 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I remember my teacher saying if you took acid you would see a wall of snakes and jump out a window. It made me curious honestly. If you knew you were on acid would you be afraid of fake snakes? And what would convince you to jump out the window? I would never want to kill myself. It was pretty funny, too bad the story was probably a lie because taking LSD is nothing like teachers describe.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Did Anti-Drug Propaganda Help Bring About a Psychedelic Renaissance? [Re: oxalic32]
    #10718351 - 07/22/09 01:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, typical hallucinogen propaganda.  If I ever fell out of my window at home, it wouldn't make for a very interesting news story the next morning.

"Man found tripping and uninjured in the bushes after plunging 2 feet from an open window"

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Grateful Dead, Phish, Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service