Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegolden1
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: north korea
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: AmericanPsycho]
    #10705483 - 07/19/09 06:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I feel like most people could fit into that description at some point in their life,
looking at the list of symptoms it seems like lowering anxiety and depressive feelings would be a good start.
I'll offer somethings that could help:

phenibut(can be bought online, really cheap) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenibut
it seriously makes a difference, all those extra thoughts which are worrying seem to stop and it helps
me to articulate my thoughts more clearly to others. you just have to remember to cycle it and not use it
every day.

choline which is converted into the neurotransmitter acetylcholine also helps lower anxiety to a lesser but still
apparent amount. others seem to report the same http://www.google.com/search?q=choline+anxiety

5-htp is converted into serotonin and has been shown to help depression. in my experience it did increase selfesteem

of course maybe you don't want to use chemicals, as I doubt they will be a permanent fix (although choline is really cheap and could
easily be used every day with no negative impact.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmericanPsycho
Abomination of Nature
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandy SR2 Flag
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: golden1]
    #10705712 - 07/19/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I heard the illegal drugs work pretty good too

--------------------

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #10705924 - 07/19/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have issues of my own bro, so I sorta know what you're going through with this one...but in my case though - both of my parents were mentally unstable as it were anyway, so I kinda already knew (even at an early age) that I was bound to wind up with *something* myself

plus - my 'problems' are all delusional at their core, and I've pretty much never really lived in the same world as everyone else anyway...so I've certainly had plenty of time to come to grasps with the fact that 'my world' simply ISN'T the same world as everyone else's

but it's okay though - cause I like my fantasy land better then the horror stories I hear from others about the world they live in  :muppet:

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10705942 - 07/19/09 08:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AmericanPsycho said:
I heard the illegal drugs work pretty good too

yeah...I medicated myself fora long time there before the state finally decided to pick up the tab  :smirk:

I'm pretty sure I liked those drugs a helluva lot better then the ones 'they mayun' insists I take though  :mad2:

--------------------

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #10705952 - 07/19/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

self-diagnosis is a blessing and a curse. don't start justifying your actions and getting all worked up about it because you've read some things online and it sounds like your current situation. most of the psychological disorders are just ways to classify a certain segment of the population's personality and attitudes, and is not like a disease that is stuck with you for life. these are just broad terms that psychologists use when describing the way people act.

i'm not saying you aren't right, but once you give a scientific name to a certain set of actions, people can get into the mindset of "omg i have this disorder" and in the long run, it only worsens their situation.

don't think of yourself as a freak or anything. if we all looked through the DSM-IV, i'm sure we could all find at least one disorder that applied to us, if not several.

what you can do is use this information to recognize the behavior, and learn to cope with it. the truth is, it's all in your head, and you CAN condition yourself to ignore it if you want. the most important thing is just realizing and accepting that it's who you are. if you want to change who you are, then you can. it's not something to be ashamed of though.

btw i'm a psych major and have battled depression myself, so i do have a little experience with this stuff.

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

#10706152 - 07/19/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I would be very cautious of self-diagnosing any Personality disorder.  The symptoms listed in the DSM are particularly vague for this grouping of disorders.  As Justin_thyme rightly suggested, a self-fulfilling prophecy is definitely a possibility and danger with this kind of action.

From my understanding, the personality disorders are some of the least researched psychological abnormalities.  Furthermore, personality disorders are EXTREMELY hard to get rid of - that is, if the afflicted ever does.

To the people who seem to believe abnormal psych categorically is something you can just "think your way out of," sorry but that is simply incorrect - i.e. bipolar disease which, to my knowledge, requires drugs to cure.

My advice to the original poster would be to speak to a qualified psychologist/support groups as you have been doing.  As with anything, making yourself better takes real work and effort.

Best of luck! :gethigh:

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

Edited by All We Perceive (07/19/09 08:52 PM)

OfflineLicHmicrO
Simply Scrumptious
Male

Loc: Ky, USA
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: Muppet]
    #10706493 - 07/19/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Muppet said:
I have issues of my own bro, so I sorta know what you're going through with this one...but in my case though - both of my parents were mentally unstable as it were anyway, so I kinda already knew (even at an early age) that I was bound to wind up with *something* myself

plus - my 'problems' are all delusional at their core, and I've pretty much never really lived in the same world as everyone else anyway...so I've certainly had plenty of time to come to grasps with the fact that 'my world' simply ISN'T the same world as everyone else's

but it's okay though - cause I like my fantasy land better then the horror stories I hear from others about the world they live in  :muppet:

I can second all of the points made in that quote, once I took this viewpoint, it was alot easier to deal with people.  Once I understood how I was different from others I understood how to handle myself around others

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: LicHmicrO]
    #10707396 - 07/20/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've found the BEST way to deal with it is to not respond to anything until someone else notices it first  :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
    #10707425 - 07/20/09 01:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Everyone should watch this video, the last minute is the part I want you guys to focus on. Many things that are considered 'disorders' can be turned into gifts if used the right way.

This guy is a genius, he's funny, and his message is amazing. If you don't have time for the whole thing, watch the last 1-2 minutes of it. Hell, just fast forward to 15:30 and watch from there.

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: Drewwyann]
    #10707704 - 07/20/09 02:37 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Shit man, I don't see a video. I'm not saying that you don't see a video, but I certainly don't.

Is it the one about this Scottish psych whose name escapes me for the moment? Because that's a great vid.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
    #10707711 - 07/20/09 02:39 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

maybe you have anxiety and a little bit of some hypochondria

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Loc: australia
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: igwna]
    #10707794 - 07/20/09 03:30 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thats exactly what i thought when he said he hates hypochondriacs

some of them could be classified as having a real mental illness but not everyday hypochondrics that tell you every little ache and pain they get while youre sitting there with unmended scars all over the inside and outside of your body and head

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Loc: North Alabama
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: filthee]
    #10708061 - 07/20/09 06:52 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

There is a difference between hypochondriacs and the people you describe, who act as if it is glamourous to describe their ailments and their pessimistic view of their physical situation.

Most hypochondriacs don't bother people with their constant worries and diagnoses of theirselves.

To the OP, I think HelpMe1 has probably hit the nail on the head.

A lot of people go through awkward social phases.

I feel I am pretty damn good at being social, where I balance a fine line of being extensively polite with the ability to turn into a smartass in a hot minute, if someone tries to take advantage of the nice guy routine.

At one time, I would have thought I had AvPD too.

At times I still feel a little socially awkward, though nobody would likely guess it.

You're likely just a sweet person who puts too much thought into other peoples' view of you.

Try not to let AvPD encompass who you are.

You can likely break the mold.

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

OfflineAmericanPsycho
Abomination of Nature
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandy SR2 Flag
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #10708083 - 07/20/09 07:05 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think I'm schizoid more than anything though.

--------------------

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

Loc: here.
    #10708149 - 07/20/09 07:33 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i now feel like a nutjob myself after reading through this thread:crazy:

jesus christ.

yea i had almost all those symptoms of AvPD, but i guess i more or less grew out of it, or i just dont notice anymore.

the thing is, at least for me, is you gotta do what you really want to do in whatever situation without symptomx holding you back. dont overthink.
then it gets easier.

the initial change is always the hardest.
why do my fingers smell like pussy?:strokebeard:

--------------------
I need Jesus.

OfflineLicHmicrO
Simply Scrumptious
Male

Loc: Ky, USA
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: thoughts]
    #10708170 - 07/20/09 07:39 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Once I started being a dick to stupid people, my symptoms cleared up rather nicely

I just pick and choose whos emotions I am concerned about now, rather than worrying about everyone not getting butthurt by what I say and do, cause I know my personality clashes with alot of other people's personalities, so why fight it :shrug:

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

#10709698 - 07/20/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
It's kind of embarrassing but I think I have AvPD. I've been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression in the past which I've been to counseling for. However, like I was saying the struggles have become overwhelming in the last few months. And when I read about AvPD, it sounds exactly like what I'm going through. I'm not a hypochondriac, I hate hypochondriacs. I've spent a week thinking and researching and question myself about AvPD. I've spent a lot of time reading AvPD forums. I don't think I'm wrong on this.

Yea, and I was diagnosed with ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, Aspargers syndrome, and many others.

IT IS ALL A TON OF SHIT. I found I have no "dis"order, no "syndrome", no shit like that. I am gifted. Gifted in that my mind can handle thousands of different peaces of information all at once, and that if I had to say 5% of what I am thinking I'd be constantly rambling and rambling and rambling a ton of incomprehensible nonsence. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with me, that means our language is insufficient, and that I can handle more information at any given time than most around me, and if I had to transfer even a small percentage of that information to someone else, there minds will overload. Why is it that most people diagnosed with ADHD are super smart. Einstein was said to have had ADHD. That means, there isn't something wrong at all, if anything, there is something wrong with the society because it cannot handle any other system of operation than that of the masses. It is this way by design, but I won't go into it right now.
I know now that my so called ADHD is no disorder, but the greatest gift I have ever received from this universe.

Even heard of "Indigo Children" or "Crystal Children". It is a fairly new age concept, but it can be understood through almost any point of view that is slightly different from the mainstream bullshit.

If you are diagnosed with a mental illness, REJOICE!! And find a way for it to come to your benefit. STAY AWAY FROM THE SHIT DRUGS THEY WILL TRY AND SMEAR OFF ON YOU. That shit destroyed my from the inside out, it took away my soul, ripped it apart, and scattered it over the dark corners of the universe, and I am still picking up the shards one by one.

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
    #10710966 - 07/20/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You know, as much as I despise the labeling of mental illnesses and all that, this post was very inspiring.  I read through the symptoms and drew a ton of similarities to my own psyche - almost to the 'T'.

Today I went out and made an effort to, instead of isolate myself, act more on impulse and just see what happened.  And guess what, it felt great!  I even made an effort to compliment this guys car that lives next to me that I thought was cool.  In the process of doing that, I met a couple of awesome people that live right next door that I would have never met had I not made the effort.

Two big thumbs up for the wake up call :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Realizing you have a mental illness *DELETED* [Re: D4NK]
    #10711057 - 07/20/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by StrandedVoyager

Reason for deletion: DELETING MY ACCOUNT

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

OfflineWet
maybe

Re: Realizing you have a mental illness [Re: Viveka]
    #10711418 - 07/20/09 07:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I could definitely be diagnosed as AvPD.  I think its important to keep in mind that this is just a name given to a group of behaviors.  It is not some incurable disease that science has finally discovered.  Seems to me that it would be of benefit for AvPDites to delve into some self inquiry.

--------------------
EARTH E ART HEART HEAR THE ART

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom