Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDaVinci
Liberal Pinko Commie

Considering ending my career as a shroom grower...
    #10683051 - 07/15/09 06:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry, but there's a lot of back story to this, so bear with me.
When I was in high school, a friend of mine who was really into shrooms, but not much else, got some shrooms that an autopsy later determined were laced with PCP. That fact that he wasn't really interested in deliriants fits that assessment in my mind.

Initial details are sketchy, because he took them by himself (we think.) in the early hours of the morning, he was naked, running around with a kitchen knife, cutting himself, breaking neighbors windows and yelling at people. When the police responded, he charged the cop car, ran up the hood and over the windshield, and tried to attack the officers. (I know this because the local news released the dash-cam footage to the public.) They shot him in the chest several times and he died at the hospital later.

I was pretty busted up about it, obviously, but after a few years in college, I decided to start growing mushrooms myself. I had this idea that maybe if I could show people what a beautiful experience they can be, and warn them to know where their drugs come from, I could somehow help educate people about "smart" and safe use.

It's several years later now, I've graduated college, and I've been rethinking my decision. It seems more and more, the shroom community I give shrooms to just wants to "get fucked up," and does stupid things like combine 4 or more drugs at a time and go to a party. Furthermore, both in person and on these forums, I've been called an outright liar when I've tried to explain my unfortunate experiences with PCP and emphasize the need to know where you are getting your "stuff" from (whatever the "stuff" may be.)  :uhoh:

Between getting called a liar, being worried about what will be done with the shrooms I give out, and feeling like I might just be making this whole thing worse, I'm starting to think maybe I should just give it up completely, pack up my shit and throw it in the dumpster, and ditch the whole scene.

What do you all think? Am I overreacting? Or is what I do just not helping, and not worth it?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

Loc: The Kan-Abyss
Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: DaVinci]
    #10683102 - 07/15/09 06:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I grow shrooms because I want to. I enjoy the experience (not just tripping but the care and anticipation of creating the fruits from spores). For me it is spiritual.

You say you are trying to introduce other people to the experience so that they can enjoy the spiritual aspect as well. This to me seems like a bad idea. If I have friends who I know just want to get fucked up, I'll party with them but I'm not going to waste any time trying to change them. They have to see that on their own.

You should consider going into a solo mode for a while. Grow some but don't tell anyone about. Just enjoy them for yourself. Use the alone trip to try and figure out how to help people understand where you are coming from.

Or, if you really feel like you need to take a break, do that.

--------------------

"That's the vernacular, isn't it?" --Mrs. Peel

OfflineAfro
Canadian

#10683109 - 07/15/09 06:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

nah dude we need more people like you... forget the people that called u a liar and shit. your doing the right thing! rock on brother!!:peace:

--------------------

OfflineTekLogiX
Old Skool Shroomerite
Male

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: Afro]
    #10683229 - 07/15/09 07:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Right on Man!  We need people like you on "our side".  Those that know the difference between those two realities and work to shift the collective paradigm.

Be strong and it'll pay off ten-fold...  I totally understand where you come from.  Just trip Solo and ask the mushroom to give you insight and well you may be very surprised!

Peace man

OfflineAfro
Canadian

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: TekLogiX]
    #10683249 - 07/15/09 07:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:werd:

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #10683586 - 07/15/09 08:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

got any links?

i dont mean to be an asshole, but it just sounds like bullshit. I cant see anyone taking the time and money to "lace" mushrooms with pcp.
also, while I have never taken pcp, people i know, including my brother have, and they have all said it was a great trip and nothing like all the pcp stories would have you believe.
Im not saying he didnt have pcp in his system, im just guessing he took too much on accident while experimenting.

also, pcp is a dissociative, not a deliriant.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #10683714 - 07/15/09 08:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

also, pcp is a dissociative, not a deliriant.

PCP can be very delirious, drugs aren't so easily pigeon holed, the lines are blurred.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #10683743 - 07/15/09 08:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If the only reason why you've been growing shrooms is to give them out to people, then I'm thinking that you might be concerned about the reactions of the people who used to get shrooms from you? If so, fuck them, man. If they care so much they can grow their own.

But as for giving up growing, what's with the melodrama. If you stop growing for a while, what does it matter? You know how to grow them and have the equipment, so you could start up again any ol' time you wanted, or not. I'm trying to understand the significance of it. Could you explain?

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10683749 - 07/15/09 08:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

not in a scientific classification.

Invisiblestereolab
Wizard
Male

Loc: NY
Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #10684674 - 07/15/09 11:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, the "fucked up" mentality sucks but there will always be pure psychonauts to sell to.  Just hook those guys up and let the other people get fucked up- at least they're using shrooms instead of meth, or something.

--------------------
Space is
the Place
:aum:

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: stereolab]
    #10685717 - 07/16/09 02:25 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

stereolab said:
Yeah, the "fucked up" mentality sucks but there will always be pure psychonauts to sell to.  Just hook those guys up and let the other people get fucked up- at least they're using shrooms instead of meth, or something.

I'm sorry about your friend and all.  I can understand a troubled conscience about mushrooms but you don't have to grow just in order to distribute mushrooms.  You can pick and choose who to give them to and under what circumstances they will be disseminated.  I can understand that you just don't feel great about mushrooms in general under your circumstances, though, and maybe time apart from them would help you gain a new appreciation for them once more.

Also, YawningAnus, I don't understand the point of your posting.  The OP talked about being called a liar and really your posts aren't clarifying anything or helping anyone.  You admit you haven't taken PCP yourself so what's to say about it?  It is well known that PCP can cause unpredictable behavior, and that coupled with insensitivity to pain and other substances in the body has led to many extreme circumstances.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: PoC]
    #10686712 - 07/16/09 08:49 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

because too many people blame their behavior on drugs, which gives drugs a bad name. Unless you are willing to say that PCP is a useless drug that cannot be controlled properly, then you really shouldnt be saying anything because anything else is merely taking responsibility off the consumer.

Quote:

It is well known that PCP can cause unpredictable behavior, and that coupled with insensitivity to pain and other substances in the body has led to many extreme circumstances.

any more than any other hallucinogens? have you taken pcp? if not, how are you making a judgment about it? I doubt much is well known about pcp from a public opinion standpoint being as probably less than a tenth of a percent of the population has ever had personal experience with it.

lets even say that the story the op posted is true.... was the guy not on atleast two drugs that we know of? why do we lay blame on the pcp, and furthermore, why are we laying blame on the drugs at all?

OfflineDaVinci
Liberal Pinko Commie

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: stereolab]
    #10687318 - 07/16/09 12:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the support, everyone.

YawningAnus, it's ok, I understand where you're coming from, and thanks for not being an asshole about it.

It's true, it is EXTREMELY rare for mushrooms to be laced with anything at all. I am not by any stretch of the imagination trying to say, "look out, a ton of shrooms are laced," because that's simply not true. (Though cops keep trying to say differently.) Sorry for using the word deliriant instead of dissociative, my tongue slipped.

There used to be a link on the local news channel, but this was more than 5 years ago, so it might not still be up. I'll look for it though. I was really pissed when they released the video because they turned it into this horror story about shrooms and weed laced with pcp.

There indeed HAVE been several violent attacks/murders that were pcp related, and even researchers will admit that it's effects can be quite variable. I'm not against responsible drug use at all, but I think pcp should be used very cautiously.

--------------------

OfflineDaVinci
Liberal Pinko Commie

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: Mufungo]
    #10687365 - 07/16/09 12:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mufungo said:
If the only reason why you've been growing shrooms is to give them out to people, then I'm thinking that you might be concerned about the reactions of the people who used to get shrooms from you? If so, fuck them, man. If they care so much they can grow their own.

But as for giving up growing, what's with the melodrama. If you stop growing for a while, what does it matter? You know how to grow them and have the equipment, so you could start up again any ol' time you wanted, or not. I'm trying to understand the significance of it. Could you explain?

Well, my biggest concern is the people I give them to mixing the shrooms with loads of other drugs, among other irresponsible things. If any of them were to do something stupid and get hurt badly, or get themselves killed, I would feel awful.

I know it would be entirely their own fault, they make their own stupid decisions, and they have to deal with the consequences. But I still would feel I enabled them to put themselves in that situation. I guess that's what I'm getting at, more than anything. does that make any sense?

--------------------

InvisibleEverlong
King of the Neckbeards
Male

Loc: Poconos Flag
    #10687385 - 07/16/09 12:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Wow dude I actually remember watching the dash cam footage, I remember the whole story.

That's crazy, sorry to hear it was your friend. :eek::sad:

I would say keep doing what you like to do. Share with only those that come to you with genuine interest. If people want the truth, they will seek it.

Besides that, keep the hobby for yourself. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineVelvet Waltz
Stranger
Male

#10687817 - 07/16/09 02:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think the specific details of the friend and the possible PCP connection is even relevant to the OP's point.
Does it matter if you love PCP and believe the story?
The point is there was a traumatic experience that has affected peoples minds.

DaVinci, despite this being the Shroomery, I think the answer isn't always to listen to the drugs or whatever people say.
I also don't think its melodramatic for this to feel like an all or nothing deal and for it to feel like there is something you need to address.

Psychedelics are certainly powerful, both for you and those who you try to introduce them to. There is only so much you can gain yourself and, as others have said, there is only so much you can offer others before it is up to them to decide how they want to live and think, and certainly how mushrooms relate to that experience.

As stated, it wouldn't be hard to take a break from trying to produce and distribute them, you can always start again. It certainly weighs heavier on one as opposed to simply having a trip for yourself without trying to get others turned on.

As with many drugs, they should be a reflection and enhancement to the life you live, only a means to an end, and not the final destination itself.

OfflineDaVinci
Liberal Pinko Commie

Re: Considering ending my career as a shroom grower... [Re: Velvet Waltz]
    #10688562 - 07/16/09 04:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the insight everyone. I've thought it over for a little bit, and slept on it, and I think it is indeed best if I just take a break for a while. If I do grow during this period, it will just be for me, maybe a very select few others who feel about them the way I do.

I think you are right that attitudes and responsibility are lifestyle choices that others have to decide for themselves, and that I should worry more about my own conscience. I think for me that means just not growing right now. As Velvet_Waltz and others have said, it's not like it would be hard to start back up someday. I think this way, I'll feel good about my life decisions on a day-to-day basis, and not feel like I'm "enabling" others to abuse/disrespect something I consider very special.

I think the_drummer also touched on something important: The enjoyment and self-improvement of growing mushrooms is very real for me as well. Growing has (by necessity) improved my patience, attention to detail, ability to design and build things, and keep my house clean! (gotta keep the mold spores down right? :smirk:) Most importantly, it helps me better appreciate mushrooms and give them the respect they deserve.

So thanks everyone, for your input, and I'll be sure to dole out some shroom ratings as thanks for your advice!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains