Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Air & Substrate Temperature as pinning trigger?
    #10677437 - 07/14/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

It's well known that temperature changes are a pinning trigger for many species of fungi. Although I know it is not NECESSARY for p. cubensis, I'm curious to whether or not it would aid in triggering primordial formation?

Of course FAE, 95%+ humidity, and light cycles are all major triggers. I want to know if dropping the air/substrate temperature will aid in switching from vegetative growth to fruiting?

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Air & Substrate Temperature as pinning trigger? [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #10677474 - 07/14/09 07:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

When you take your bulk tub out of confinement and introduce it to fruiting conditions, it's going to have a temperature drop. So obviously temperature is a part of the pinning process.
If you had a very well controlled grow room, and a good isolate, you could find an exact temp range for a particular individual race. But for "just cubes', it probably doesn't matter that much.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air & Substrate Temperature as pinning trigger? [Re: Doc_T]
    #10677509 - 07/14/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I am thinking that lack of new food and fresh air are your best pinning triggers, followed by lighting. 

Optimum pinning/fruiting temps will always be right around 76F with any cub.

As for the temp drop, it sure cannot hurt your chances of a good pin set to drop your temp from 82F to 76F or so.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10677564 - 07/14/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

When you take your bulk tub out of confinement and introduce it to fruiting conditions, it's going to have a temperature drop.

While I believe that statement is true to a degree, I think it isn't always true.

Sure when you start FAE, it will drop the temp maybe 2-5 degrees. However, the range would be dependent on air temperature. As the substrate will always remain a few degrees warmer than the ambient air temperature. Say for example if one moved thier tub from a room with an ambient temp of 78 to a room with an ambient temp of 68, then introduced fruiting conditions. Would this speed up the transition from vegetative growth to fruiting phase as opposed to introducing fruiting conditions in the same room the sub was colonized at?

Commercial growers control the air temps of thier grow rooms for that reason. Of course we're talking different species, but I was curious if it would have a decent impact.

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10677588 - 07/14/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Sure, but commercial growers are working with an isolated substrain, and commercial-style environmental controls. I'm sure there's a "best temperature profile", but equally sure there's about a thousand other things to nail down first.

But it's certainly worth investigating. You should get a couple of min/max thermometers w/ remote probes, to put in the centers of the tubs and measure internal temp. And another to measure room temp.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10677624 - 07/14/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ya I thought about doing an experiment like that Doc after reading Mushroom Cultivator.

However, in order to have any type of accurate results, I would first need an isolated strain to work with. Which is the project I'm working on now! Still trying to get all the supplies for my flow hood.

--------------------

Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Loc: the earf
    #10677735 - 07/14/09 08:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I believe a drop in temp may not be 100% necessary to transition from veggie to fruiting, but it sure does help along with FAE and just a little ambient light......:thumbup:

--------------------
Everything and anything said by this person or thru this account is completely fictional and/or hypothetical fantasy and should not be taken seriously and do not reflect the views or actions of the account holder.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air & Substrate Temperature as pinning trigger? [Re: george castanza]
    #10679979 - 07/15/09 06:08 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
I am thinking that lack of new food and fresh air are your best pinning triggers, followed by lighting. 

Optimum pinning/fruiting temps will always be right around 76F with any cub.

As for the temp drop, it sure cannot hurt your chances of a good pin set to drop your temp from 82F to 76F or so.

Just pointing out it isn't a lack of food it's full colonization of the food source. The nutrient source is still almost fully intact.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air & Substrate Temperature as pinning trigger? [Re: hyphae]
    #10681478 - 07/15/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I am thinking that full colonization of the food source would be the same thing as a lack of new food to colonize, for some reason I just worded it different this time, sorry for any confusion.  :shrug:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Air & Substrate Temperature as pinning trigger? [Re: george castanza]
    #10684203 - 07/15/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm still convinced that temperature does assist in changing to the pinning stage.

I mean it makes sense to me. In nature, they're triggered to pin usually after rainfalls when the mycelium is at the surface, reaching fresh air where there aren't CO2 concentrations. Well anytime it rains, there is generally a slight drop in temperature coinciding with the shower.

Just a theory, but it makes sense in my head at least :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10684482 - 07/15/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If so, then you should try to time the temperature drop so the center of the tub is starting to cool down (and outer parts would be already cooler) as you put it in the FC.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10684688 - 07/15/09 09:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's precisely what I'm going to attempt.

About 1-2 days before introducing pinning conditions I'm going to move it to a room about 8-12 degrees cooler than where the sub/casing colonized.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10684932 - 07/15/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

And just let it finish up at that lower temp, before introducing it to abundant FAE and 12/12 light all at once?
Yeah, that'll induce a pinset alright. :yesnod: Oh yeah.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10685026 - 07/15/09 10:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yup. Let it chill in the dark with CO2 built up, but a lowered temp for a day or two.

Then open up the FAE holes, light on and 95%+ ambient humidity.

That should do it! I'll be sure to update it in my thread on that tub here.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #10686711 - 07/16/09 06:49 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Perfect! Using as many influences as possible will cause the best response IME.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags