Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Corn On The Cobweb, ContamiNation
    #1068528 - 11/20/02 01:44 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hero,
I have been having a little battle with cobweb mold in my casings. I searched through the archives and the faq, and I evenutally came accross this link:
http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/1389.html?#POST48

It seems like a good idea, my question is who has tried this, and did it work?

Is it a good idea for me to spray my casings (cobwebs) with H2O2 and then take a fork and rake the top layer around a bit? I feel like I should do this, as I have heard that it is a good thing to do to help the mycelium colonize the entire casing quicker...but will it help or hurt the cobwebs more? And what of a very mild bleach solution? Or alcohol being sprayed upon the cobwebs? If Im carefull, will this kill the cobs and only injure the mycelium? Kind like chemo therapy?

Go ahead and flame away at me if you feel you must, but I really found no follow-up info or other users data and feedback about this.

Now, as long as Im babbling about stuff...I was gonna make a seperate post for this issue, but I decided that ill just get flamed for everything at once in one thread:

I had a batch of jars all PC'd and ready to go (Although I did over-cook them a bit) And I had my syringe out, and my various little jars of H2O2, Alcohol, Water, etc for keeping things sterile.
I had made a jar with a hole in the lid with the spore print in it, and I was squirting watwer through the holes to make the syringes with...buty I am pretty sure that in my absent minded haze, I squirted H2O2 into the sporeprint jar!

It has take nearly two weeks for the jars to just START to grow mycelium...some of them are still baren...but it could be because they where a bit over cooked.

But there IS mycelium growing! If I keep doing this, will I eventually create a strain that is resistant to H2O2? And is that a GOOD thing?

What sorts of anti-biotics have people tried? I noticed at the fish-store that they have whole shelves devoted to this fungucide, and that anti-something or other, and all kinds of crap to put in aquarium water to keep fishies healthy...Anyone tried any of these for fending off contams?

Would it be worthwhile to develope something that specifically attacks and kills cobweb mold, but leaves mycelium standing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: Corn On The Cobweb, ContamiNation [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1068577 - 11/20/02 02:06 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If I had a contamination problem like that, good riddence for the problem would be thrown away. Mold, I don't like much...

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Corn On The Cobweb, ContamiNation [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #1068596 - 11/20/02 02:12 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

But Im such a pack-rat! I dont like to throw anything away...especially when the cobweb mold is barely getting a foothold and the mycelium is taking off.

I have these casings in a plastic shoe-box sized container, and they are quite a bit wetter then they should have been. (I was a bit unscrupulous with measuring the water into the substrate...which is cow poop and verm)

Is there any safe way to dry them out a bit? I was thinking of taking a different lid that fits the container, and putting a hole in it, and then attaching an airline hose connected to a well-filtered aquarium pump, and putting that on the casing box, and hoping that the steady flow of dry air would dry out the casing...because these lids are not absolutely air-tight.

Got any thoughts on that?

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1068942 - 11/20/02 05:57 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Does anyone know of a method for drying out casings that are just too wet?

And any sort of antibiotics that would help destroy cobweb mold? Or other kinds of mold?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1069052 - 11/20/02 07:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Does anyone know of a method for drying out casings that are just too wet? 

I recently had a straw casing that was accidently drowned by a well meaning but ignorant friend. After scraping off the entire casing layer I turned the container upside down and let it drain for several hours. I replaced the casing layer,  put it back in the incubator and in two days it was ready to fruit again.  :laugh: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Corn On The Cobweb, ContamiNation [Re: dog]
    #1070490 - 11/20/02 02:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm...I guess I could try this....but wont the casings just fall out everywhere and make a huge mess?

Thankks for replying!

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Corn On The Cobweb, ContamiNation [Re: dog]
    #1078872 - 11/23/02 05:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am so proud of myself! I am marching around the house with my little chest all puffed out like a perky little schoolgirl!

I figured out, all by my little self, how to DEhydrate an overly-wet casing!

My casings are in shoebox sized plastic containers...and I had a lovely crop of cobwebmold sprouting here and there in it. I knew that too much moisture was a cause and opening for contams...And I have read on this forum about exposing the whole thing to light to help kill off the cobweb mold....

Soooooo...

I took my casing and put it on top of a heating pad, then I took a much larger rubbermaid type clear plastic container, and inverted it over my casing container...which I had removed the lid from. (I actually placed the inverted one over the other, THEN I reached in and took off the lid...to avoid more contams falling in it.)

I put a large infrared heat lamp a couple of feet away, shining on the inverted container, and a blacklight (Ultraviolet) shining on the container. I turned the heat pad on MEDIUM. I also put a thermometer inside the inverted container...to keep track of temps, as well as a thermometer probe between the heat pad and the casing container, to keep track of THAT temp as well.

THEN I filled a metal cake pan with ice, and set it on top of the inverted container.

The heat pad and the lights warm up the casing, while also killing (I hope) the cobweb mold. The warmth ALSO evaporates the water in the casing, which travels up to where the cold cold pan of ice is sitting above, and condenses there...thus drawing it out of the casing, making them dryer, and less contam prone.

A human (or animal) gets a fever as a means of heating up and attempting to kill off bacteria and germs that cause infections....But just like mycelia, a too hot of temperature will do damage, or kill. SO I am hoping that I can heat this casing up to kill (and dry out) the cobweb, without killing the mycelia....and that the infra, and ultra lights will help with this.

Now....did I just do something really stupid by shining a black (ultraviolate) light onto my mycelia?

I thought I had read that this is actually BAD for mycelia? Any thoughts or advice on this?

I wanted to share my new "Tek", as I think others have had this same problem of making a csing way too wet.

I have also been singing lullabyes, and thinking good thought towards my ailing casing.

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1081139 - 11/24/02 03:50 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Wanted to bump this to the top....Could anyone lend some thoughts or advice on this?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures