Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Department Of Homeland Security
    #1068563 - 11/20/02 02:01 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

So what do you think about the approvial of this organization?
"The most sweaping overhaul of government security in over 50 years"

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1068941 - 11/20/02 05:52 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think we're fucked.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1068953 - 11/20/02 06:03 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

grap your ankles...

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1068954 - 11/20/02 06:05 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Do you think that these implementations could effect our peaceful community?

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1068970 - 11/20/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

do you mean the shroomery?

if so i'd say not really.....but i'm not really sure either. all we can do is sit and wait.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: ]
    #1068982 - 11/20/02 06:31 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i think its bullshit. supposedly we need this because we are so vulnerable to be attacked by other countries. they want to attack us because they dont believe we should be allowed all of the freedoms we have. but this new bill takes our freedoms away.
we spend what? somewhere around $100 billion on homeland security. if someone really wants to get us, they will. they can slip some deadly disease into our country. a small glass vile of small pox is harder to find and much deadlier than a gun or bomb coming through our airports.
maybe they can pull this off, but its pretty costly, and now isn't a great time to add anymore debt, especially if bush is thinking of going into war.

Anonymous

Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1069751 - 11/20/02 12:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly!

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #1071407 - 11/20/02 07:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I do not want to live in a society where terrorism is impossible.

OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: Xibalba]
    #1071641 - 11/20/02 09:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

I do not want to live in a society where terrorism is impossible.

That statement threw me. I haven't heard that before. Think about it. Terrorism is impossible. I looked up the definition of 'terrorism' on www.dictionary.com.

ter?ror?ism

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

So if terrorism is IMPOSSIBLE (can't happen, uh-uh, no way) what if the attack using force or violence against a society or government in the United States, for political reasons is to overthrow our own corrupt government by our own citizens?

Interesting point Xibalba, blew my mind a little at first, more soon after. I'd like to hear some more about this. I'm gonna think on this some more.

Buzz

--------------------
Is the glass half-full or half-empty? I say it is both.

InvisibleFloydian
veteran
    #1072574 - 11/21/02 01:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yep. The Department of Homeland Security is definetly a bad thing. It's just concentrating power into fewer hands and now they can do things like read your emails without a court order or warrant. Gives fucked up corporations like Eli-Lilly immunity to lawsuits (in the case of autistic children), and all sorts of generally undesirable things.

The more i learn about my government the more hopeless I feel about it all.

I'm about a 1000 times more afraid of my own government than I am of any terrorist group. Homeland Security my ass!

--------------------
Don't squeeze the pancake batter

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
    #1073501 - 11/21/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Homeland security is in place on paper only.  At the moment they don't have funding  :grin:  When they do get funding ... I don't know.  I MUST believe that my government is doing what is best.  I disagree with a lot of the foreign policy and several domestic issues.  Until flagrant abuses start to occur I will peacefully/quietly live my life as I see fit. 

May the powers that be watch over us all, and I don't mean "big brother".  :frown: 

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1073634 - 11/21/02 11:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In it's most basic form, this is merely a reorganization of government departments and agencies that already exist. Big freakin deal.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Offlinealmesse
high
Loc: EVERYWHERE! Well more spe...
    #1074019 - 11/21/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Replace security with the word control then you will have the true.
homeland control. :frown: 

--------------------
"A man's life is what his thoughts make of it." ~ Marcus Aurelius

OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: Frog31337]
    #1074747 - 11/21/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Frog, I have to respond to your post part-by-part dude, don't take it personally.
In reply to:

Homeland security is in place on paper only. At the moment they don't have funding

Funding? They have all the funding they need. Anyone paying 1 penny in taxes is funding the whole thing. You. Me. Everyone.
In reply to:

When they do get funding ... I don't know. I MUST believe that my government is doing what is best.

Why MUST you believe this? Cuz the government and the media tell you. Please wake up.
In reply to:

I disagree with a lot of the foreign policy and several domestic issues. Until flagrant abuses start to occur I will peacefully/quietly live my life as I see fit.

If you disagree with what you've stated, then I don't understand how you can just sit and complacently wait until it's too late to do something about it. 'Flagrant abuses'?? Again, your alarm clock is ringing - coffees on, wakey wakey.
In reply to:

May the powers that be watch over us all, and I don't mean "big brother".

I agree with this, but the Homeland Security Bill will give them the extra boost to do anything they want, legally and freely given to Big Brother by our representatives and ourselves.

Buzz

--------------------

OfflineALHOFF177A17
DoWn RU?

#1074911 - 11/21/02 07:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

When America was first founded the few and far between laws sufficed. Time goes on... Population grows exponentially... And now here we are not knowing our heads from our asses about where we are going as a group. I like to think of all life on earth as bacteria in a pitri dish. Its pretty fucked up when someone comes along and tells you you cannot do something and starts hitting you with a billy club and everyone is fine with this because you must be doing something wrong. Similarly when one bacterium starts producing a new anti-biotic to fuck his peers so he can reighn supreme. Once it gets as bad as it can society will begin to revert to more primitive less organized living accompanied by a decrease in population from the fall of the system, and whoever is left will say this is freedom. Gods intent is not to have a bunch of people all doing the same fucking thing as everyone else all the time. If that is what the leaders of this country want I want nothing to do with it. I think it all comes down to your mom, and my mom, and every other bitch who thinks the drug war or whatever means of ensuring the complete sheltering of her little johny is a good idea. Living with a government has its perks that is why we are where we are and its pretty sweet. But basing a country modo off of freedom and then changing that idea without admitting it is pretty pussy and unfair to all of us people who just want it to be left alone.
God Bless all of you who have freed their minds from the belief that we must live for our country...Pamper yourself and live for that purpose only, fuck everone else who does not feel that way.
I was trying to convey some point but oh well. Maybe... cherish those who walk the same path as yourself, and throw rocks at the ones who hinder your progress.

--------------------
www.DoWnClothing.COM

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: BuzzDoctor]
    #1074938 - 11/21/02 07:48 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Funding? They have all the funding they need

Congress hasn't finished the 2003 budget. Yes, homeland security is currently in place on paper only. No $$, no work. I realize it is a short while until they do get the cash.

In reply to:

If you disagree with what you've stated, then I don't understand how you can just sit and complacently wait until it's too late to do something about it. 'Flagrant abuses'?? Again, your alarm clock is ringing - coffees on, wakey wakey.

I have written my senator on several occasions, and my congressperson once. I have let my representatives know what I think about Operation TIPS, and the Homeland Security bill. I have done what I can for now, by letting my leaders know what I think and what I think they should do. I could protest, but I don't think that is effective in convincing others. That is why I am now patient.

Do you have any suggestions on other actions that everyone (as active citizens) should do?

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

#1074950 - 11/21/02 07:57 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

In reply to:

I MUST believe that my government is doing what is best.

Why MUST you believe this? Cuz the government and the media tell you. Please wake up.

Like I said before. I have taken legal steps to let the representatives know how I feel on the current situations. I will rephrase the above quote. I HOPE that my government is doing what is best.

OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Re: Department Of Homeland Security [Re: Frog31337]
    #1074964 - 11/21/02 08:07 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I 'hope' they are too. I just don't think that they are.

--------------------

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1075483 - 11/21/02 11:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

this is what i dont get. Americans are scared to death of terrorism now. If a low flying plane flies above my head when i am downtown, i get a little nervous. Right? So now the government is using this homeland security to get more police and army and bag checkers around so we will be protected. I think that the 285 million worried americans will do a much better job watching out for the public's security than 2 million new police and guards.
Now the act is allowing the government to look up any of our transactions, bank withdrawals, emails, posts in forums.....blah blah blah. So if i sent cow shit collector an email saying i have a pound of magic mushrooms, then the cops check me out on the shroomery and see my pics., is that probable cause for them to come in my apartment and bust me? bullshit.

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

#1076714 - 11/22/02 11:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

So if i sent cow shit collector an email saying i have a pound of magic mushrooms, then the cops check me out on the shroomery and see my pics., is that probable cause for them to come in my apartment and bust me? bullshit.

EXACTLY! I would have no problem with the gov spying on terrorists, but eventually (maybe even from the start) they will use that same power to expand into other areas. The war on drugs would be a prime target. That is what scares the shit outa me.

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #1076719 - 11/22/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I meant, the goal of this Homeland Security stuff (the stated goal, possibly not the real underlying one) is to -prevent terrorism.- Do you realize what a frightening goal that is for the government of the most powerful nation in the world to take on, assuming they are going to take it seriously?
It would mean either political dissent will be impossible, or acts of violence will be impossible. As long as human beings have any margin of free will, any stretch time in their life without total surveillance, it will be possible to plot and carry out a violent act. And as long as it is possible, someone will.
But what would it take to make people unable to *want* to do it- the Ministry of Love?

I was in an airport just recently, and it struck me as a bleak premonition of the way the whole world will be in the future. If this was my life every day, I am pretty sure I could not make bombs- and I certainly couldn't use or possess drugs.
They scanned me, questioned me, patted me down, made me take off my shoes, opened my bags and dug through my clothes, swabbed my carryon to test for explosives and drugs. Had to present ID, fill out forms, present ID, empty my pockets into a little bin and present ID again. Guards with guns at each corner watching the people slide by on the moving sidewalk. Please watch your step as you exit the moving walk. There were at least two security cameras staring at me at all times. A clean, sterile environment, with soothing music playing, and no way in or out except through heavily guarded security checkpoints. EXCUSE ME PLEASE STEP BEHIND THE RED LINE!

On the plane, my "meal" arrived in a sealed tray; I opened it, studied the little plastic knife. It was more rigid than I would have expected. If I were to wedge it in my belt buckle and snap off part of the blade at an angle, I could probably stand up and slam it into the stewardess' carotid artery before anyone could stop me.

This thought brought me great relief.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1076724 - 11/22/02 11:46 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

great post...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleFloydian
veteran
    #1076977 - 11/22/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yep....brave new world......its already here.

--------------------
Don't squeeze the pancake batter

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder