Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGeometry
Let the hate flow through you.

Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: badchad]
    #10672440 - 07/13/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Interesting that he has such a pessimistic view of extraterrestrial life. 

I mean, if aliens did visit us, they would have to be far more intelligent than us, and have technological capabilities well beyond ours. 

At this point, might it be reasonable to think that they had evolved to live in peace, love and harmony?

it was so amusing to see the clip of prof hawking talking about this.  explaining via his digital voice how if visitors did indeed visit our planet it would not be on friendly terms.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehaydenmango
the trippen musician
Male

Loc: hawaii
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: Geometry]
    #10672475 - 07/13/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ever thought that we were created by a previous existing civilization and they're just watching us progress to kinda like "play god" or something for some sort of science experiment?  Of course it's just an idea I made up when i was baked...

--------------------
when the love of power is overcome by the power of love, this world will know peace- Jimi Hendrix

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: haydenmango]
    #10672523 - 07/13/09 10:52 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You're not the first to think it.  Check out the creation myths of Sumeria, probably the oldest human civilization.  The Sumerian myths contain the seeds for many other myths throughout history, including Judeo-Christianity.

Offlinedoyoutrip
Marijuana Enthusiast
Male

Loc: Sunny D
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: uber_aj]
    #10672635 - 07/13/09 11:10 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

definitely gonna smoke a bowl and read :stoner:

--------------------
"Going about niiinneettyy
On the freeway choking
Ain't no mystery to the weed we smokin'"

"Started from weed, big smoke outs before you could exhale, blunt in your mouth"

:potleaf::getstoned::potleaf:

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: doyoutrip]
    #10678574 - 07/14/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

SH is my hero
i jus finished watching origins of t3h uni and it owneddddddddddd

--------------------

Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: uber_aj]
    #10678650 - 07/14/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The universe to our knowledge is so old and so vast the chances of two civilizations advancing at the same rate and communicating at the same time..I don't know. I believe there is life, but I don't believe we will make contact on an intelligent level.

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

Offlineiamu
Sall Growman
Male

Loc: Ireland
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: gzuf]
    #10678947 - 07/14/09 11:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I like the theory about intelligence being one unlikely outcome of evolution, therefore earth becoming the one scarce example in our galaxy. But its also unlikely that we're the only intelligent life form in the universe. There are infinite possibilities. Intelligence evolved to peace, which I believe would be the most productive. Intelligence that has evolved far longer than us, and that are much more technologically advanced. There might be intelligent life with time travel. And there's the possibility that aliens planted the seed on earth, and has watched us from a distance. Its not completely insane to consider this, because how would it sound if I said there has never been a race intelligent enough in the universe, or history of the universe advanced enough to do this.

--------------------

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: iamu]
    #10678978 - 07/14/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've always like the "ancient and super-intelligent" species somewhere out there hypothesis.  But then sometimes I wonder, what if WE are the first.  The ones destined to become the species that other races one day will look up to in awe.

Either thought is entertaining to me.  A vast and lifeless universe is both depressing, and I think, very very unlikely.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

OfflineSolemente
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: Frost]
    #10679024 - 07/15/09 12:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Frost said:

We are used to thinking of intelligent life, as an inevitable consequence of evolution, Hawking emphasized, but it is more likely that evolution is a random process, with intelligence as only one of a large number of possible outcomes.

Humans are not intelligent, at least not 99% of us.

Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: Solemente]
    #10679053 - 07/15/09 12:10 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's just something that is over all of our heads (literally and figuratively). I just don't think that we will ever KNOW, but we will all think different ways according to ourselves, and that's okay, that is why people have gotten as far as we have because we all think differently. Maybe one of us will stumble across the right answer, maybe many of us already have, but I think most of us can agree we will never know for sure if there is other intelligent life.

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: Solemente]
    #10679056 - 07/15/09 12:10 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I dunno, I'm pretty good at banging rocks together.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

InvisibleDieCommie

#10679107 - 07/15/09 12:19 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Solemente said:

From a SETI perspective intelligence is defined as the ability to broadcast and receive radio waves.  Do you know how to broadcast or receive radio waves?  Im pretty sure that more than 99% of us dont.  :grin:

Offlinephx1
Stranger

Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: ShockValue]
    #10679254 - 07/15/09 12:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not entirely convinced that there are sentient, intelligent beings besides us in the universe.

If there are, they certainly are not going to resemble us at all.

It's the same with God.. we always try to put human characteristics on everything. Little green men. Old "super-human" man with beard. No, that's ridiculous.

The universe is much, much stranger than most people realize. Psychedelic people should know this especially.

You can't deny there is something very peculiar about human beings when compared to other animals/life forms. We seem to have gotten a hit of *the stuff*. We are extraordinary beings, capable of shaping our destiny.

We have invention, connection, collection of ideas, mathematical algorithm's, connectivity of people, social systems, etc.

Change is accelerating so fast in our current day and age. You know  nanotechnology, quantum physics, neurology, etc. How would that look 500 years, 1000 years in the future? You can't even conceive of that.. we would be unrecognizable to ourselves.

If there was a society that had the same fortunes as humans did and have technological capabilities like us, a million years more advance than us.. they would be (and we will be if we don't blow ourselves us) very god-like creatures with a complete conquest of all dimensionalities including time itself.

OfflineSolemente
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: phx1]
    #10679282 - 07/15/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

We are just an advanced form of a bee hive, or ant colony. Nothing more or less.

Offlinephx1
Stranger

#10679297 - 07/15/09 12:48 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So if the asteroid didn't wipe out the dinosaurs would evolution have brought them to the same place we're at now? Would they be sitting at dinner tables, managing societies, classifying everything, building knowledge from generation upon generation like we do?

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: phx1]
    #10679375 - 07/15/09 01:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you guys realise that theres a law that forbids United States citizens to contact extraterrestials...

http://www.weeklyuniverse.com/etlaw.htm

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: circularvortex]
    #10679441 - 07/15/09 01:20 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

circularvortex said:
I would put far more credit in his speculations about the subject than just about anybody else's.

I'm pretty damn sure he's got a greater understanding of the physical cosmos than I.

All understandings are a subjective experience. With that said, optimism/pessimism can both very influencing when making our own opinions and philosophies about life. Optimistic people can be clouded in their own denial about things that would be obvious to others, while pessimists may view the world in such a negative light that they are overlooking probabilities.

--------------------

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: Neuron]
    #10679504 - 07/15/09 01:33 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i think the government has a legal bind with the aliens somehow n thats why that law exists.. the aliens are just as evil as the government is.. or maybe the aliens made the government evil..

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: DieCommie]
    #10680042 - 07/15/09 06:44 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
Quote:

Solemente said:

From a SETI perspective intelligence is defined as the ability to broadcast and receive radio waves.  Do you know how to broadcast or receive radio waves?  Im pretty sure that more than 99% of us dont.  :grin:

I believe most of us do, in fact most of us do it regularly
through the use of some communication device like a car radio,
cell phone, 2-way or any other number of devices, just as the
folks at SETI do, I'm sure none of them invented the radio and
they're just using someone elses creation

that or we can write it off as the SETI employees are just a
bunch more retards trying to get us all eaten by aliens

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Stephen Hawking: Why Isn't the Milky Way "Crawling With Life?" [Re: tripp23]
    #10680054 - 07/15/09 06:49 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:
i think the government has a legal bind with the aliens somehow n thats why that law exists.. the aliens are just as evil as the government is.. or maybe the aliens made the government evil..

or maybe....

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds