Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecapoasis
eater of fungus

Best casing method for beginner?
    #1066609 - 11/19/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I got my first harvest using cakes (using PF Tek) and feel that I'm ready to move on to casings. I've been doing a lot of reading, the collective knowledge of the Shroomery is amazing.

Anyway, what is the best method to start with? It seems that there are as many casing methods as people using them... I eventually want to end up with the 50/50plus tek, but I'm planning on starting with a pure verm casing. (A la the Casing for Dummies Guide)

What type of yields should I expect from this method as compared to cakes? What is the general opinion on this method? Is it worth it for the extra trouble of casing? Or should I start with something more complicated like the 50/50?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Best casing method for beginner? [Re: capoasis]
    #1066644 - 11/19/02 03:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think its worth it, the tek that you mentioned is fine, yields are hard to predict because growth parameters are different for everyone. Good luck, and stay sterile.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #1066961 - 11/19/02 04:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

What is the general opinion on this method? Is it worth it for the extra trouble of casing? 

Sure it is. Otherwise why would most of the cultivators case their substrate? :confused:

It improves yields a lot :smile:. Don't know how much as that can vary a lot.
But i can tell you casing is the way to go!

It's not too much trouble anyways. In terms of labour, the only difference between the two methods is that instead of putting the cakes in the fruiting chamber as soon as they're colonized, you crumble them into any container and cover them with your sterilized, pasteurized or microwaved casing soil.

It's a lot less trouble then many other cultivation steps you have to go through, like sterilizing substrates or making spore prints or syringes. :tongue: 

OfflineInMyVersion
Stranger

Loc: NE USA
    #1066987 - 11/19/02 04:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I would go with straight wet perlite instead of straight wet vermiculite. Or better yet try one of each and note the yield differences.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Best casing method for beginner? [Re: InMyVersion]
    #1067005 - 11/19/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

One cases to;
1- Protect substrate from drying out.
2- To create a microclimate for primordia formation and development.
3- To provide a water reservoir for the maturing mushrooms
4- To support the growth of fructification enchancing microorganisms (make nice little homes for critters mushys like to grow with)
courtesy ala staments/chilton

Guy I knew went straight to 50/50 casings from PF tek. Figured he might as well get started if that's where he wanted to be...

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1067048 - 11/19/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Here's what I'm doing as a newb - moist layer of vermiculite on the bottom, two cakes in the middle, and Jiffy Mix on top. The JM is already pH nuetral, so that's a help, but yeah, expanding to the 50/50+ is desirable, from what it sounds like (the Agway a few towns away has the hydrated lime, which is apparently used for pickling, but the crushed oyster shells continue to elude me..anyone know what types of stores usually have this?

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Best casing method for beginner? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1067110 - 11/19/02 05:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have a small container for the casing. Proabably gonna do one or two cakes. It's only two inches deep though. IS this enough room for one or two cakes and the verm layers?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: Best casing method for beginner? [Re: thisone]
    #1067138 - 11/19/02 06:03 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Ooooo, I'd say that's cutting too close, at best. Cheap solution - go to the supermarket and buy a, or some, aluminum baking pans, I'm using one that's about 12" x 10" or so, ans about 4" or so deep. There's some room at the top, it's not completely filled by the three layers, but it would be overflowing a bit if it were half that height. Plus you can use these over and over, just clean well in between uses, of course. Someone else more experienced might tell me I'm a silly newb, though :crazy:

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Best casing method for beginner? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1067160 - 11/19/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

But if it's only one or two cakes then it is going to be a thin layer? I could fill it to the top?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: Best casing method for beginner? [Re: thisone]
    #1067180 - 11/19/02 06:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

you can find crushed oyster shells at most large chained pet stores. it would be in the department with the fishies, its used to make a 'sea floor' marine environment so the fishies will be happy. =o) it also may just be called crushed coral... all the same.

good luck,
ribbit

note: also in the pet store would be your coco coir, located by the lizard bedding...called 'bed-a-beast-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract