Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSka_mad_hatter
CT Trips

Loc: Cheshire Connecticut
Need Help getting ready to case!
    #1066048 - 11/19/02 01:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

3 of my jars are fully colonized on the outside and i'm waiting a week for the mycelium to grow thicker on the inside. This is my current plan to case them.

1) put sterilized vermiculite w/ water mix, then crumbled colonized cake, then sterilized 50/50 vermiculite+ peat moss w/ water mix.

2) place fruiting container in fish tank on top of pelite. ( i have already bought this ingrediant but still am unaware of its affects)

3) leave casing in the terrium for a week untill surface is covered in white mycelium. Once its covered the surface then i will add light 8 hours a day. ( What light source should i use and do i mist the terrium walls at this point)

I am in desperate need of suggestions since i am very much unknowledgeable besides from what i've read

--------------------
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always
worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: Need Help getting ready to case! [Re: Ska_mad_hatter]
    #1066169 - 11/19/02 02:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

First off, depending on the strain, some being faster colonizers than others, I'd give more than a week after outside coloniztion for sure before birthing - two weeks at least, and three for a slower strain (B+). The latter part of colonization at a slower pace than it does initially.
-- place fruiting container in fish tank on top of pelite. ( i have already bought this ingrediant but still am unaware of its affects -- You'll want to do something in reagrds to maintaining high humidity during incubation, perhaps Saran wrap. Afterwards, when the mycelium is starting to colonize the top (don't let it get too advanced, i.e., overlay ridden) you'll lower humidity as a requirement for initiating pinning. Perlite recommendation - moisten in colander initially, drain well, and add water afterwards if needed, which it may very well not.
Patch case as needed as the first areas of colonization appear. You should read the various teks on casing, it's not really too complicated, and there's some good pointers on things such as watching for overlay, and patch casing.

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: Need Help getting ready to case! [Re: Ska_mad_hatter]
    #1066557 - 11/19/02 04:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well TheHobbit says it right but i know you need as much more answers as possible, in order to comprehend wtf you should do.

First of all, i say you can make two different kind of casings. You have 3 cakes. Do as you wish, but i think at least one casing using ONLY vermiculite might save your pride, if you mess things up with the soil. In this case, put verm - mycelium - verm. My opinion.

The procedure of casing is not exactly as you described it. After you case the crumbled mycelium, you dont put it in the fruiting chamber. Keep it in a warm place [incubator] with some saran wrap as TheHobbit said, if there is no light, otherwise use alu foil. The next morning and the following days, the mycelium should appear on various places. Now you have two options: either you put the casing into the terrarium to fruit [perhaps you should cold-shock it, it doesnt do any harm but only good] or you patch the casing. This means that you have some extra prepared casing material and on those areas that the myc has appeared, you put some on top, dont press it hard, just cover it with as little material as possible. If you do so, you will soon realise that you have a lot of mycelium spots appearing evenly on the casing [not one here and another there as it appeared the first time]. In this way you make an even and better flush.

If you need more info, you can PM me, perhaps i can send you photos.

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation