Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Birdseed/Rye Grain teks?
    #1065990 - 11/19/02 12:53 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I know I have seen a post on this, but I am unable to find it again. Anyway I wanted to start using birdseed substrate, and I cannot find anything that tells me how to do it. I remember some of the basics from what I have read before about it, but it is the specifics that are important, so can someone help me out and send me int he direction of a good tek. Thankyou. Since Rye Grain is popular I am adding this as a possible query. Send in all teks that you find/know plz.

--------------------
"Man was born free and is every where in chains."

Edited by lvleph (11/19/02 03:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: Birdseed? [Re: lvleph]
    #1066009 - 11/19/02 01:02 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

well, with birdseed, you must first either buy it without sunflower seeds or remover them, an easy way to do so is to put all that your going to use in a bowl of water, the sunflower seeds will float to the top...then just extract. you also need to pc it just like you would rye grain or any other whole grain. there is no need to mix with verm or anything else. although myself am going to use a (karo/nutritional yiest) mixture with my birdseed. -just to experiment with-

good luck,
ribbit

OfflineTaz_Khmer
Recovered andSober

#1066019 - 11/19/02 01:04 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Here's something for you to read.
Click HERE!!

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1066020 - 11/19/02 01:04 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

You don't really need to worry about removing the sunflower seeds. I don't and haven't had any problems so far. I do however reccomend that you get the birdseed with a fairly low sunflower seed content. And here is how I prepare birdseed:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=644625&Forum=Forum2&Words=fool%20proof%20birdseed%20method&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=644625&Search=true#Post644625

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Birdseed? [Re: New Name]
    #1066023 - 11/19/02 01:05 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I have found birdseed with only millet and that is what I was planning on using. Thank you New Name that is the exact post I had seen before. And thank you very much taz that is a very useful link.

--------------------

Edited by lvleph (11/19/02 01:09 PM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1066033 - 11/19/02 01:11 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

My raccoon disagrees with ribbit, on the need to remove the sunflower seeds. It all gets sterilized anyway.

Here is how the raccoon preps WBS for spawn into dung/straw or compost. Same would work, w/just the WBS as substrate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white & red millet - with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin (a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1066372 - 11/19/02 03:27 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Here's one more. I saved it from a pastt hread- The recipe came from Hawk
"-20 tbls finch seed
-7 tbls brow rice flour
-4 tbls flax seed meal
-10 tbls vermiculite
this makes about six 1/2 pint jars , if you want to make more just se a bigger spoon.
you can spawn with it or case it by itself."

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Birdseed? [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1066380 - 11/19/02 03:29 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Keep them coming. The more the better. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1066385 - 11/19/02 03:31 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I strongly recommend 6T's tek, it has worked for me over and over.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1066423 - 11/19/02 03:48 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Listen to 6T , he will get you to the finish line so to say . He has mastered the technique he gave you .
But here is alternative .
Go to a feed and grain place , one that specializes in selling to the exotic bird community (I say this for quality reasons i.e. no preseves , no vitamin coating etc... ) . In the bulk area you can get whatever seed your heart desires individually , then when you get home you mix .
Cousin "IT" buys milo , red millett , white millett , then mixes evenly .
In half pint jars add 1/3 cup of grain , add 45 ml of distilled water , put in PC or AC for 50 min , let cool over night (12 hours) inoculate with fave method , let colonize .
Has had no contams ......YET ! , moisture never been a problem either i.e no exploded seed , plenty water for myc , and myc loves the stuff . You could probably do more than 1/3 cup , but this leaves plenty of room for shakings , and in time when myc fully colonizes , it will fill the jar . No rinsing ......IMO because of no crap added to seed that goos things up , no preserves that may slow growth , no fungicides to prevent fungus growth (??) , which by the way is in at least 90% of the grain we eat each day, thus my theory why bird people use the best grain verses the crap sold in pet stores .
Good Luck

I nominate 6T as Pres. of the Mush Masters Club !

ps Once colonized , inoc bulk sub , or crumble and case with 50/50 mix .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (11/19/02 03:51 PM)

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Birdseed? [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1066428 - 11/19/02 03:50 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Check this for Rye Grain. Rye Grain Prep How do you like that I am posting answers to a different question in my own post. lol

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1066433 - 11/19/02 03:53 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Self stimulation is always favorable ! :wink: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Birdseed? [Re: tripndicular]
    #1066480 - 11/19/02 04:19 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

In reply to:

I nominate 6T as Pres. of the Mush Masters Club !

I second the motion!

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Birdseed/Rye Grain teks? [Re: lvleph]
    #1066573 - 11/19/02 04:50 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Staying alive.

--------------------

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Birdseed/Rye Grain teks? [Re: lvleph]
    #1066616 - 11/19/02 05:01 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I should have looked more closely to the FAQs.

FAQ Recipes
This is a pretty good link. Tells you what recipes are good for which strains.

--------------------

Edited by lvleph (11/19/02 05:04 PM)

Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: Birdseed? [Re: SixTango]
    #1067130 - 11/19/02 08:00 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

6T. i don't doubt your cultivation abilities nor your tek wisdom... i was just simply advising that ya might as well take out the sunflower seeds since they are not needed, and they waste substrate space and if there is an over abundance it has been known to cause problems....

yea, it may be 'easier' to just leave em in there. but i look at it this way, you gotta follow a buncha procedures anyhow. not like its gonna make or break how hard/easy it is going to be...

thas all,
peace,
ribbit

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation