Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefriggin wigga
fungi ingestor

Loc: Trip Land
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: boygenius]
    #1055558 - 11/15/02 11:57 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

that bong water stuff is hillarious!!

--------------------
- Without this precious mana, we wouldn't know ourselves.-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: friggin wigga]
    #1065816 - 11/19/02 09:57 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have a friend who is a K-9 officer for our local police department. I am gonna try asking him and then going over to his house (where he keeps the dog) with a pocket full of mushrooms to see if I get a response. Don't worry, he won't arrest me  :grin:

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: New Name]
    #1065899 - 11/19/02 10:21 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: New Name]
    #1068128 - 11/19/02 10:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It is now confirmed through both asking a k9 officer and by testing it with the dog that my local drug dog cannot smell shrooms. I tested it with both fresh and dried shrooms and the dog didn't smell a damn thing.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: New Name]
    #1070128 - 11/20/02 01:29 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That just means it wasn't trained to smell shrooms...

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: vaporbrains]
    #1071653 - 11/20/02 09:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Here's my theory on lsd/mushroom sniffing dogs. When they are trained, they can probably detect the scent of the handler or whoever hid the drugs and hit on that. Since no one has come up with a refrence that details a drug dog hitting on lsd or mushrooms (cept with pot pipe) in the field, it looks like those handlers and trainers are full of shit. I could be wrong, but I could be right!

--------------------

InvisibleRaw
Muslim
 User Gallery

Loc: USA West Coast Flag
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #17238963 - 11/18/12 03:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I wanted to resurrect this.

Yes, drug dogs can sniff out mushrooms.  They will detect and hit on stuff that smells like mushrooms?  Why?  Their owners delight when they find mushrooms and reward them.  The dogs aren't stupid and work for their owners.

A car was hit on because of the latent smell of mushrooms.  Active ones.  And said car was searched.  The dog hit on the mushroom smell dead on and without hesitation accurate within inches.

Vacuum seal that goodness up boys and girls.

--------------------

OfflineblueIdevil
Stranger
Male

Loc: Portcouver, Oreton
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: Raw]
    #17239043 - 11/18/12 04:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dogs can absolutely be trained to smell distinct varieties of fungi.  Dogs are becoming popular for hunting Oregon Truffles (underground and among other fungi all over the place!) as they gain in popularity on the world market.

The "drug-dogs" in K9 units typically will hit on something whenever they are signaled to by their handlers, or when they smell something they're trained to smell. It'll depend where you are for what they'll hit on, but meth, coke, pot, and heroin are most likely. That said, you won't often see customs officers using German Shepherds to sniff out drugs. Shepherds are used more so for intimidation factor so pigs can see when their prey (us) are worried where the dogs are, then signal them to "hit".

Customs officials (not border patrol,) use scent-hounds like beagles to search baggage for hundreds of different things, but that's pretty much ALL they're used for, and likely they'll bring in specially trained dogs for specifically expected contraband. They also can smell money.

--------------------
In their daily life, all are braver than they know...
-Henry David Thoreau

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: Raw] * 1
    #17244353 - 11/19/12 12:10 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Raw said:
A car was hit on because of the latent smell of mushrooms.  Active ones.  And said car was searched.  The dog hit on the mushroom smell dead on and without hesitation accurate within inches.

And you never kept weed there?

InvisibleBigcmcg
 User Gallery

Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17256924 - 11/21/12 06:10 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

To everyone saying there are too many different types of mushies for the dog to distinguish.... It's not the shroom itself the dog is trained to smell for it's the psilocin that they can pick out in the magic variety.  Dogs don't work like us, where if you put a bag of herb in coffee can with gas as an additional masking agent, we as humans smell the coffee or gas because it's stronger the dog can smell the coffee the gas the herb and whatever else you touched while touching those items.  That is the reason most people fail when hiding drugs in their vehicle when it comes to K9 searches.  It all depends on the department or state in which the k9 unit is in to decide what the dogs get trained for.  Oh and by the way dogs can be trained to sniff out morels very easily I now know several people with morel dogs.

Offlinech1ck3n.s0up
Troubled Loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hunting Fungi
Re: Can Dogs Smell Shrooms? [Re: Bigcmcg]
    #17261339 - 11/21/12 09:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would bet that yes, dogs can detect LSD. If not the actual drug itself, probably one of the associated chemicals.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgkNiFxEtEOhVmxxzRwOiqLsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090203203250AAZYRd7
This of course would require special training for the pup.

--------------------

"Inspiration ~ Move me brightly ~ light the song with sense and color ~ hold away despair ~ more than this I will not ask ~ faced with mysteries dark and vast ~ statements just seem vain at last" --Jerry Garcia, Terrapin Station

"Officer, I'm going to remain silent, and I would like to speak with a lawyer. I'm not resisting, but I don't consent to any searches.

Edited by ch1ck3n.s0up (11/21/12 09:59 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract