Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Bowling for Columbine
    #1064009 - 11/18/02 07:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Any thoughts on it?

(it's a documentary film by michael moore for everyone who hasn't seen it. i think it is a worthy investment of $6 for anyone especially rail gun, et. al.. it has a lot more to say than the title implies.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #1064028 - 11/18/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

My thoughts are that I'd really like to see it but it doesn't seem to be playing at any 'Selected Theatres' in my area ...

Michael Moore is da bomb!

Buzz

--------------------
Is the glass half-full or half-empty? I say it is both.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1064150 - 11/18/02 09:02 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

it's another movie to change your mind and make u want to give up your gun so the police state can be put into place. Notice how it came out right when the sniper shootings were taking place...

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: chodamunky]
    #1064238 - 11/18/02 09:28 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That's purely coincidence, you thinkl the movie was started in Early in early october when the shootings were happening? Also the press for the movies release was before the sniper stuff.

Komo and Kiro news form Seattle is broadcast to Vancouver. Today theyhave a story showing a guy go into a gunshow and 15 minutes later come out with a high powered sniper rifle lockedand loaded ready for action without any backround check. If you think this is O.K. Congratulations you're retard.This is a main issue in Bowling for Columbine if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1064646 - 11/18/02 11:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

My favourite bit is the kids asking for refunds from Walmart on the bullets that are still lodged in their bodies.

I think Walmart restricted their sale of weaponry after that so at least one good thing came out of it.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: Xlea321]
    #1065665 - 11/19/02 08:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

What a great film. I highly recommend this to Invertigo. It touches on so many critical and key issues in our society today. I really like how he ties in the fear factor, and how the current administration expertly taps into our fear to get what they want, like expanded surveillance power and shit like that. Very interesting stuff, Im suprised it wasnt censored.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: Buddha5254]
    #1066224 - 11/19/02 12:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Im suprised it wasnt censored"

Most retarded statement ever.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: Phluck]
    #1066245 - 11/19/02 12:40 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

yeah mmm hmmm conspiracies I like em. The Bush administration is just sooooo anti guns and war and violence that they are putting out propaganda through MICHAEL MOORE to make you give up your guns. I guess Mike's movie career has shown that if anything he's pro-american government (sarcasm).

OfflineHuxley
Loc: Las Vegas
    #1066918 - 11/19/02 04:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I would say in general that American culture is much more tolerant than Michael Moore. Talk about censorship, that guy is a walking propaganda machine. If you agree with him that's fine, but don't say he is tolerant.

According to Moore, everyone is a racist sexist homophobe except the minute fraction of the population that agrees with his fringe beliefs. If the film is playing anywhere near by I will still go see it, however. Unlike Moore, I'm open to other points of view.

Anonymous

#1066943 - 11/19/02 04:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Good documentary. It makes alot of good points and raises some interesting questions.

Michael Moore is a member of the NRA, and isnt trying to take our guns from us. One of the main themes of the documentary was why do we have gun violence on a vastly greater scale than so many other countries.

He seems pretty tolerant to me, although he does use a lot of propaganda.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: ]
    #1066984 - 11/19/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think the answer is obvious...Allowing people to carry Handguns.
Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with hunting rifles, shotguns etc...they can also be used for home defense if the need arises. But hand guns are too easy to conceal, inaddition to being too easy to obtain...add that to the average Americans bloodlust and you have a very dangerous combination.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (11/19/02 05:16 PM)

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: Rono]
    #1067274 - 11/19/02 06:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Phluck, I wasnt serious you idiot.
I really dont think he accuses everybody of being rascist homophobes, and he isnt on the "fringe"

OfflineHuxley
    #1067411 - 11/19/02 07:36 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Michael Moore is total fringe. His favorite Congressperson is (or should I say was) Cynthia McKinney, the woman from Georgia who said that Bush knew that the WTC towers were going to be attacked beforehand. When she lost her seat, because of her idiotic statements, she blamed it on the Jews, saying it was a Zionist conspiracy.

I like the critic who said his first film should have been titled _Roger and Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me_ Moore is a pompous lard ass.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: Huxley]
    #1068046 - 11/19/02 10:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That's some dumb logic.

Was that why she was his favorite? Has Moore said anything like that? No. I don't recall him ever saying anything of that nature.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineHuxley
Re: Bowling for Columbine [Re: Phluck]
    #1068452 - 11/20/02 01:02 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If you are talking to me, Moore wrote that he would love for McKinney to be President in his Stupid White Men book.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1069300 - 11/20/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I just went and seen the movie last night, and I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I loved it. It brought up many interesting points about the U.S., and it all boiled down to one factor....Americans are afraid. What other plausible reason can there be for the vast difference in shootings and violence in comparison with any other westernized country? Canada, per capita has just as many guns as the U.S., yet has a fraction per capita of violent crimes.
As also pointed out in the film, one could say that the U.S. has a violent past, so it's natural to evolve to this state...but what about Germany, or the U.K.?..they certainly had far more violent pasts than the U.S., yet don't face the same issues the U.S. does. Could it be racial the diversity in the U.S.? No...Canada is just as diverse. Could it be poverty?...no, Canada's unemployment rate is higher than the U.S.

There was a short animated clip in the movie that I think summed up everything nicely on how (in general) Americans are afraid. Afraid of eachother, afraid of it's own government, afraid of blacks, afraid of the police, afraid of Jews, afraid of Asians, afraid of Muslims, afraid of other countries, ..the list could go on forever.

--------------------

Edited by Rono (11/20/02 07:59 PM)

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1069449 - 11/20/02 10:58 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

Michael Moore is total fringe. His favorite Congressperson is (or should I say was) Cynthia McKinney, the woman from Georgia who said that Bush knew that the WTC towers were going to be attacked beforehand.

There is ALOT of evidence suggesting that Bush did know the attacks were coming (I've made a bazillion posts regarding this and would more than happy to bring them up again if you like) It took alot of courage for Cynthia McKinney to even bring that up...she's should be praised, not ridiculed. I don't agree with all of her stances, but when it comes to 9-11 I support her fully.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1069505 - 11/20/02 11:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't say I don't believe that he likes her as a politician, I said I don't think he agrees with her on the WTC thing.

He's not the fringe wacko, it's the lady.

That's like saying since Bush is a Christian, everyone who voted for him is too.

That is why your logic is retarded.

--------------------

OfflineHuxley
    #1071175 - 11/20/02 05:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How do you explain why countries like Switzerland, where everyone owns a gun, does not have the amount of gun violence as the US?

And I do reserve the right to criticize McKinney because she is not only ignorant but stupid.

OfflineHuxley
    #1071435 - 11/20/02 07:26 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Could you be a bit more specific about this notion of Americans being afraid of each other? You talk about whites being afraid of blacks and Jews and Asians and whatever else but each race tends to shoot over members of their own race.

Males are more violent than females, and black males are 7 times more likely than white males to commit murder with a gun. The overwhelming majority of these black males shoot other black males, just like whites tend to shoot others whites, and Latinos tend to shoot other Latinos, etc.

And you must admit that if you think that Bush knew about the WTC attack beforehand that you hold a fringe view. Whether it is true or not, 99% of the US population does not believe this, therefore it can't be anything other than a fringe view, unless if you are from France of course

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom