Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery

Spent/Contamed Spawn In Composter
    #10590255 - 06/29/09 12:49 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So here's my question, but I don't want to hear that "this shouldnt' be in the advanced mycology section" tag. I've been on this forum for years. I have written up a couple of different teks and have worked with everything from Critter Country to Agar. I have my own flowhood, an upright freezer rigged with a floating humidifier and cool mist humidifier used as a fruiting chamber, 2 large AA autoclaves, a room lined with painters plastic with a shower curtain as an entrance, two separate hepa filters running 24/7 inside the room to cut down contams... and I still get the occasional green spawn bag. I can deal with that, contam is expected. But here's my question (after that unreasonably long introduction)...

Can I take some of my contaminated spawn and throw it into my composter and then hope to use that compost as a bulk additive?

I just built a 55 gal composter out of a large plastic drum. It's elevated off the ground set sideways on a spit so I can spin it. I drilled about 200 1/8" holes into it and created a door on the center that latches shut. I put about 2 days work into the thing to hope to be able to break down waste into usable compost within 30 days.

I know most grains require high temperatures at extended amounts of time to become sterile. And I also know that the inside of a composter doesn't get hot enough to destroy green mold spores. But I'm wondering... could the bacteria and insects that break down the waste I'll be putting into my composter also destroy or "eat" the green mold (or other various contams I'm throwing away?

Let me know what you guys think.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Spent/Contamed Spawn In Composter [Re: Tweexican]
    #10591313 - 06/29/09 08:07 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

It will take some time but eventually yes you will have clean compost. I personally would avoid doing this because compost is cheap and widely available, but in my own personal experience moldy grains and sawdust/bran substrates will turn into pure compost in 6 months to a year depending on the compost method. In a 55 gallon drum it should only take 6 months if you are turning it regularly.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Spent/Contamed Spawn In Composter [Re: b3jamboree]
    #10591735 - 06/29/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You'll know if the compost pile turns green instead of composting the molds.  If so, just bury the contaminated substrates in your garden area, where trichoderma is a beneficial organism.  If it all breaks down, you're good.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery

Re: Spent/Contamed Spawn In Composter [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10599206 - 06/30/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

HAHA, so its one of those trial by error things then?

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #10610568 - 07/02/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If you had a metal barrel you could make the thing into a large pasturizer.

I think you'll just be growing trich if you do what you're suggesting.

-FF

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery

Re: Spent/Contamed Spawn In Composter [Re: fastfred]
    #10612398 - 07/02/09 10:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i agree...

--------------------

OfflineJonnyMafia
Stranger

#10645576 - 07/09/09 02:05 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

bump

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck