Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

the shroom wizard's reputation??
    #1063298 - 11/18/02 06:08 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

I have a quick question that can hopefully be answered by someone experienced. I am about to order a "small complete growkit" from "the shroom wizard," and I was hoping that someone could say "yes, that is a good idea" or "no, you will regret doing that." The guy seems sincere and trustworthy to me, and his method makes sense (although this is my first time growing so I wouldn't know from experience). I've already placed the order, the only thing I have to do now is send a money order to him. If you have any information, good or bad, please post so I can be confident in my decision on this final step. Thanks a lot.

--------------------
ha

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1063330 - 11/18/02 06:17 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Im not sure what the kit is so you might want to post a link to the site. Most of the time a kit is alot of stuff that you can get for way cheeper. You can usually get all the supplys for 1/2 or less the price your paying for the kit.You can get started with the pf-tek for under 40 bucks.

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

#1063333 - 11/18/02 06:17 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

I would say don't buy it from Matt(shroomwizard). He doesn't really know alot about cultivation. Although I am not saying I am an expert, but when I started out I tried his tech and it didn't work. It will really only work if you live some where that is really humid. Do some reading first, and then start growing. A good tek to start with is PF tek. It is not perfecty but it is easy. Just do a search on it.

--------------------
"Man was born free and is every where in chains."

Offlinecookdandbombd
SERENITY NOW!

Loc: Northern Ireland
Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: lvleph]
    #1063347 - 11/18/02 06:22 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

The PF Tek is fantastic, it's easy and sucessfull as long as you keep sterile, gives good results, is cheap and great fun to do. Skip the growkit and try the PF tek and you'll save so much money. Or you could buy a mycobag if you want less hassle, because kits are very expensive I think.

--------------------
--
Freak out baby, the bee is coming.

OfflineShtoops
Wonka'sMycologist

Loc: Willy's Oompa Lab
Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: lvleph]
    #1063351 - 11/18/02 06:23 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

The shroomwizard is known on this forum as the GGreatone... my first grow was attempted using his grow guide, but it does lack in sterility I had a few contaminated jars, but... his products should be 100% sterile.. I trust the shroomwizard when it comes to shrooms... although you could go the cheaper route and just go by the PF Tek... but hey, its your choice... convenience over experience.

OfflineApexx
Stranger
Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: Shtoops]
    #1064436 - 11/19/02 12:39 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

The Above post stating that the shroom wizard is known as the Ggreatone on here is COMPLETELY FALSE. The Shroom Wizard no longer posts on here, his name is also not Matt. Don't mean to be angry sounding but I don't know where you guys get your information from. His tek does work and is pretty cheap for the results..the man is truly a wizard, he's honestly the timothy leary of our time, he's a wonderful human being.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1064452 - 11/19/02 12:45 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

The first time I grew, I followed his grow guide, it is very easy to understand, and doesn't really imtimidate a newbie with crazy talk of sterilization ( that was a lesson I learned on my own with numerous contaminated cakes and casings, booooo) I wouldn't buy a kit, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to steer business away from the guy, just listen to the others say, save yourself some money and buy yourself a tek.

PS, Apexx, you know I like the wizard a shitload, but c'mon man, the leary of our time, hmmm I'm not so sure on that one, but he is a great guy.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineApexx
Stranger
Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1064462 - 11/19/02 12:47 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

When you meet him, I beleive your opinion will change. Again, its just my opinion, he means a lot to me and I may be a little biased.

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: Apexx]
    #1064726 - 11/19/02 02:21 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Thanks a lot for all the help guys . . . I have done some more research and I've decided that it would be prudent to follow the MMGG tek.  I think this is a good idea because (1) I would like to gain experience which can be put toward growing better and better mushrooms and (2) because of the money::yield ratio.  I think it's much more efficient for a first timer to buy $40 worth of supplies and have a yield of 18-42 grams than to spend $50 on a kit and expect 9-21 grams.  Just doesn't make sense.  Being someone of reasonable competency, I believe that the MMGG tek makes it easy enough to grow mushrooms while still providing valuable experience toward more ambitious attemtps in the future.  I am thinking my setup will be that of the MMGG tek:  6 jars (1/2 pint of course), arrowhead BRF, vermiculite (although I've yet to find it), and amazonian spores from www.sporeworks.com.  I'm also going to implement an incubation system:  A 4.1 gallon rubbermaid container filled 2/3 of the way with water and a ?50?watt submersible heater preset to 80 F; this encloses a smaller 2 gal container which the jars will be in.  Of couse the smaller container will be elevated from the larger.  I'm hoping to order my spores tomarrow, so I should be able to start by next week at the latest.  One quick question -- I'm at school right now, and i have 2 breaks coming up.  I don't think Thanksgiving will be a problem because it will come about a week into the mycelium colonization; I'm more worried, however, about Christmas break.  Christmas break will begin Dec 20 and I'll be back at school Jan 13, so that's 3 weeks that I'll be away from the project.  I could concievably come back to school earlier than the 13th (I'm lucky, I have an off-campus apartment) but it might be tough to explain to my parents.  Maybe to go job-hunting??  haha.  Anyway, I'm wondering what my options are here.  Should I start asap, hope that the mycelium is 100% colonized by Christmas, and then store in the refrigeratior?  Should I start asap and just leave the project to itself over both breaks?  I'm starting to think that maybe my best bet is going to be to start the project a few days before Christmas break so that it can be colonized over the 3 week break; damn, I will have massive finals though . . .  :mad:  Being a newbie I'm so anxious to start, but if that's going to screw my whole project . . . well I guess that woudn't be very smart now would it?  Well anyway I very much appreciate any and all help/tips that you give to this here newbie (on both the time to start and the method itself); I'm sure it will all come in  very  handy.   

--------------------
ha

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1064758 - 11/19/02 02:33 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Oh and I forgot to mention, no hard feelings toward the shroom wizard, any of his friends or anything like that. Also I believe that he is trustworthy, I just believe that this is the best route for me. Thanks again!

--------------------
ha

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1065106 - 11/19/02 04:30 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

I think you are doing the right thing. And you are correct, if you can get them colonized before break, you can put them in double ziplocks and store them in the fridge. Good Luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Anonymous

Re: the shroom wizard's reputation?? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1407308 - 03/25/03 02:19 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I agree that the shroom wizard is a great guy....hes answered all my dumbass newbie questions....I did send a spore order too him but it didn't get there...I think I messed it up tho I'm not blaming him...and I do plan too use his tek(my first time) if I don't succeed I will try others....I'm planning to use hydrogen peroxide diluted with water for watering the trays...I'm hoping this keeps out contams....what do you guys think of this? and also should I continue too spray hp+water when mushies are actually growing? or could this damage them or make them toxic or anything?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1407636 - 03/25/03 06:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

pod

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation