Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineumb_hunk
MycologistWannabe
Loc: Quebec, Canada
Time is of the essence
    #1062372 - 11/18/02 01:39 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

I have an aluminium Coleman cooler, I cut off a large hole in the lid and put plexi glass over it, sealed with mono, installed a drip shield, put perlite on the bottom. I have a 7? watt appliance light inside the cooler for temp and light. I get an average of 75 degrees and an RH of 99%. What should be the number of hours of light used for optimum results?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedets
higher mind andeducation
Re: Time is of the essence [Re: umb_hunk]
    #1062376 - 11/18/02 01:42 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

well, as a fungus, light isn't neccessary to the shrooms. however, the light does serve as a sort of trigger to the myc. tellling not only which way to grow (towards the light) but when also. the light should be placed on for 12 hours a day for about 2 - 3 days, once the pins come in. its not neccesary anymore.

--------------------
"patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Time is of the essence [Re: dets]
    #1062395 - 11/18/02 01:47 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

i dunno what you've been reading dets.....it seems as though you have your facts messed up.
light is important throughout the whole fruiting process. think of the cake, while its in the dark as being underground, its growing up to find light. when you bring it into the light, the sun, it wants to grow towards it. if you give a little bit of light, you will get tall skinny shrooms. a lot of light, you will get short fat shrooms. i try hard to leave my light on 24hours a day, i have two lamps on timers every other hour so i dont burn my room down.

Offlineumb_hunk
MycologistWannabe
Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Time is of the essence [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1062517 - 11/18/02 02:14 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

MsPacMan, I've been stabilizing the environment of my terrarium to provide a 14 hours of light and 10 hours of darkness. You think it's OK, not enough or too much?

Offlinedets
higher mind andeducation
Re: Time is of the essence [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1062518 - 11/18/02 02:15 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

ms pac man. while you did address the question correctly, it seems that you have misunderstood my other post. more light, shorter shrooms, less light taller shrooms. correct ms pac man. but, i have yet to meet a grower who strives to make short fat shrooms with plenty of water weight. who wants to have their myc using up all their nutrients and energy to create one overweight shroom. while you are right about what will happen in both cases when either too much light or not enough is involved, the fact of the matter is that mushrooms share no kind of photosynthesis, and having too much light, will ruin your harvest. in my expierance, 12 hours a day, for 3 days or until pinning occurs, is just enough light to make those boomers grow.

--------------------
"patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1062573 - 11/18/02 02:39 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Sounds like "urban myth " to me !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Anonymous

#1062691 - 11/18/02 03:16 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Do you people not read up on these things? Mycelia don't use light to tell which direction to grow. The only way light is used by the mycelium is to start the reaction to form hyphal knots, which in turn form pins. If the mycelium is in the ground, it can't see the light at all, and our version of that is incubation, in which there should be no light. After it breaks through the surface, it has no way of knowing if its alright to form carpophores, and it uses light to do so, mushrooms will get no smaller or larger from light after formation of pins. They do not photosynthesize, the only way light affects them as a carpophore is it makes them develop more coloration as protection, therefore slowing down growth a bit to form protection. Refer to this grow, right here. in it, he gave them very little light, which results in less coloration, and yet they are some of the largest I've seen, all growing upwards as well. The only reason you get weird shaped mushrooms is bad genetics, which mycofile avoided by cloning. Also, refer to this here. This shows that the growth actually slowed during light hours, which was growth slowed to produce protection from the light. Light during growth will only result in more colored mushrooms.
Please, if you're going to inform people, please read, as much as possible, the shroomery is full of information, 75% of which is in old posts.

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Time is of the essence [Re: ]
    #1062834 - 11/18/02 03:52 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

haven't you seen the results of using a light that is far to one side of the mushrooms? they invariably lean in the direction of the light.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Anonymous

Re: Time is of the essence [Re: Bilge]
    #1062889 - 11/18/02 04:09 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Hmmm.. that is true, however, that may be for pins which have formed underneath the ground or a log perhaps, and need to reach up toward the sun, which is up, to allow best distribution of spores when mature.  So, they still follow the sun, but only for reproductive purposes, and not for our purposes :grin:
The light only leads the mushrooms, affecting direction of growth, has no effect on potency, which is what we're striving for. 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation