Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTryptophann
Stranger
how sterile does fruiting chamber have to be?
    #1062022 - 11/18/02 11:07 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I ordered some grow kits with the cakes fully colonized. You just have to drop in an aquarium at the right temperature, humidity, and light. There's always recommendations on keeping everything sterile, but I don't live in the surgical ward of a hospital. So... would any of these things contaminate and ruin my setup:

- using bottled distilled water instead of boiling tap water
- putting a submersible water heater at the bottom of the tank to keep it at a steady temp and help with the humidity
- putting some (clean) wire mesh at the bottom of the tank to elevate the kit so it's not submersed in the water

My tank seems to be holding at a nice constant 78d air temp and 84% humidity.

I'm also a little confused about how often to exchange the air in the tank. It's a #10 tank and I've got about a 3"x3" opening in one corner.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: how sterile does fruiting chamber have to be? [Re: Tryptophann]
    #1062035 - 11/18/02 11:16 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Fan it out 1-3x a day with a piece of cardboard. As far as sterility, the cakes or casings can still become contaminated during fruiting, but this is a small chance. Many contams during fruiting are contams that develop during incubation. Just use a lot of Lysol or isopropyl alcohol, but don't get it close to your cakes, as it can destroy the mycelium.

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1062036 - 11/18/02 11:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Are you saying there is going to be standing water on the bottom? I could see that causing a problem. Use perlite.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1062068 - 11/18/02 11:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you want your humidity higher for cakes (95 - 100).

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlinedets
higher mind andeducation
Re: how sterile does fruiting chamber have to be? [Re: Bilge]
    #1062448 - 11/18/02 01:59 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

standing water would be a huge no no. as far as the wire mesh idea and everything else, it sounds ok but remember to keep as clean as possible when handiling your pets. there is no point in jepordising an entire harvest over one mental mistake

--------------------
"patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

OfflineTryptophann
Stranger
Re: how sterile does fruiting chamber have to be? [Re: dets]
    #1062503 - 11/18/02 02:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the instructions say to fill the aquarium with 3/4" of water and place the kit on top of it. I assumed that was to help with keeping the tank humid. I filled it about 2" of water so that the submersible water heater would be totally underwater. And the wire mesh is to keep the kit no deeper that 3/4" in the water.

As far as that lysol advice.... are you saying I should take the kit out, empty the water, and spray the entire inside of the tank with lysol and then put it all back together again? How often should that be done?

And the comment about the standing water... short of getting a water circulation and filtering system, is there some sort of chemical I can just drop in to keep the standing water sterile?

Offlinedets
higher mind andeducation
    #1062530 - 11/18/02 02:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

when heated, the water is going to act as a breeding ground for contams. i hope that kit you have is sealed away from that. an intersting setup, but to better understand it, could you provide a link with where you purchased this product from

--------------------
"patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

OfflineShtoops
Wonka'sMycologist

Loc: Willy's Oompa Lab
    #1062531 - 11/18/02 02:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You can use hydrogen Peroxide.. but I would not advice having standing water in ure terrarium... go for perlite... or a tropic aire air exchange/humidifier (pet stores)... many other ways of getting your humidity up.... check out all the tek's.. see what would work best for you.

Anonymous

#1062584 - 11/18/02 02:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You can put peroxide in the water to stop contaminates from growing in it, but I would still go with perlite. Cakes need a lot of humidity, and perlite would be a lot better at that than standing water.

OfflineTryptophann
Stranger
Re: how sterile does fruiting chamber have to be? [Re: ]
    #1065610 - 11/19/02 10:20 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I bought the kit from http://www.azarius.net If you click on the pik of the fully fruited P. Cubensis kit it will bring you to the growing instructions. The kit itself is a fully colonized mycelium contained in a rectangular tupperware container. The instructions tell me to remove the lid of the container and place the kit in a tank. So, the mycelium is still inside the tupperware container and it never comes in contact with the water. It's just the open top that it exposed to the air. Sounds like I should go out in search of some perlite though today, huh? Will having the cake out of the tank for a half hour while I drain the tank and fill it with Perlite cause any problems for the cake?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation