Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineProfessor Frink
Mycomaniac

Loc: USA
Shotgun FC automation and math question.
    #10606495 - 07/01/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm using a Shotgun FC attached to a scratch-built humidifier that's set on an automated timer to grow gourmets and medicinals. i'm hoping some of the more savvy posters on this board can help me with some calculations. I'm trying to determine is the theoretical maximum FC space this setup can accommodate, and what timing on a cycle timer would be the most efficient for this setup. This is not a post about any methods being superior to any others, this is more about the "convenience" of automation.

The humidifier is the mainland mart $24.95 model that can put out
1.667 ml/min.

If I'm correct air weighs 33.98 grams per cubic foot and at 76 F can hold .6796 grams of water in that same cubic foot for 100% humidity.

Now the blower is a cheapo computer fan (80MM) that pushes 24 CFM.

Basically the humidifier is a modified 10 gal aquarium that the ultrasonic floats in, attached to a buoy. The fan draws in the outside air and pushes that air with the ultrasonic mist through some cheapo pipe insulation and out into the FC, humidifying it.

The total volume of air inside the fruiting chamber, humidifier, and tubing is about ~1.9 Cubic feet.  I've been running it for the past 3 hours and it's been holding steady at >95%.     

Does the math check out with the results i'm having here? Is this setup giving my shotgun FC enough air exchange?

Also, if i turn off the humidifier and just run the fan in 2 mins cycles every 8 mins my humidity drops slowly to 65% over the course of a few hours. Does this suggest i actually am getting enough air exchange? I was calculating out this information but I'm not sure how to mathematically derive what I'm seeing, if anyone can help me out i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

--------------------
Culture trade list

Wanted Culture list:

Panellus stipticus
Yellow Morel

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Shotgun FC automation and math question. [Re: Professor Frink]
    #10606531 - 07/01/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You have a shtogun FC... It's done. You don't need anything else.
Perlite and a plastic container with holes 2 inches apart on all six sides. Done.

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

"The Universe is an artistic catharsis." Artifex Infinitum

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shotgun FC automation and math question. [Re: AlexP]
    #10606776 - 07/01/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

This post reminds me of being a teenager in the 1960s.  If all we could afford was a shitty $200 car, we'd put great big tires on the back of it.  The darn thing wouldn't go any faster, but it sure made us feel better driving around. 

The shotgun will maintain >95% with no humidifier or fans.  Simply mist to make up for lost substrate moisture several times per day.  You can't automate the misting process.  It takes your eyeball/brain connection to know when and how much.  It doesn't matter how much water air can hold at a certain temp.  The ambient changes with every passing hour, so you can't do it by the math.  Besides, you want an ebb and flow of moisture content in your substrates, not a steady state.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineProfessor Frink
Mycomaniac

Re: Shotgun FC automation and math question. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10607808 - 07/02/09 02:37 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks RR, I've got a tub identical to this one ready to go except without the fan/humidifier setup. I have had a hygrometer in it and the lowest it dived to with no air exchange was 87% (fogged up my electronic hygrometer to bejesus).

So CO2 won't buildup significantly to affect performance in a Shotgun FC without air exchange? That's reassuring.

If anything i'm most concerned with fast pinsets. Sometimes my properly setup shotgun FC cant hold very high humidity when RH dives below 50% outside and in the house.

I've been curious about using this setup on an outdoor FC, would this be a good idea?

--------------------
Culture trade list

Wanted Culture list:

Panellus stipticus
Yellow Morel

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Shotgun FC automation and math question. [Re: Professor Frink]
    #10608021 - 07/02/09 04:47 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

digital hygrometers arnt very accurate and they quit working when inside a terrarium. Ignore the digital guage your shotgun is working aslong as its built as per the tek. Just mist and fan a few times daily and it will work.

What edibles and medicinals ar eyou growing. Other species of mushrooms can require a little more care than cubes doo, for example alot more fresh air. Lions mane and oysters are 2 that come to mind that dont do too well unless you get them plenty of FAE, much more than youc ould get away with cubes

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineProfessor Frink
Mycomaniac

Re: Shotgun FC automation and math question. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10609933 - 07/02/09 01:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Right now i've got some King Oysters and Shiitake colonizing.

--------------------
Culture trade list

Wanted Culture list:

Panellus stipticus
Yellow Morel

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds