Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Peat, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
air exchange query
    #1060156 - 11/17/02 04:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

All the reading I've done says that air exchange is vital to a good harvest.

Like other newbies, I'm moving from cakes to casings (Phase 2) and have prepared almost all my goodies ready for the cakes to finish colonising (12 cakes inoculated 18 days ago with Cambodian - most are nearly snowball lookalikes). I still have to buy a decent hygrometer, if such a thing exists, and plan to check out Harrods' pet dept tomorrow!

After lots of soul searching, I'm probably gonna ignore my humidifier, and just use perlite - everyone says the humidity needs to be lower for casings. The thing is, I enjoyed the bonus last year (cakes only) of 24h air exchange via the humidifier. Now I'm trying to keep it automated and to avoid the need for fanning three times a day. A fishtank air blower is noisy, and most authors slag it off as a waste of time.

Before I rig up some crazy vacuum-cleaner-on-a-timer device,does anyone have any tips?

--------------------
buh

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: air exchange query [Re: shirley knott]
    #1060436 - 11/17/02 07:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yea-
get a large conatiner, i use an aquarium. fill it about 2 in. with perlite, soak the perlite with water, spray a little h202 (hydrogen peroxide). put your cakes on top of peat moss, definitely use peat moss....its awesome. the myc. will spread all over it, and give you a few more fruits. then make sure you fan out the container 3-4 times a day. dont waste your money on a hydrometer. they dont work. as long as you have some condensation on the sides, you are all good.

good luck.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Peat, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation