Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
Rye questions
    #1056697 - 11/15/02 07:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

My first question is, I just started 1 pint jars of rye and the water to rye ratio just doesn't seem right to me.

I precooked the rye for 45 min, strained for 20 and then loaded 125ml of rye allong with 110ml of spring water into my pint jars wich are now PCing. Their seems to be more water than rye in them... the water level is about a centimer above,. Could this be right?

My other question is how long can I let precooked rye sit around without going bad?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Rye questions [Re: Auditory Misperception]
    #1056701 - 11/15/02 07:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I've found that if I pre-boil my rye, I don't need to add any additional water to the jars. They seem to pick up any extra needed moisture from the PC. That's just my experience though.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Rye questions [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1056712 - 11/15/02 07:29 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This has been my experience as well. It seems much simpler to preboil the rye, drain, and then PC. Water content comes out pretty much perfect every time. I usually add 1-2CC of water before PC, but I cook my rye for 1.5 hrs, which is a bit longer than what most recommend (but I don't get bacillus anymore either). I am also doing grain transfers instead of spore innoculation, so I don't get any extra water later on...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Re: Rye questions [Re: Seuss]
    #1056836 - 11/15/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I pretty much PC for 90 mins. Probably overdone, but I haven't had any problems yet. I usually do grain to grain or usually I take the 2 or 3 strongest cakes from a batch of pf jars, chop em up in a blender, and xfer to rye. Works beautifully.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1056858 - 11/15/02 08:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"125ml of rye allong with 110ml of spring water into my pint jars"
That's for uncooked rye. Knock 'em up and see.

OfflineAcidSmurf
Mycobandit

Loc: North of KY, South of MI,...
    #1056860 - 11/15/02 08:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thats what I do too. Except I only pc for 1hour. Excellent method fred and seuss. PROPS TO U GUYS!

--------------------
If you drop your keys in a river of molten lava..... Let em go..... Because man... They're gone! - Jack Handey

OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
    #1057613 - 11/16/02 04:01 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ahhhh, that would make alot more sence...

One more question, how far do I fill the jars with precooked rye? My jars were only about half full with 125ml...

thanks...

Offlinecodyears
old hippie
Loc: east tn
    #1057619 - 11/16/02 04:07 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

after boiling my rye for 45 min. I add 1 tablespoon of vermiculite to my mix before I pc. this seems to help pull any extra water out and helps to break up the mix before I case. works good for me

--------------------
just an old hippie looking for his head

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1058030 - 11/16/02 11:41 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I don't like precooking my grains because I think you lose alot of nutes.  i may be wrong, but when you boil your grain the wter gets saturated with grain material.  You can later use this water as an additive to stuff, so that means there are nutes in there.  I want all my nutes in the jar with my rye.  :grin:  I take water I have saved from pastuerized poo or compost and add to my jars with dry grain.  I PC for 35-45 mins and viola.  I agree that the water content is better when you precook, and if it is spawn for a bulk substrate I guess it is gonna get all kinds of nutes from the bulk substrate so it wouldn't matter.  Just my thoughts on the subject. 
Anybody think otherwise? 

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Re: Rye questions [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1058065 - 11/16/02 12:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I had the same thoughts about losing the nutes when pre-boiling. I save whatever left over water there is for use in pf jars, and I haven't really noticed any bad results from my rye jars. But as you said CnO, I use my rye jars to spawn straw/poo so I don't think its too big a deal anyway. My rye jars seem to colonize exteremly fast, usually less than 5 days from inoculation with ground up pf cakes to 100% colonization.
As for pre-boiling the rye, I really don't do it too much. I combine the rye and water in a pot, bring it to a boil, let simmer for about 10 min, then turn off and let sit on the stove for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally. Once you get the feel for how much water the rye berries will absorb, you'll find that there's not a lot of water left over when it's done soaking.
Hope that made sense and I hope it helps someone.

--------------------

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1059488 - 11/17/02 02:06 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe your fast colonization is due to the preboilding. Proteins denature close to boiling, so perhaps the rye is made easier to dissolve and absorb by preboiling it. Kind of like pre mashing potatoes for old people. I'd like to see an experiment where 5 pre boiled jars are inoculated the same time as five non-preboilded jars and see if the jars that are preboiled colonize faster.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1059702 - 11/17/02 05:51 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

because I think you lose alot of nutes

I haven't noticed anything negative regarding mycelium growth rates or potency, etc. To be honest, I haven't tried a side by side comparison either.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Rye questions [Re: Seuss]
    #1059703 - 11/17/02 05:58 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

1000th post! Congrats!

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
    #1059716 - 11/17/02 06:36 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm about to do another batch of rye jars, I'll try three pre-boiled and three not. I'll post my results here when they're done.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1059822 - 11/17/02 09:34 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You don't want to fill the jars right up because you need some room to be able to shake it all up once it gets about 1/4 colonized. I suggest using quart jars, 1 cup grain and 120 ml water. PC for 1 full hour at 15 psi. then shake it up well so the wetter grains mix with the drier grains. I suggest shaking it several times over the next 24 hours before innocultaing. If you see any wet spots, don't bother wasting your spores.

I have heard good things about the presimmering method although I don't think the grain would need to be pc'ed for too much longer after already having been simmering for a while.

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Rye questions [Re: ]
    #1059940 - 11/17/02 11:30 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I once read a replay similar to this in a thread about growing on millet. It seemed easy enough, and it ended up being the only grain tek I have gotten to work properly.

Use Annos Grain for dummies Tek

Gorw lots of mushrooms

And there you have it. BTW, who ever it was that originally posted this little gem I would give you credit if only I could remember your name.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck