Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

Apathetic Trippers
    #10594993 - 06/29/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I started taking psychedelics well after a few of my not so close but still friends started taking them and under the influence of LSD I had a profound Leary-esque, enlightened, ego-shattering, pseudo-religious, philosophical revolutionizing perspective which opened up millions of new questions and profoundly changed my life forever...

Well, since I bought the acid from one of these people I was eager to tell them what I assumed they already knew and further discuss it with them. However, upon going into detail and clearly explaining what happened to me they all just kind of looked at me like I was crazy...

It turns out--though later discussion--that they take and enjoy psychedelics for a much different reason. As one friend put it "I take acid to see crazy shit."

Was I just expecting too much from people who really aren't that intelligence? I mean, I don't care if your a one-dimensional person with little introspective thought or philosophical background--acid should revolutionize everything you see as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand this group of people--take drugs all the time and see nothing but hedonistic value? Does anyone else have to deal with people like this...They really aren't apathetic--braindead is more appropriate.

It's like the Doors of Perception only exist for some people...Would anyone else agree?

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and  you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: JackofSpades]
    #10595009 - 06/29/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

A lot of people don't take the psychedelic experience seriously.  They don't think that the experience is "valid."  I personally think stupid people aren't interested in psychedelics, because the more intelligent one is, the more challenging the psychedelic experience is.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineChildoftheKoRn
No one is stopping you but you
Male

#10595011 - 06/29/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yes sir.. I hate people who take psychedelics to get "fucked up"

They deserve more respect

--------------------
"With your feet on the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it
And you'll ask yourself"

"Where is my mind?"

-------------------------

OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #10595037 - 06/29/09 10:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yeah one of my friends who trips to get fucked up went on a drunken rant about how acid is an egotistical drug which makes you think you're a freethinker when you're not...

This pisses me off because like it or not acid breaks down conditioned mindsets and allows consciousness expansion...I don't understand how someone can experience something that profound and be so ignorant of it...

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and  you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10595063 - 06/29/09 10:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JackofSpades said:
I don't understand how someone can experience something that profound and be so ignorant of it...

Because your friend is dumb dude.  The psychedelics address you as an individual, but allow you think away separate from the individual... if that makes sense.  Know what i mean?

--------------------

OfflineMchaggis
cawbstawmper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Bama Ghost Country Flag
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: ChildoftheKoRn]
    #10595086 - 06/29/09 10:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

to me, there are
1. hedonistic/pleasure drugs
2. empiricist/intelligence drugs
3. drugs that contain elements of both
4. Drugs that are neither insightful/empiricist or pleasurable

Opiates, benzo's, and alcohol would be a good example of #1
DMT, Salvia, and many RC's would be examples of #2
LSD, mushrooms and weed would contain elements of both
and things like toluene/tetraflouroethane, dimenhydrinate/diphenhydramine and datura would be #4

and to not take everything you can from a drug would be, in my eyes, a waste. Not ENJOYING your LSD is just as bad as doing NOTHING BUT enjoying it, you feel me?

OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

#10595090 - 06/29/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Quote:

JackofSpades said:
I don't understand how someone can experience something that profound and be so ignorant of it...

Because your friend is dumb dude.  The psychedelics address you as an individual, but allow you think away separate from the individual... if that makes sense.  Know what i mean?

I entirely understand. My friend is also a racist frat boy so his ignorance wasn't really a surprise..kind of expected at this point...

However, the whole "think separate from the individual/ego you typically are" should make a large impact even on a stupid person..

I just wish that people I knew thought more and saw more value in the psychedelic experience like I did...This has also kind of made me feel isolated from a lot of other people...I always want to go on rants about breaking down conditioned modes of thought and uncovering one's true self but there is no one else who thinks like that around me...Maybe I should join a family or something :mushroom2::grin:

--------------------

Offlinejoe Biggs
Male

#10595101 - 06/29/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
A lot of people don't take the psychedelic experience seriously.  They don't think that the experience is "valid."  I personally think stupid people aren't interested in psychedelics, because the more intelligent one is, the more challenging the psychedelic experience is.

one cannot be interested in a challenge?

--------------------

OfflineChildoftheKoRn
No one is stopping you but you
Male

#10595110 - 06/29/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You are a member of the Shroomery family bro! Unload your thoughts on us its what we are here for

--------------------
"With your feet on the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it
And you'll ask yourself"

"Where is my mind?"

-------------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: joe Biggs]
    #10595156 - 06/29/09 11:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

joe Biggs said:
Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:

They can, but most people who are not interested in a challenge aren't as intelligent as the ones who are.  Look at educational institutions.  Who is taking challenging courses and look who is just taking what ever they can to get by.  Do you not see a correlation?

--------------------

Offlinejoe Biggs
Male

#10595186 - 06/29/09 11:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Quote:

joe Biggs said:
Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:

They can, but most people who are not interested in a challenge aren't as intelligent as the ones who are.  Look at educational institutions.  Who is taking challenging courses and look who is just taking what ever they can to get by.  Do you not see a correlation?

the insight of understanding my mind, juxtaposed against the cosmos is a greater yield than knowing that negative B plus or minus the square root of B square minus 4AC all over 2A is how to find X in the equation AX squared + BX + C = O.

--------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: joe Biggs]
    #10595219 - 06/29/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yes and i agree.  What i am saying is that intelligent people try to understand the psychedelic experience, and integrate the insight and understanding back with them when they come down.  Stupid people come down and don't attempt this at all, they just had a fun time seeing shit.  Its because they don't take the experience as being real.  They think that since they took this drug what they were experiencing wasn't valid or has no potential for anything useful.  When in fact all mental experience is drug induced, whether the drug is indigenously produced or exogenously consumed.

--------------------

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

#10595263 - 06/29/09 11:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Yes and i agree.  What i am saying is that intelligent people try to understand the psychedelic experience, and integrate the insight and understanding back with them when they come down.  Stupid people come down and don't attempt this at all, they just had a fun time seeing shit.  Its because they don't take the experience as being real.  They think that since they took this drug what they were experiencing wasn't valid or has no potential for anything useful.  When in fact all mental experience is drug induced, whether the drug is indigenously produced or exogenously consumed.

I agree with most of what youve said Cognitive_Shift.

I dont know if Id say that some people dont value the psychedelic experience because theyre dumb, though.

Offlinesuburbanned
Stranger

Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: TTT]
    #10595275 - 06/29/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You take drugs way too seriously.  Who cares if they take acid to see colors, as long as their responsible then its fine with me.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: TTT]
    #10595303 - 06/29/09 11:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Dumb is a bad word to use.  Because of its negatively associated syntax.  Less-intelligent people is better... i guess.

--------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: suburbanned]
    #10595326 - 06/29/09 11:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not saying responsible people who take psychedelics to "see shit" are not worthy of them, but for some people the experience is the most profound experience they have their entire lives.  I think its entirely reasonable for people to take the experience seriously.

--------------------

InvisibleMelusina
Male
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: Mchaggis]
    #10595397 - 06/29/09 11:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mchaggis said:
to me, there are
1. hedonistic/pleasure drugs
2. empiricist/intelligence drugs
3. drugs that contain elements of both
4. Drugs that are neither insightful/empiricist or pleasurable

Opiates, benzo's, and alcohol would be a good example of #1
DMT, Salvia, and many RC's would be examples of #2
LSD, mushrooms and weed would contain elements of both
and things like toluene/tetraflouroethane, dimenhydrinate/diphenhydramine and datura would be #4

and to not take everything you can from a drug would be, in my eyes, a waste. Not ENJOYING your LSD is just as bad as doing NOTHING BUT enjoying it, you feel me?

I'd stick a few RC's in numbers 3 and 4, myself. Especially 4. *shudder*

I don't particularly mind what people do with their drugs, as long as they don't hurt anyone. What bugs me, though, is when people think you are nuts for having a profound experience. GOD FORBID someone should have a profound experience! Man, that is just not "cool!"

They don't understand how I could lose control that way; I can't understand how they haven't killed themselves trying to hang on. And I have a sneaking suspicion that a few have had their own little closet spiritual awakenings, which they would never EVER admit to :wink:

EDIT-You, know, though, if we didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't keep doing it. With all our talk of respect and awakening-we get pleasure from it. Maybe it's just the difference in people-those who enjoy deep experiences and those who don't. I'm the type who finds ego death pleasurable...Or, I should say, I find pleasure in ego death. I even find pleasure buried under "bad" trips. I suppose if I didn't, I'd stop tripping or dose less.

And then I'd be a 2g kinda girl...one of "those" people who trips for the visuals. If I didn't like a mind fuck-I'd be looking to dodge the mind fuck.

Edited by Melusina (06/29/09 11:59 PM)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: Melusina]
    #10595464 - 06/30/09 12:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have only tripped a handful of times, but I personally have yet to decide whether there is much validity/usefulness in the train of thought brought on by psychedelics.  I am by no means dumb, or less-intelligent - I go to a great university, and hack my way to a 75 average.  I have people telling me all the time they cannot believe I don't apply myself, because I should have a 90+ average.

I have had some interesting revelations through the use of psychedelics, especially LSD.  However, after giving them further thought, I have a hard time putting the information presented to good use.  Most of the insight I have gained has been a true understanding of perspective - it is everything.

Our lives mean nothing in the grand scheme of the universe, but they can mean everything if we change the reference that we are using to base our arguments.  I don't, however, see how that is useful information to every day life.  If one spent all of one's time contemplating these thoughts, one would accomplish absolutely nothing.

I could go on, but this thread is not about my view on psychedelics, it is about how people can take psychedelics for a myriad of reasons, and not all of them will line up with everyone else's views on the matter.

I'm not saying that psychedelics are definitely not useful, but I personally have not had an experience that I believe provided me with much information that can be incorporated into day to day life.  Note that I say not much, not none; I see the potential, but not everyone has a profound, life changing experience every time they drop a couple hits.

InvisibleUnbearable_B
Strangerer

Re: Apathetic Trippers [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #10595568 - 06/30/09 12:33 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It's all about seeing things from new perspectives.  This is what LSD has enhanced my ability to do.  Not to mention it has made my weed experiences soo much more profound

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10595700 - 06/30/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Dumb is a bad word to use.  Because of its negatively associated syntax.  Less-intelligent people is better... i guess.

Eh. Not really better or more appropriate in terms of being exact or open minded.

--------------------
Imagination is the organ of meaning.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies