Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Glovebox idea
    #1055775 - 11/15/02 12:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Somebody tell me if this won't work. My friend has a lot of wood left over from a failed attempt at building a bigger flowhood box. So he wants to use it to try this idea:

Build a box out of 3/4" thick medium density fiberboard measuring 23" long, 15" tall, and 17" wide. He will have the top open and close on hinges, have footlocker like snaps on the front so it will seal tight, and have weather stripping along the top border of the box so that the lid will have a nice tight seal. He'll cut a big square hole in the top and superglue/screw in a sheet of plexiglass for visual access. He will then cut 2 circular holes in the front, buy some good user friendly gloves, and attach them to the box by finding some good thick plastic rings and putting them over the last inch or so of the glove and screwing the ring in over the glove to where they're permanently attached and sealed. Before using the box for agar work or whatever, he will spray down w. lysol real good, shut the box, and go to work 15 min. or so later. A future modification could be a UV light on the inside, since it won't be in contact w. the skin it could work possibly. Will this idea work u think?!?! Thanks for the input ahead of time!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

Re: Glovebox idea [Re: Visigoth]
    #1055809 - 11/15/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think wood is the best material to use for aglove box. It's too hard to sterilize. Buy a $7 Rubbermaid box and add a HEPA filter. There's a pic in my 'FREE Glove Box thread. The UV lightis a nice touch.

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: Glovebox idea [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1055830 - 11/15/02 01:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

He doesn't like the idea of using a rubbermaid. There doesn't seem to be anyway to completely seal the top/lid. With the wooden design, there's no way anything could get in there, especially after a good spraydown w. lysol. Add the UV light and u gotta certified glovebox w. a BHD (Bacteria Hatin Degree)!!! Plus it would be much easier to screw a UV light into wood rather than plastic or rubber. This is the same type wood they advise using for flowhood boxes. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1055837 - 11/15/02 01:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

it'll work but i agree the rubbermaid would be better because it is non-porous if nothing else.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1056406 - 11/15/02 04:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Add some weatherstripping tape from Home dePot. Line the top edge with it.
Plastic is easy to work with. You can still mount the light.
I'm not 100% on this, but the features and design of the flow hood may allow wood, whereas a GB without air flow won't.

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#1056573 - 11/15/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't understand why everyone is so down on wood!! This isn't really wood, it's medium density fiberboard, if you've ever seen this stuff u'd know it looks extremely safe to use, the stuff is packed down hard!! I don't see any tiny pores or anything in it. If it's that big a deal, couldn't I just add a reverse flow fan in the side pulling all the air out and that way nothing could get in?? In case u haven't noticed my persistance, I REALLY want this idea to work. If not I just blew 80 dollars down the drain on wood, I mean, fiberboard.

Vis

--------------------

InvisiblePsilosKube
I'm eat todd did

Loc: In bed with your woman
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Visigoth]
    #1056607 - 11/15/02 06:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
PK

All information and images posted by myself are fictional and for entertainment purposes only. I accept no responsibility for inapropriate or Illegal use of this information.

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: Glovebox idea [Re: PsilosKube]
    #1056613 - 11/15/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you PsiloKube!!!! I knew if I just waited long enough, someone would tell me the answer I wanted to hear!!! I mean, I'm probably gonna try it anyways cuz what do I have to loose?? Ten bucks in plexiglass and gloves since I already have the wood, trial and error, the thing that got us here in the first place, gotta love it!!!!

Vis

--------------------

OfflineAcidSmurf
Mycobandit

Loc: North of KY, South of MI,...
    #1056618 - 11/15/02 06:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That sounds ok but I think its less trouble trying to seal a rubber maid than a wood box, since you would have coat the inside with something. But the end product would one heavy box. I built my car subwoofer box out of 3/4" mdf and that shit is heavy. But if thats all you got then what the hell

--------------------
If you drop your keys in a river of molten lava..... Let em go..... Because man... They're gone! - Jack Handey

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1057055 - 11/15/02 10:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well if you're asking if it will work, after you've built it- I'd say just seal the wood-either with a laminate, or with a spray on finish..

Offlinemyco_holic
mycologicalexplorer
Loc: SoCal
    #1057162 - 11/15/02 11:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Visi....dont waste your money making an elaborate glovebox...just make one out of a cardboard box.....Trust me it works...and you can save some money to buy some more jars, syinges , and maybe even a new grow chamber....if you want plans for it check out the archives here

--------------------
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Jack Handey.

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
Re: Glovebox idea [Re: myco_holic]
    #1057266 - 11/16/02 12:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, cardboard works. mist inside heavily with strong bleach solution

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds