Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemariasabina
addict
thoughts on drug use
    #1056570 - 11/15/02 07:44 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Some clich?s are correct. Attitude is everything. Our state of mind creates our reality. There are people have everything, yet they are unhappy. Then there are the eccentric oddities who are ostracized by society? people look at them as if they are crazy, but some of them are truly happy. Every situation is relative. You may wish you were never born, but there is someone who would die to live your life. It is not the situation itself, but our view of the situation.

It?s all very scientific, actually. Every emotion and thought is a result of billions of neurons firing in our brain. Thus, our very life experience is composed of chemical reactions. This leads me to what may be considered a dubious conclusion about drug use. One may think that enlightenment leads one out of drug use, but for enlightenment to justify or even lead one into this perceived deviance? Paradoxically, enlightenment has more to do with freedom than morality. Our sense of morality is indirectly affected, as our preconceived notions come into question in the newfound light of understanding.

If our reality is shaped by chemical reactions in the brain, what could be illegitimate about using drugs to alter our brain chemistry? Is the experience which results any less valid or real? It is indeed an induced state, but there is a difference between something induced and something faked. This is the reason why drugs can be so dangerous, because the experience is powerful, and it is real. It can be a key to becoming the master of your own reality.

The problem is that the drug induced state is temporary. This is the tragedy of life: once you get a taste of something exceptionally good, it is hard to go back to mediocrity. This cruel principle applies to everything in life. At any point, the stigma of drug use can become apparent if addiction takes hold. You will do anything to feed that addiction, as mundane life becomes too cold, ugly, or boring to bear anymore.

A potential downfall of drug use is the toll it can take on the body in the long term. This depends largely on the substance, and severity of use. This also comes down to a question of longevity vs. quality of life. Medically speaking, I think it would be better for a depressed individual to take antidepressants for the rest of their life, than to suffer through a miserable lifespan because they are worried about the long term effects of taking medication. Furthermore, being psychologically troubled can have detrimental effects on the physiological state as well.

Is it possible then, to use drugs in a responsible manner? I am convinced that the very nature of a hedonistic personality will eventually lead that person down the path to addiction. However, for the users who are not using solely for the sake of pleasure, I believe it is possible to use drugs responsibly and to their advantage. This of course, requires an exercise of will, moderation, and to some degree, wisdom. Like anything in life, drugs are neither good nor evil. It is what we do with them that matters.

--------------------
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. - Niel Gaiman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: thoughts on drug use [Re: mariasabina]
    #1056590 - 11/15/02 07:56 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Like anything in life, drugs are neither good nor evil. It is what we do with them that matters.

Not only what we do with them, but what they do with us.

it would be better for a depressed individual to take antidepressants

As all things do, depression has a root or nexus. Find the root of the problem to cure the problem... easy to say, for some easy to do; for most very difficult, but only because we make it so.

A very pleasant post to read. Thank you.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblecruiser
jonesing
    #1056635 - 11/15/02 08:25 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I use drugs as a tool. It's too bad there's such a stigma attached to drug use. I bet no one around me would even guess that I'm a "user".

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: thoughts on drug use [Re: cruiser]
    #1056645 - 11/15/02 08:34 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

It's too bad there's such a stigma attached to drug use.

I agree with you. Each of us should be responsible for our own actions. Why must others feel the need to protect me from myself? If I want to use drugs to find the path of the rightous, allow me to do so please. If the tryanny of evil finds me instead, then so be it.

Be careful using drugs as a tool... it is very easy for a tool to become an excuse to become a handicap.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: thoughts on drug use [Re: Seuss]
    #1056739 - 11/15/02 09:41 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I use drugs as a tool. It's too bad there's such a stigma attached to drug use. I bet no one around me would even guess that I'm a "user".

I'm like that too. Well, some people think I 'zone out' alot and think I'm stoned or something when really I'm just a quiet person who likes to think.

As for drug use and it's addictivness, I can somewhat say that I agree with it. I used to do a lot of different drugs all the time (my experimentation phase), this I think back on and find that it was my roomate who got me to do all of them. After that 'phase', I moved far away from the ghetto and began to starve myself from wanting to do drugs. The ghetto life is a shitty one, it made me feel ugly and drugs just fit with it. Now I barely do anything anymore, I just think of those good experiences I've had and all that.

By the way, Hallusinegenic grugs have the lowest rate of addiction and very minimal side-effects.

:wink:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Invisiblemariasabina
addict
Re: thoughts on drug use [Re: Murex]
    #1056785 - 11/15/02 10:07 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

murex, i'm fairly quiet and tend to zone out while i'm thinking too.

i wonder how many people actually do drugs. i don't look like a user either, and sometimes i'm surprised to find out someone i know uses b/c they seem so conservative or straight edge.

In reply to:

Be careful using drugs as a tool... it is very easy for a tool to become an excuse to become a handicap.

true words of wisdom, suess...

--------------------
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. - Niel Gaiman

Anonymous

#1056845 - 11/15/02 10:40 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Your post is a wonderful combination of wisdom and intelligence.

However, I must take issue with one of your premises.

"Every emotion and thought is a result of billions of neurons firing in our brain." and "If our reality is shaped by chemical reactions in the brain...."

Your use of the word 'result' is an equivocation. You are using it like a person who says the picture on my tv screen is a result of millions of elecrons without realizing that there is more to consciousness than the reductive inferences drawn from your statement.

The human mind is chemicals and electricity, but it is oh so much more than that.

But nevermind my quibbling. I thought your post was great. Sometimes we forget that drugs are dangerous.

Cheers,

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology