Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrabbyAss
sharp shooter

Keepin IT Clean *DELETED*
    #1056547 - 11/15/02 07:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by CrabbyAss

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAcidSmurf
Mycobandit

Loc: North of KY, South of MI,...
Re: Keepin IT Clean [Re: CrabbyAss]
    #1056609 - 11/15/02 08:07 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just use my open oven as a poor man's flow hood and use the constant updraft of heat to ensure contams don't settle on my surface. I just scoop out a hunk of colonized brf and put it in the water jar to make mycelium water. so I only have open jars for a brief moment, then use a syringe to make all other transfers.

--------------------
If you drop your keys in a river of molten lava..... Let em go..... Because man... They're gone! - Jack Handey

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Keepin IT Clean [Re: AcidSmurf]
    #1137067 - 12/13/02 01:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ya they sure are

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1137268 - 12/13/02 04:13 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have this Kenmore HEPA, I forget the model #, that has separate air intakes on each side and a fairly small "blowhole". It sits on a table inside my workroom (hanging plastic walk in size with tables and shelves) with one intake pulling air from outside and the other intake pulling air fom inside. This has the advantage of creating positve air pressure and refiltering the internal air. I have a quasi glove box that I built out of pvc pipe and plastic sheeting. It is simply designed to interface to the HEPA's blowhole to create an airflow through it while I insert jars and hands and do the sensitive work. For most stuff (excluding wide open sterile jars of grain) the oven tek works.

OfflineSHR00M0L0GIST
Psilocybin Test Subject
Male

Loc: Mescaland
Re: Keepin IT Clean [Re: debianlinux]
    #1137312 - 12/13/02 04:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just simply spray the whole room down with lysol and cover the heating vents. That seems to work fine. Just try to let the lysol settle for a minute or two.

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Keepin IT Clean [Re: SHR00M0L0GIST]
    #1139928 - 12/14/02 01:03 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I work in the basement of an older house.
One thing I am getting ready to do after battling massive cobweb contams, black pin mould, green stuff, orange stuff, and wierd stuff that might be a lost sock, or it might be an alien predator mould out to steal my soul:

First, I have taken a bigt shop-vaccuum and vacuumed the entire place, getting all of the cobwebs, spiderwebs, dust, dirt, etc, especially concentrating on the cieling and ductwork.

I am getting one of those plastic pump-up sprayers...the kind used for spraying pesticides around the yard. (I am getting a brand new one instead of using the one I have that has had god knows WHAT in it) Into the sprayer I will put a 50/50 mix of bleach and water.
Then I will wait untill everyone is going to be out of the house for at least a few hours, put on a good breather mask, and probably some goggles and OLD clothes, then I am going to pump the thing up really good and just start hosing down EVERYTHING! Starting with the cieling, paying special attention to the ductwork, cieling beams, and little crevices, then spraying down the walls. I will probably have to stop and refill a couple of times, I am planning on using three or four gallons of bleach total. (I think its a five-gallon tank on the sprayer).
Then I will open one or two windows in the basement, and one or two upstairs, with fans in them, to suck the bleachy smell out...after letting it sit for 30 minuts or so. During this time I will evacuate myself down to the pub for a few drinks.

Then when I get back, a good rinsing of the sprayer tank, and fill it with a 50/50 mix of water and H2O2, and give it a light spraying, and continue to air it all out.

Maybe I will also string up some black lights, and grow-lights.

I think the real trick will be to dry it all out as thouroughly as possible, as sprayiong water around down there will create a damp situation that will just breed MORE contams. I might even rent a dehumidifyer.

THEN, I think I will buy a whole bunch of clear plastic (4-mil, window-wheather proofing type) and staple it to the cieling, and then form four walls that hang down, like in one corner, and seal the corners together with duct tape, or clear packing tape, to create a room to work in.

And then we will see if some of my contam problems go away.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: CrabbyAss]
    #1140015 - 12/14/02 02:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #1140072 - 12/14/02 03:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't use a flow hood, glove box, lysol or anything for inoculating jars and haven't had any contams yet, touch wood. Perhaps I'm just lucky !  :grin:

I must admit though when I make mycelium water or spore syringes etc I follow the oven tek which works fine for me..

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Edited by Bi0TeK (12/14/02 03:11 PM)

OfflineMdubya
pussy control

Loc: im at a gay rave.
Re: Keepin IT Clean [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1140078 - 12/14/02 04:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Excuse ME!  umm why do you guys need this clean of an environment??

For innoculation of jars? ive done all 40 of mine in my b-room with no problems . or is their something else your using these for...>> :confused: 

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Mdubya]
    #1140819 - 12/14/02 12:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineSHR00M0L0GIST
Psilocybin Test Subject
Male

Loc: Mescaland
Re: Keepin IT Clean [Re: matts]
    #1140825 - 12/14/02 12:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

Excuse ME! umm why do you guys need this clean of an environment??

With a clean environment there is a much smaller chance of contamination. Its not necessarily necessary. Its just precaution. Its better to be safe than sorry. Know what I mean??? I was just wondering why you would even ask that question when the most stressed point in all the teks is "sterilization".

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation