Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Morning Glory Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Unknown root growth - Results: Cyclamen
    #10564484 - 06/24/09 02:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I was about to clear away some scylla bulb growth from our yard about a week ago and noticed these strange berry-like growths lying on the ground.  I picked one up to see what it was and noticed that it has a "coiled vine" attached to it.  This coil straightens out underground and attaches to some root (I'm pretty sure, at least).  It is around a lilac shrub, but mostly it is underneath the scylla, with the berries lying on top of some very weathered woodchips.  I've weeded many peoples' yards this year of scylla and have never encountered this before.  I live in the PNW area and was hoping someone might know what this is.

Habitat shot:

--------------------

Edited by PoC (07/03/09 04:19 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Unknown root growth [Re: PoC]
    #10565575 - 06/24/09 05:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Are the berries woody? Maybe its some type of gourd. :shrug:

EG

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Unknown root growth [Re: ethnoguy]
    #10570417 - 06/25/09 02:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The fruit are not woody.  I took some pictures of a dissected one yesterday but can't seem to find my camera at the moment.  The more I think about these, the more curious I am to know what they are.  It never ceases to surprise me that there seem to always be plants showing up in the back yard that I didn't even know were there.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#10610242 - 07/02/09 04:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I found my camera and here's pictures of one of those little balls crudely dissected.  No guesses as to what these are?

--------------------

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #10611926 - 07/02/09 10:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

unripe Morning Glory seedpods

Edited by cpw1971 (07/02/09 10:23 PM)

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Unknown root growth [Re: cpw1971]
    #10612670 - 07/03/09 01:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What makes you think that?  I really doubt they are as they are attached underground to some root and also don't, at least to me, strongly resemble morning glory seed pods.  There's also no signs of any Ipomea plants around where I found these or anywhere in the yard (and there were maybe 7 of these growths in a small area I exposed).

--------------------

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #10613103 - 07/03/09 02:38 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Honestly, this one has had me stumped for a while now, which is why I've avoided this topic, though I have finally come up with a "guess" I'm at least somewhat confident in.

I believe what you have may be the pods from a dodder (Cuscuta) species, an entirely parasitic weed, and dangerous invasive in some places. I have yet to find pictures of pods that look exactly like that (with the curling stems), though they the ones I have seen look similar in shape, and the seeds are right. There are hundreds of species in the genus, so its very possible its one of them, perhaps one with no web documentation.  It would be consistent with how you describe it growing (attaching to roots), and the decisive blow for this ID would be if you find nearly leafless viney growth around the plants.  Also, it would be helpful to know approximately how big they are.

What I do not like about my hypothetical ID is that you didn't mention viney growth. Dodders are generally pretty nasty, and while there might be species that grow mostly underground, all the dodders I'm aware of grow above ground, and pretty unmistakable for anything else.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Unknown root growth [Re: Horticulture]
    #10613349 - 07/03/09 03:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Cuscuta was interesting to read a little about, though I don't think that's it either.  I think I will go out tomorrow and see if I can gather any more clues, or a better description.  Maybe I can trace one back to an identifiable root or find something I missed before.  Thanks for your input.

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #10613538 - 07/03/09 04:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

They look like Cyclamen sp. seed pods to me. You say they are attached to a root in the ground, this root is called a corm(bulb-like). The seed pods were once the flowers, when pollinated the petals drop off and the calyx swells. As this happens the stem will twist itself and push its way into the ground, hence where it gets its name(Cyclamen).That's why they are twisted in that way.

They look to be about the size of a large pea and contain many seeds.The seeds are soft, similar to the contents of a cannabis seed. I am sure that's what they are.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Unknown root growth [Re: karode13]
    #10613579 - 07/03/09 04:45 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's exactly what they are!  There are a few of those around that area but I saw no evidence of their leaves or corms.  I looked up some pictures of their seed pods and that's exactly what these are.  Thanks a lot!

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10613615 - 07/03/09 04:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

No worries!

The leaves grow at the start of Autumn and die off in the Spring/Summer. If you want, have a dig and you will find a small corm.

I have grown them off and on over the years, they have exceptional flowers.
They take a few years to flower from seed though.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#10613624 - 07/03/09 04:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I may try and collect a few seeds.  They seem to do just fine outside here, so maybe I'll germinate a few and transplant them outdoors for the future.

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10613692 - 07/03/09 05:15 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

They will take about 3-5 years. I work in the Nursery trade and have propagated thousands and re-potted another thousand or so. I have some in my yard and they have just stopped flowering and are setting seed. I have one indoors that is flowering off it's head. I will post a picture if you would like?

--------------------

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Unknown root growth [Re: karode13]
    #10615408 - 07/03/09 01:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nice work karode. I've had a cyclamen plant, but have never seen it seed. I had no idea they did this.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Morning Glory Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden