Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Maintaing 85 to 92% humidity for casings?
    #1052484 - 11/14/02 12:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I've grown many a cake, and I want to do some casings... perlite has always performed faithfully for my humidification needs, but I've read that casings require a lower, more adjustable humidtity, something that perlite does a poor job of providing. At the same time, I have heard of people using perlite succesfully to humidify their casings. I've also seen people that have used no humidification at all.
Tinkering around with humidification setups and trying to work them out through trial and error is not something i'm up for. I'd like to either just use the perlite and hope it's not too wet for my little friends, or case them in a container with it's own lid (casing directly into an opaque rubbermaid container) and use no humidification technique.
I have an idea, and that is to case into an opaque rubbermaid container with the lid off and put it into a perlite humidified terrarium for pinning, then just take it out (or maybe leave it in the terrarium) and put the lid on it for fruiting. How does that sound? What works?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Maintaing 85 to 92% humidity for casings? [Re: ]
    #1052532 - 11/14/02 01:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Perilite would not be enough all alone . Misting is helpfull , but the use of some sort of bubbler system is almost a must below is method cousin "IT ' uses , hope it helps lead you in right direction .

You can this at Petsmart for 20 $ , works great so far , experimenting on using to humidify two tanks . Supposedly will do 55 gal tank .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Maintaing 85 to 92% humidity for casings? [Re: ]
    #1052577 - 11/14/02 01:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

What I did was instead of covering the bottom of my terrarium with perlite, I just put a some perlite in a small tupperware next to my casings in my terrarium. To initiate pinning, i merely sprayed the side walls, and misted the casings themselves (not too much, just a light misting).

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Re: Maintaing 85 to 92% humidity for casings? [Re: tripndicular]
    #1052615 - 11/14/02 01:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Perilite would not be enough all alone .

Actually, perlite is usually too much. Using just perlite my humidity is 95-100, too high for casings. If you just put a small tray or container of perlite in the corner of your terrarium you can usually get it down somehwere in the mid 80s...but it will take some tweaking to get it right. If your terrarium isn't too big, the casings themselves may generate the right humidity without any help from perlite. Just mess around and see what happens.

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #1052746 - 11/14/02 02:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hey, i got the tropic aire, i believe at your suggestion? anyway, i just set it up, and have not give it a real try yet. one thing, though, the "stone"/bubbler included in the kit seemed blocked or something, no airflow. so i bought a new stone from a pet shop, and now it bubbles a plenty. so, i assume there was in fact something wrong with the first bubbler, and that it is in fact supposed to bubble a lot (as it does with the replacement stone i got). can you confirm that? and please keep me posted  with any news on this. btw, it does have a very cool look to it :laugh: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Maintaing 85 to 92% humidity for casings? [Re: comario2]
    #1055495 - 11/15/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hei tripndicular, another q re:tropic aire: does it have to be set ON TOP of the terrarium to work? as in the pic you posted?

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1056440 - 11/15/02 04:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The Tropc Aire thing is slick. I saw pics of some that made something similar with the peroxide bottle. They drilled 2 holles in the cap for the lines to go in. One hole in the shoulder of the bottle for the outlet line. 10-1 H2O2-H2O

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies