Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

Casing Layer Questions *Update*
    #10552362 - 06/22/09 06:10 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

1- Here you see my late cased minitub.
If you look carefully, you can see mycelium appeared at the blank spaces between casing layer.
Pinnings appeared in 5 days after full colonization. And after 2 days, I applied casing layer (50/50 with gypsum&lime-pasteurized).2 days left after applying casing layer and mycelium appeared in casing layer.
So i worried about something's wrong. Is everything OK? Will more mushrooms will come from under casing layer?

2- These are normally cased tubs. Are they ready to put into fruiting conditions?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Carcass (06/30/09 11:32 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: Carcass]
    #10553265 - 06/22/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

First I'd get those early volunteers off your casing ASAP they're holding it back at the moment. I'd then recommend mist it down to near saturation and fruit it they'll come around. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: hyphae]
    #10553652 - 06/22/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Do what? How in the world are those 2-3 early pins "holding it back"..? I know your the resident casing/pinning strategist around these parts but I fail to see any logic in that assumption.. please explain? If the substrate needed further incubation or wished to dunk it before initiating pinning, then I would understand your advice.. but that sucker is ready to fruit! and those few pins will mature and form much larger fruit bodies. Waste not want not.. I also do not agree with people who state that you should pick ALL fruits even pins at the end of the flush.. erroneous nonsense lol

If I was you, I would increase FAE as well as humidity and allow it to recieve an hr or so of light a day. Many times I have had wonderful pinsets form after a few early risers popped up. If you follow Hyph's advice, make sure to clone those pins.. especially from the cluster

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #10555364 - 06/22/09 06:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koopa_troopa said:
Do what? How in the world are those 2-3 early pins "holding it back"..? I know your the resident casing/pinning strategist around these parts but I fail to see any logic in that assumption.. please explain? If the substrate needed further incubation or wished to dunk it before initiating pinning, then I would understand your advice.. but that sucker is ready to fruit! and those few pins will mature and form much larger fruit bodies. Waste not want not.. I also do not agree with people who state that you should pick ALL fruits even pins at the end of the flush.. erroneous nonsense lol

If I was you, I would increase FAE as well as humidity and allow it to recieve an hr or so of light a day. Many times I have had wonderful pinsets form after a few early risers popped up. If you follow Hyph's advice, make sure to clone those pins.. especially from the cluster

Not sure if you understand this but those are not pins those are developing fruits they are the ones putting the current demand on the substrates nutes the rest will wait until those are harvested. Once those early volunteers are pulled the first true flush will flush soon after. Over the years I've seen many who cannot grasp this concept not sure if it's greed and I mean that in a respectful waste not want not manner or ignorance times a wasting bro! It doesn't make any sense to spend time waiting for three shooms when you can have dozens! I certainly didn't see any clusters going on there book smart ya don't waste your time with those it's time to step up the ladder and grow through experience. There are many old saying representing this concept I particularly like "sacrifice a few to save the many"
I totally agree that definitely is ready to fruit and I also totally agree anyone who picks their casings clean after each flush pins included has no right cultivating mushrooms and they must have missed that first rung on the ladder! LOL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinejerrylove
little bit further then I was
 User Gallery

Loc: shakedown street
    #10555638 - 06/22/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

man there is all the good info here that you just dont get from the books. Now could one of you guys tell me which pins or how to clone the clusters. I WANT MORE CLUSTERS!:grin:

--------------------
:mushroom2:THOSE WHO KNOW DONT TALK!:mad:THOSE WHO DONT KNOW CANT TALK.:smile: (Timothy Leary):mushroom2:
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed they don't mean quit so much except you get hang out with your workin' friends" Les Claypool

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: jerrylove]
    #10555791 - 06/22/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You want clusters, clone from a cluster. Easy-peasy.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: Doc_T]
    #10555803 - 06/22/09 07:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
You want clusters, clone from a cluster. Easy-peasy.

Lemon Sqeasy

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: Doc_T]
    #10556343 - 06/22/09 09:12 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Damn, I wish I could find this pic I just saw earlier today.  Someone had cloned a mutant that was growing a fluffy white poof on its cap.  When the casing fruited, well over half the fruits had the same white poofy cap, lol.  Shoulda saved that pic.

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

Offlinejerrylove
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: Stealthgrower]
    #10560673 - 06/23/09 06:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok well should I clone from the base of the cluster or the stem of the largest fruit in the cluster?

--------------------
:mushroom2:THOSE WHO KNOW DONT TALK!:mad:THOSE WHO DONT KNOW CANT TALK.:smile: (Timothy Leary):mushroom2:
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed they don't mean quit so much except you get hang out with your workin' friends" Les Claypool

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10560726 - 06/23/09 06:12 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jerrylove said:
or the stem of the largest fruit in the cluster?

You got it!

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinejerrylove
 User Gallery

#10560776 - 06/23/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

OK cant wait to get that big fruit stem yummy! thank you for you awnser. Quick does cloning clusters usually result in grater yields?

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10561337 - 06/23/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jerrylove said:
OK cant wait to get that big fruit stem yummy! thank you for you awnser. Quick does cloning clusters usually result in grater yields?

It gives you a better chance at a more prolific pinset. Nothing absolute mind you and yes the more pins the higher the yield in most cases. Also beautiful tissue culture can be had from the caps this is where I prefer to take my samples just under the cuticle (pellicle)layer.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
    #10561375 - 06/23/09 08:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I took a clone from my last grow, got them started on my current grow. So far, I've seen a much more efficient yield per number of casings I have compared to my previous multispore. The pinsets were more even, the mushrooms were nice and juicy just like their mamma and pappa mushrooms! :grin: Also, it's much faster to knock up from an agar wedge than a spore syringe.
  GL
Myk

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: Mykologist]
    #10571897 - 06/25/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the clarification hyph.. didnt mean any disrespect.. I agree with your advice when the fruit bodies have passed the pinning stage.. I failed to magnify those pics so they appeared to be large pins which is why I believed they shouldnt be holding the sub back..

I have a sub ready to fruit right now.. Im going to experiment with som SACing (suplement at casing)! Many studies, esp from Penn state show great promise in this technique. Have you tried this Hyph??

Keep us updated on what you did and any pin set that follows carcass!

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

#10572232 - 06/25/09 04:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

these fruits sucks, i let them to be mature, because i need their spores immediately, but they didn't wanted to give it to me. The caps didn't opened fully. i just rip them out and now i'm waiting for my "true pinset"

among other things, next year i may be in penn state. haha.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10572327 - 06/25/09 05:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koopa_troopa said:
thanks for the clarification hyph.. didnt mean any disrespect.. I agree with your advice when the fruit bodies have passed the pinning stage.. I failed to magnify those pics so they appeared to be large pins which is why I believed they shouldnt be holding the sub back..

I have a sub ready to fruit right now.. Im going to experiment with som SACing (suplement at casing)! Many studies, esp from Penn state show great promise in this technique. Have you tried this Hyph??

Keep us updated on what you did and any pin set that follows carcass!

No dis taken friend,
No I haven't never really felt I needed to I guess. SixTango aka Mycota, Agar was the first to really promote this years ago when he was alive it was especially promising in later flush yields. Damn I miss him! RIP my friend! :peace:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: Carcass]
    #10572374 - 06/25/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Carcass said:
these fruits sucks, i let them to be mature, because i need their spores immediately, but they didn't wanted to give it to me. The caps didn't opened fully. i just rip them out and now i'm waiting for my "true pinset"

among other things, next year i may be in penn state. haha.

Just make sure you don't let your casing dry out keep it moist. Those early fruits were a result of an early breakthrough of the myc it should have been "patched" immediately to keep it from pinning and allowing the rest of the my to growth through the casing layer evenly not until then will you have your pinset. Read my pinning strategy several times it will all become crystal clear if not PM me with any questions. Many have told me they learn something new every time they read it. It has helped thousands over the years and it is really only comprised of the basics with some insight. To understand myc we must think like myc. GL :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10594775 - 06/29/09 09:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, I'd agree that patching could have stopped the earlier fruits as the amount of time an area is fully colonized and left without food to colonize, the earlier it's going to start to fruit... But looking at the pics, it appears that the fruits started at the gap between the substrate and the sides of the FC... you can't exactly patch theses areas... The environmental conditions at those points, combined with multiple other variables probably produced fruits earlier there.

I'm not exactly on board with the idea that those fruits are holding back the entire substrate from fruiting.. I don't think it works like that, but then again, I don't know this for a fact and I'm sure hyphae doesn't either... but to each their own.  I usually always had a few early birds and didn't pick them and the rest of the flush came soon after without me picking the early ones.  But opposition is always good in finding actual factual outcomes.  Biologically it doesn't make much sense to put all your eggs in one or two baskets and the substrate can't count on animals of any sort to pick it's early birds; domestically or in the wild... while it's definitely true that, usually, a substrate with fewer fruits will produce large fruit bodies, the substrate of the apparent size in the photos seems too large to only produce two or three extremely huge fruits; especially if the rest of the fruiting surface is in the right state for pinning and fruiting... this will increase the chances of survival... at least as the substrate is concerned.  At least that's how I see it... But like I said, I can't prove it either way.

Any updates on this, OP?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Layer Questions [Re: fahtster]
    #10596396 - 06/30/09 06:37 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fahtster said:
yeah, I'd agree that patching could have stopped the earlier fruits as the amount of time an area is fully colonized and left without food to colonize, the earlier it's going to start to fruit... But looking at the pics, it appears that the fruits started at the gap between the substrate and the sides of the FC... you can't exactly patch theses areas... The environmental conditions at those points, combined with multiple other variables probably produced fruits earlier there.

I'm not exactly on board with the idea that those fruits are holding back the entire substrate from fruiting.. I don't think it works like that, but then again, I don't know this for a fact and I'm sure hyphae doesn't either... but to each their own.  I usually always had a few early birds and didn't pick them and the rest of the flush came soon after without me picking the early ones.  But opposition is always good in finding actual factual outcomes.  Biologically it doesn't make much sense to put all your eggs in one or two baskets and the substrate can't count on animals of any sort to pick it's early birds; domestically or in the wild... while it's definitely true that, usually, a substrate with fewer fruits will produce large fruit bodies, the substrate of the apparent size in the photos seems too large to only produce two or three extremely huge fruits; especially if the rest of the fruiting surface is in the right state for pinning and fruiting... this will increase the chances of survival... at least as the substrate is concerned.  At least that's how I see it... But like I said, I can't prove it either way.

Any updates on this, OP?

I've seen it time and time again personally why do you think they call them flushes? Do you believe it takes energy to produce those pins? How about those maturing fruits think they use up much energy? Do you think the myceliums priority would be survival? So why wouldn't it prioritize the successful sporulation of those fruits? FYI once those fruits are gone would you think they're priority would be to send forth another flush to ensure the survival of the species?  Yes I am quite sure of the mechanisms involved. As far as those fruits they fruited there because there is a small space between the sides and the substrate where fresh air can penetrate easier as well as being an areas of higher moisture. It's all about spending energy wisely  GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

#10596855 - 06/30/09 09:33 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

**Update:

1) This is the picture of the first situation. These are early fruits in picture. I let them to be mature because of some reasons.

2) This picture is taken after early fruits have been harvested. I guess two days later after harvest.
You see two perceptible pins, one on the middle of the surface, the other one on the left side, near the bottom. And you can see smaller shrooms on the right corner. I didn't pick them, because when they appeared, I saw very little pins at different places. I guessed the pins will fruit in short time period, and let these biggies grow.
And the situation came to this:

<-picture X

3) So, in this case, I think the early fruits always slow down the others, especially pins. In three days, some very young mushrooms became mature, but pins just became a little older!

4) And these are the pins you can hardly see at the picture X.
These pics has taken the same day with picture X.

To hyphae, I'm thinking of picking all the early shrooms, until I get a homogeneous pinset, due to these results.

What are your opinions?

Thanks for helping, disscussing with so experienced and trustworthy growers is a honor for me.

Edited by Carcass (06/30/09 11:43 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom