Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars
    #10547456 - 06/21/09 01:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars

Ships from Miami steam into Jamaica's main harbor loaded with TV sets and blue jeans. But some of the most popular U.S. imports never appear on the manifests: handguns, rifles and bullets that stoke one of the world's highest murder rates.

The volume is much less than the flow of U.S. guns into Mexico that end up in the hands of drug cartels _ Jamaican authorities recover fewer than 1,000 firearms a year. But of those whose origin can be traced, 80 percent come from the U.S., Jamaican law enforcement officials have said in interviews with The Associated Press.

And as the Obama administration cracks down on smuggling into Mexico, Jamaicans fear even more firearms will reach the gangs whose turf wars plague the island of 2.8 million people.

"It's going to push a lot of that trade back toward the Caribbean like it was back in the '80s," said Vance Callender, an attache at the U.S. Embassy in Kingston for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

U.S. authorities are beginning to target the Jamaican gun-smuggling network as part of a broad effort to boost security in the Caribbean.

But they have a long way to go. Jamaican authorities have confiscated only 100 guns coming into ports in the last five years, along with 6,000 rounds of ammunition. That in turn is just a fraction of the 700 or so weapons confiscated on the streets each year.

Authorities know they're only seeing "the tip of the iceberg," said Mark Shields, Jamaica's deputy police commissioner.

With arsenals to rival police firepower, the gangs are blamed for 90 percent of the homicides in Jamaica _ 1,611 last year, about 10 times more than the U.S. rate, relative to population.

Unlike in Mexico, the vast majority of Jamaican guns seized are submitted for tracing. Jamaica and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives find most of the seized weapons come from three Florida counties _ Orange, Dade and Broward _ all with large Jamaican populations, according to Shields.

X-ray scanners were installed two years ago at Jamaican ports, but the gangs use bribery and intimidation to get their shipments past inspectors.

In April, a newly hired customs supervisor had his tires slashed and days later was shot at on his way home from work, authorities say. The man was known for his strict scrutiny of cargo coming into a gang-infiltrated warehouse on the Kingston wharf.

When the gangs apply pressure, "no one says no," said Danville Walker, Jamaica's commissioner of customs.

"It's a massive problem," said Leslie Green, a Jamaican assistant police commissioner. "There aren't any checks or any controls on goods leaving the United States. Yet anything leaving here, we have to make sure it's double-checked and tripled-checked for drugs."

This complaint _ that Americans care only what comes in, not what goes out _ echoes that of Mexican authorities, who say cars going from the U.S. into Mexico aren't searched for weapons or cash.

Now hundreds of agents are participating in a $95 million outbound inspection program, stopping suspicious-looking cars and trucks as they cross the border into Mexico. Authorities don't know how many firearms get through, but more than 12,000 guns used in crimes in Mexico last year were sent to U.S. authorities for tracing, a number that grows as more agencies in Mexico are trained to submit traces.

The U.S. and Jamaica both prohibit the unlicensed transport of guns. But like Mexican smugglers, Jamaican ones depend on lax U.S. gun laws, corrupt customs inspectors and front men acting as buyers.

Florida gun laws make it relatively easy to buy a legal firearm, and much of the smuggling is done by family and friends, said Shields, the Jamaican police official.

The guns are concealed in container loads of blue plastic and cardboard barrels, the kind Jamaicans use to send household goods to their families on the island.

Some shipping companies advertise a no-questions-asked policy in soliciting customers, said Walker, the customs commissioner. He declined to single out individual companies.

In one of the few Jamaican gun-smuggling cases prosecuted in the U.S., Tawanna Banton, 36, of Florida was convicted of buying a Glock handgun later used in the gang killings of four island police officers. She said her Jamaican boyfriend arranged the purchase, and she was paid $15,000 to buy the handgun and a .50 caliber "Grizzly" rifle with a tripod mount, according to court documents.

She told ATF agents the guns were then hidden inside kitchen appliances and driven to Miami for shipment to Kingston.

Banton pleaded guilty to making false statements to the gun dealer in 2006 and served a month in prison.

Besides coming in on freighters, authorities say, guns are stolen or purchased from crooked police or in "guns-for-ganja" deals by fishermen, who bring homegrown marijuana to nearby Haiti and return with pistols, revolvers and submachine guns _ many of them believed to be from the U.S. as well.

Callender's ICE unit began investigations in Jamaica last year with a focus on guns. He said agents in Miami and New York have been working to "interject themselves" into the shipping networks. Indictments are imminent in two or three cases involving suspected Jamaican traffickers inside the U.S., he said, without elaborating.

Then there's the $45 million Caribbean Basin Security Initiative on regional security, announced by U.S. President Barack Obama in April, which is designed to help the islands counter any spillover of violence from Mexico.

Meanwhile, at the ports, Jamaican customs officials are training more spotters to patrol the warehouses, including five in Kingston who process an average of 10 shipping containers daily.

But inspectors feel the odds are still stacked against them.

"The guys we're up against, they have time, they have money, and they are very resourceful," said Andrew Lamb, a supervisor with Jamaica customs' Contraband Enforcement Team. "They're pretty good at what they do."

June 21, 2009 10:36 AM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #10548376 - 06/21/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yay, more anti gun disinformation. We can't have people defending themselves now, or one of america's few industries left to continue to employ people. Oh no. Can't have that!

And can't have people looking into the real nature of Jamacian gang warfare. Nope, let's just close down american gun and ammo companies because no other country will supply them with guns and bullets, will they?

--------------------

Offlineborn907
Stranger
Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #10549047 - 06/21/09 06:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Paranoid much?

You're really arguing the position of doing nothing about the massive flow of guns to other countries outside of America? So your stance is that it is better for American gun & ammo companies to reap the blood money from gang wars then to try and address the problem.

Ignorance must be bliss for you.

--------------------
Don't look at me, I grow edible :mushroom2:

OfflineMchaggis
cawbstawmper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Bama Ghost Country Flag
Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: born907]
    #10549088 - 06/21/09 06:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

he's not ignorant, of course the US gov't and the gov't backed media sources want as much anti-gun sentiment floating around as possible, because what's easier to push around than an unarmed populace?

like before columbine all the gun violence happening with kids in the south was blamed on a so-called "Gun-culture of the South" and it had to happen in affluent, suburban middle America before anyone addressed the real problems behind gun violence in schools (bullying, class disparity, etc.)

Something drastic will have to happen before people realize the violence in Jamaica isn't caused by America's mass production of firearms, it's caused by poverty, disenfranchisement, etc.

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Mchaggis]
    #10549480 - 06/21/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mchaggis said:
he's not ignorant, of course the US gov't and the gov't backed media sources want as much anti-gun sentiment floating around as possible, because what's easier to push around than an unarmed populace?

omg the sky is falling

--------------------

InvisibleKlondike
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #10551533 - 06/22/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mchaggis said:

The fact that you are armed doesn't mean the government can't push you around. That may have been true back in the 18th century when all people had were muskets and cannons. But we now live in the age of nuclear warheads, fighter planes and suitcase bombs. If the government really decided it wanted to take the fight to you, your handgun wouldn't be of much help.

InvisibleKlondike
Male

#10551544 - 06/22/09 01:05 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

That notwithstanding, I love your name. From one displaced Scot to another.

OnlineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: born907]
    #10551579 - 06/22/09 01:11 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

born907 said:
Paranoid much?

You're really arguing the position of doing nothing about the massive flow of guns to other countries outside of America? So your stance is that it is better for American gun & ammo companies to reap the blood money from gang wars then to try and address the problem.

Ignorance must be bliss for you.

Who gives a fuck about whether the gangs off in another country are shooting each other with American weapons or not?

Give me one good reason why I should care what a bunch of poverty ridden gangbangers in a different country do to each other.

--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

InvisibleKlondike
Male

Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #10551795 - 06/22/09 01:55 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ima Trooper said:

Give me one good reason why I should care what a bunch of poverty ridden gangbangers in a different country do to each other.

Because the very same thing is happening in Mexico, with our guns fueling their drug wars. We are unwittingly arming their militias which is destabilizing the country, and if the Mexican government goes down it will result in a flood of illegals in this country, a flood of drugs and violence spilling over the border, a wave of kidnappings for ransom in America, and other assorted chaos.

OnlineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Klondike]
    #10551819 - 06/22/09 01:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Klondike said:
Quote:

Ima Trooper said:

Because the very same thing is happening in Mexico, with our guns fueling their drug wars. We are unwittingly arming their militias which is destabilizing the country, and if the Mexican government goes down it will result in a flood of illegals in this country, a flood of drugs and violence spilling over the border, a wave of kidnappings for ransom in America, and other assorted chaos.

This was about Jamaica, not Mexico.

And about Mexico, if we can't protect our borders, then we have a problem. That has nothing to do with guns.

--------------------

deCypher said:

Offlinewalzmanm
Living, not merely existing
Male User Gallery

#10551842 - 06/22/09 02:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I wonder what Jamaican gangs are fueled by... illegal drugs maybe?

Let's address the real problem here, don't blame gun freedom, blame drug control.

--------------------

OfflineInSane804
Cocaine Distributer
Male

#10551843 - 06/22/09 02:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

What about our gang problems? Deal with USA b4 we care about other countries which is why were in the mess in iraq and afgan and soon to be in it with iran or korea... We got crips, bloods Vl's GD nation People nation... Lk's MM MS13 all in our country and thats just the main branches.. Forget about the carib..  Go tell the crips down my block to stop selling crack and shooting at the police with our "american guns"

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #10551844 - 06/22/09 02:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Klondike said:
Quote:

Ima Trooper said:

thank the democrats for the lax border policies, if I were
president I'd promise a 20 foot wall an landmines along the border

if I were president, I deliver a wall, mines and machine guns,
guard towers, napalm, surface/surface missiles and open season
on everyone not crossing at a border checkpoint with no criminal
consequences

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Jamaican culture not responsible for Jamaica's gang wars [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #10551847 - 06/22/09 02:04 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yea, Im convinced.  :rolleyes:

OnlineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Re: Jamaican culture not responsible for Jamaica's gang wars [Re: DieCommie]
    #10551858 - 06/22/09 02:08 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This is going to devolve into another gun control thread, isn't it? :nonono:

--------------------

deCypher said:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #10551863 - 06/22/09 02:08 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
if I were president I'd promise a 20 foot wall an landmines along the border

if I were president, I deliver a wall, mines and machine guns,
guard towers, napalm, surface/surface missiles and open season
on everyone not crossing at a border checkpoint with no criminal
consequences

Sounds like a big gubment project.  You ain't gettin' my tax dollars! *shakes fist*

--------------------

OfflineInSane804
Cocaine Distributer
Male

Re: Jamaican culture not responsible for Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #10551865 - 06/22/09 02:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yea prob but we all know that obama is gonna take our 11+ round clips, makle body armor illegal and take away assault rifles but I have all I need so fuck you democrats

--------------------

OnlineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Re: Jamaican culture not responsible for Jamaica's gang wars [Re: InSane804]
    #10551870 - 06/22/09 02:10 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

damn not having money. I just know I should stock up on assault rifles and ammo, but have NO money.:crankey:

--------------------

deCypher said:

OfflineInSane804
Cocaine Distributer
Male

Re: Jamaican culture not responsible for Jamaica's gang wars [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #10551884 - 06/22/09 02:14 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well go to walmart buy a ruger 10/22 turn it automatic...

wont cost u more than 129.99

then go to a gun store and buy a 50 rd clip for 14$ :smile: And you can purchase a folding stock tactical grip etc for around 40 bucks so in the end you will have an 22.automatic pistol grip sk look alike

--------------------

OnlineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Re: Jamaican culture not responsible for Jamaica's gang wars [Re: InSane804]
    #10551896 - 06/22/09 02:22 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

No, I mean I don't have any money. lol hopefully that will be changing soon though.:strokebeard:

--------------------

deCypher said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds