Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #10588093 - 06/28/09 06:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I looked around that site and only thing I found was anywhere from 400-1000 bucks.

Thats way out of my budget. I'm lookin for like 1-200 bucks tops for the blower.

I'm trying to get more info out of the guy selling the Ecoplus 800 blower but I'm just shocked I can't find any info on it.

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10588295 - 06/28/09 07:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ok well I'm taking my chances.

I got this blower and this filter.

Hopefully with a controller I can find the sweet spot for laminar flow. Now I need to figure out how to design the box without fuckin it up. I'm not much when it comes to carpentry  :jah:

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10588321 - 06/28/09 07:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I do have a question about the setup of the box that houses the filter/blower.

I've heard that a "plenum" is important but don't know exactly what that means?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10589259 - 06/28/09 10:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The plenum is the air space behind the filter.  It's the space that is pressurized with static pressure to provide uniform pressure on the back side of the filter,  thus providing the same flow rate across the entire front surface of the filter, which is what's meant by laminar flow.

Look for around 400 cfm @ 1" or so for that filter.  Your link doesn't show what blower you bought.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10589309 - 06/28/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Look for around 400 cfm @ 1" or so for that filter

You told me 800 yesterday :crazy2:

The blower is an "Ecoplus 800 CFM" I'm guessing with a prefilter and motor controller I should still be able to tone it down for laminar flow.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10589403 - 06/28/09 10:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

You told me 800 yesterday :crazy2:

Oh, if it's that same filter with almost no resistance, that would be OK.  Most filters are rated at 1" WG, and that one was something like .2 inches, which I doubted would give laminar flow.  Just get a speed controller and adjust it so it bends the flame of a bic lighter over 45 to 90 degrees, but doesn't flicker or blow it out and you'll be fine.  What you're looking for is 100 to 150 feet per minute of flow coming out the front of the filter.  For a 4 square foot filter, that would be 400 to 600 CFM, depending on static pressure.  It's kind of hard to calculate when you don't know the capacity of the blower you ordered.  Hopefully, it will do the trick.  800 CFM with no static pressure rating doesn't really tell you much.  A car with a blown engine can still go 70 mph down hill.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10589467 - 06/28/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hahaha I love the analogy man.

Anyways, ya it is the same filter. I was trying to get the resistance from the guy cause it's on the sticker I just can't read the number. I think it's .4 or something.

I wish I could find the tech specs on the blower but all my searching for Ecoplus 800 CFM Blowers didn't result in much.

Thanks again for all your advice in this thread. I'd have been totally lost without it.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10608606 - 07/02/09 08:34 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Rog I should have taken your advice on the blower. The one I got from ebay was fucked up so I sent it back.

So I'm going to a local hydroponics store today to look at thier blowers. They have both centrifugal and squirrel cage models. Is one prefered over the other type when it comes to building a flowhood? I know both will work but is there a preferance?

So I'm going to look for a 400-600 CFM Blower @ 1" SP correct? They also sell solid state speed controls for $25 so I might pick one up if I go at the higher end of that CFM spectrum.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10608623 - 07/02/09 08:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Squirrel cage.  They can develop and hold static pressure much better.  Yes, 400 to 600 cfm@1" is what you want for a 4 square foot filter.  Most hydro shops will have dayton brand, which seems to hold up well.  They'll cost more than on ebay, but that's what you get for not dealing with crooks.

If you have a business license, you can get them at wholesale price directly from grainger.  They have stores in most cities.

Make sure the speed controller is rated to handle the amps @ full load of the motor.  Check the nameplate ratings of both to make sure they're an OK match.  Full load amps on the motor plate will be stamped after the letters FLA.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10608637 - 07/02/09 08:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Rog, you the man. The store I'm going to sells "Active Air" blowers. I'll be sure to checkout all the specs in full before I make the purchase. Can't wait to get building this badboy. Now I need to find a lightweight plywood so the box doesn't weigh an asston.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10608658 - 07/02/09 08:50 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well the squirrel blower they have is 465 CFM, so if that is at 1" SP, then I'm not going to need a speed controller.

I'm kind of concerned actually if that will be enough airflow still after I add a prefilter?

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10631537 - 07/06/09 05:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I've been searching every hydroponics site I can find to find a 500-600 CFM blower and none of em have anything above the 465 model.

I know you told me 400-600 Roger but I'm worried the prefilter would lower the flow enough to not give me laminar, so I wanted to aim for a 500-600 since I can lower the output but can't increase it.

If anyone can find me a 500-600 CFM blower @ 1" static pressure for 100-200 bucks, I'd greatly appreciate any links!

I forgot to add, I'm looking for squirrel cage blowers. Not centrifugal or in line.

*EDIT* Found one! here but it doesn't give the rated pressure... :rolleyes:

--------------------

Edited by Lucid_Euphoria (07/06/09 05:40 PM)

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#10631573 - 07/06/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: mister]
    #10631583 - 07/06/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have a 4 square foot filter though. Not to be rude but as stated above, I'm looking for a 500-600 CFM, I've seen that same blower on a dozen sites, I'm just looking for something with a little more airflow.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10631608 - 07/06/09 05:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains