Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Blower/Filter question for Flowhood
    #10541933 - 06/20/09 10:19 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I found a good deal on a blower for my flowhood project, but it is a 800 CFM blower. I will be getting the 12 x 24 x 5-7/8 inch wood frame filter from here.

Is the 800 CFM going to be far too much airflow? I know I can inhibit it some by using a thick prefilter on the intake. This is one of the only affordable blowers I can find that is at least 550+ CFM. I've seen a bunch of like 465 cfm, but that isn't enough for the filter I don't think. So I figured I'd go over as opposed to under since I can inhibit the CFM a bit.

What you all think? Should I bite on the 800 CFM blower?

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #10542027 - 06/20/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Too much.  In fact, 465 cfm is too much.  For a 12 X 24 filter, you want a blower of >200 cfm @ 1", and <300 cfm @ 1" static pressure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10542056 - 06/20/09 10:53 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well what the hell. How was I so far off. The guy and fungiperfecti said I needed like 550.

In fact all the threads and such I've looked through, it seemed like everyone was using 500ish CFM blowers.

Maybe I should just build a bigger hood :cool:

edit: Well strike that, the filter for a 3'x 2' is like double the cost. Goddamn expensive those things are!

Ok well I guess I'll stick with the 2' x 1' hood. At least it isn't gonna cost me as much as I thought.

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Edited by Lucid_Euphoria (06/20/09 10:54 AM)

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10542094 - 06/20/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Damion used a 565 cfm blower on his build here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9802948

With the same filter I was looking at.

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10554064 - 06/22/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'd like some more clarification on how to determine how many CFM is required for laminar flow through a given filter.

I want to make a purchase possibly tonight on a blower that is on auction, but I don't want to get one that isn't sufficient for laminar flow.

RR, I know you told me I only need between 200 and 300, but that seems really low compared to what everyone else uses that I've read, with comparable filters.

I'd just hate to waste 50-100 bucks on a blower that doesn't do what I need it to.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10554133 - 06/22/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I gave you the correct figure above. 

CFM is 'cubic feet per minute'.  A two square foot filter (12 X 24") would need 200 cfm to deliver 100 feet per minute of air speed in a perfect world with no losses.  However, since there ARE losses and the world isn't perfect, shoot for a little over 200 cfm, but less than 300 cfm.  If there's no static pressure rating to go along with the cfm figure, consider it at zero static pressure and not valid for your use.  You want a 200 cfm to 300 cfm blower @ .8" to 1.1" of static pressure.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10554164 - 06/22/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ok thanks for clarifying that man. I actually think I'm going to get a larger filter.

I found a 24" x 48" filter that I'm thinking about getting because it's priced pretty well I think.

The filter description reads: "Module has been scan tested after assembly to meet 99.99% efficiency, rated 720 CFM flow at 0.50 inches H2O."

Does that mean I would need ~1000 CFM @ 1" static pressure?

--------------------

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#10554352 - 06/22/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I bought a 465 cfm, but also put on a pre filter as well.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: mister]
    #10554372 - 06/22/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

What size filter did you get Mister?

I'm probably going to go with a 24 x 12" and get a 330 CFM blower & add prefilter

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10554393 - 06/22/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I was looking at this  blower, but its rated 325 CFM at 0 static pressure, so I don't think that would be enough actually.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10554430 - 06/22/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Unless they give a figure at .8" to 1.1" of static pressure, ignore it.  A 330 cfm blower at zero static pressure might produce next to nothing when confronted with an 11" thick filter to penetrate.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#10554469 - 06/22/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

24 x 12" from Fungi Perfecti

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Blower/Filter question for Flowhood [Re: mister]
    #10583446 - 06/27/09 08:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Could you all tell me if  this filter would be suitable?

Edit: Here is a link to the pdf of the filter

I'm curious if I'd need more than a 12" height on my hood though since it doesn't seem like anything would be up that high?
Maybe I should try to find a 36" x 12" instead? Giving me more horizontal work area?
Advice from experienced hood users on working in a 24" area welcome.

Also, how much output of a blower would I be looking at for that?
I'm trying to find what its rated at for 1" but haven't seen anything yet. The advertisement said 1000 CFM, I'm guessing that is at zero pressure though by the size of the filter?

--------------------

Edited by Lucid_Euphoria (06/27/09 08:45 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10583876 - 06/27/09 10:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That pdf covers several different filters, so select the one you want and look at the specs.  They give flow at 1" and 1.4" of static pressure on the few I looked at.  They should work.  I use a 12 X 24 currently, but when I get my commercial operation up and going, I'm going to use it only for lab stuff, and build a 24 X 48 for large filter patch bags of supplemented sawdust.  Everything in my video was done using the 12 X 24, so it's plenty big for hobby and small scale commercial work.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10583889 - 06/27/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for yer input Rog

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10583952 - 06/27/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

OK I'm horrible when it comes to math so could you explain how many CFM I need on my blower if the filter is rated: 260 FPM @ 1.0" wg?

It's not rated in CFM which I thought odd but anyhow I suck for not being able to figure this out.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10584141 - 06/27/09 11:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

FPM refers to 'feet per minute', which is a measure of the speed of the air leaving your filter.  You want 100 to 150 feet per minute at 1" static pressure to get good laminar flow.  If it gave a FPM figure instead of a CFM, the curve might or might not be linear.  I looked at that pdf you posted earlier, and it looks like the flow you would want on a 24 X 24 is achieved at a bit under .5" static pressure, which may or may not give true laminar flow.  Stacking a couple of prefilters in front of the HEPA might help.

To answer your question, assuming a 24 X 24 filter, 260 FPM would translate into 1040 CFM @ 1". (260 X 4 square feet) If you select that filter, I'd go with a smaller blower and get a motor speed controller so you can throttle it down if necessary.  Look for around 800 CFM @ 1".
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10584168 - 06/27/09 11:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds about right, the advertisement stated it to be 1000 CFM.

There is a sticker on it that reads:

Resistance .4 IN W.G. (looks like .4 anyways, hard to make out, going to inquire to confirm)

Test Flow: 1000 CFM

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10587903 - 06/28/09 06:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

RR how much is a motor speed controller going to run me?

I can't even get the electrical info from the guy selling the blower. All I know is it's an Ecoplus 800 CFM, I've searched and searched but I can't find any technical specs on the model. Can't even find the companies website.

Trying to figure this all out so I can go head and order the filter/fan/controller, and start working on the box design.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10588015 - 06/28/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Don't order a motor with no info on it. If the guy can't read you the data plate or send a picture of it, screw him. CFM means nothing unless it's accompanied by static pressure info.

Go to grainger.com, find the blower you want and order it.  Get a speed control from here.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order