Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Microscope, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Lepiota rhacodes
    #1053361 - 11/14/02 07:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah so last year at about this time I came across so Lepiota rhachodes growing in a church yard beneath a tree heavily muched with grass. I isolate pure cultures and eventually colonized some rye spawn in the spring. They grow very slowly in culture and on grain. Eventually the spawn was ready. I went back to the church yard and inoculated other mulched trees in the yard (under ones where there were no sporocarps last year). A seasons waiting shows fruiting in atleast on of the inoculated sites,. Cool. I took spore prints. Of course I have no way of know if the mushrooms sprouted from inoculations or from natural spore drift. Who's to say? Cool anyway.
I read that they like decaying grass (probably not fresh) and leaf litter. I imagine thay they like the presence of the bacteria in those, they are hard to fruit in controlled conditions.

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: Lepiota rhacodes [Re: r05c03]
    #1053510 - 11/14/02 08:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thanks fer the stroy.
when i find them in grass piles i often wonder, but then i eat them.
i should culture some too.  are you sure they are dependent on stuff in the grass?
why wouldn't you have innoculated some grass clippings, like, in yer backyard? :laugh: 

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: Lepiota rhacodes [Re: viscid]
    #1053632 - 11/14/02 09:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

For one, I think that they like a few months worth of decomposition on the grass, also, at the time I did not have room to put a big pile of rotting grass on the the north side of my house where it was likely to stay most amenable to fruiting. I might this year, but I do not know. The guy at the church yard does all the work for me, and his grass piles are properly aged so I figure fuckit.

I am not sure on the them NEEDING other organisms, but I have only seen them sold as outside patches, and they are slowing growing (atleast on agar and spawn). Other edibles with these characteristics generally due better in material that has some other kinds of microbial activity, such as Stropaharia annulata-rugosa. So, really I am just drawing parallels with no real knowledge......Just theory.

--------------------

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1066562 - 11/19/02 04:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

when you say they are slow growing on agar and spawn, do you imply that this is your experience?

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: Lepiota rhacodes [Re: viscid]
    #1070846 - 11/20/02 06:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yep. Six month past before they colonize the plates I am using. Had to use liquid inoc. to get it going well ans it still took months. I started over the winter tho so it was good to grow in spring.

--------------------

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
    #1596955 - 05/31/03 10:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I walked by the chruch yard yesterday and I will be damned if there were not more M. rhacodes fruiting. I am thinking that they are for sure from the inoculations I did. I think this mainly because usually they only fruit in the fall and there has to ne alot of fungal mass to get out of season fruiting, and there should be a fair amount of fungal mass in places where you inoculate them. At any rate some nice sized specimens are sitting in the fridge waiting for the next meal. I was going to take a spore print on foil and make some available to you fine people but when I got home I had no fucking foil and I had to print it on large microscope slide, which, unfortunately do not divide up that nicely. I am thinking of starting a multispore culture with the spores I just collected and the ones that Anno sent me to try to get some hybrid vigour going. I think multispore is the way to go with these slow growing, litter decomposers. At any rate, thanks for listening.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Microscope, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms