Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleM11
White Thumb

New to the boards... I have a few general questions...
    #10531901 - 06/18/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hello,

I have recently taken interest into growing some of my own shrooms, partially because they are unavailable in my area and partially because it seems like a lot of fun.

Anyway, I have done quite a bit of research, but since this is my first ever attempt, I am going to go with the PFTek method.  I plan on using 10 1 quart jars for my first run.  I received my spore syringes today.  I got them from the Sporeworks, which is an excellent company.  I purchased the Golden Teacher and Ecuador strains and I received some Burma for free.  I am quite pleased. 

And on with the questions...

1.  Before injecting the sterilized jars and substrate with my spore solution, should I gently shake the syringe to mix up the black bunched up material? 

2.  I plan on using the "shot-gun" set up for my terrarium.  I will place it in a closet.  Should I run a fan in the closet to increase air exchange? 

3.  I plan on using a 45-60 W 5000-6000k CFL.  If the terrarium is clear with a relatively clear lid, could the CFL remain outside of the terrarium and still provide enough light?

4.  How should I sterilize the extra vermiculite that is placed on top of the substrate in order to prevent contamination when inoculating? 

5.  How often do you experienced shroom growers "mist" your terrarium?  The "shot-gun" setup is designed to maximize humidity and air exchange, but about how often will misting be required if the average humidity in my home ranges from about 40-50% during this time of year?

6.  Exactly how resistant is a fully colonized substrate to contaminants?  Are obsessive sterilization techniques still required at this time? 

7.  Do you think 1 quart jars are a good idea for a first time grower?  I am pretty sure that 1/2 quart jars will colonize faster and therefore prevent possible contamination.  I would prefer the larger jars because I would like to maximize yield, but which would be best?

8.  Could I use a food dehydrator to dry out the shrooms once they are finished?  It does use some heat when drying.

Thanks you guys.  I really look forward to doing this with your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushyMan420
Mush Dr.
Male User Gallery

Re: New to the boards... I have a few general questions... [Re: M11]
    #10531973 - 06/18/09 06:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

1)yea
2)i would but don't run it 24/7
3)yes
4)oven on a sheet. oven on 450 for 30 mins to 1 hr. let cool in oven
5)aleast 2 times a day i would do more
6)damn good for the most part
7)sure why not just make sure u have wide mouth jars
8)yes

hope that helps

--------------------

"I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown." - Jim Morrison

"This is the strangest life I've ever known." - Jim Morrison

"Drugs are a bet with the mind." - Jim Morrison

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: New to the boards... I have a few general questions... [Re: MushyMan420]
    #10531991 - 06/18/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Mushy Man.  I appreciate it. 

Does Walmart have 1 quart wide mouthed jars?

Offlinechronosync
kicked the habit. shed my skin.

#10532001 - 06/18/09 06:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

-good luck

OfflineMushyMan420
Mush Dr.
Male User Gallery

#10532007 - 06/18/09 06:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

mine does. Also Fred's has them for cheaper then walmart

--------------------

"I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown." - Jim Morrison

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#10532018 - 06/18/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

walmart = apocalypse

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10532039 - 06/18/09 06:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

M11 said:
7.  Do you think 1 quart jars are a good idea for a first time grower? 

Absolutely not. Use widemouth half pints as shown in the videos.

Edit - that's for PF Tek. Quart jars are ok for grains.. Either way, ACE Hardware has whatever jars you want.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
    #10532061 - 06/18/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

1.yes
2. closets are not a good place to put them unless you really have no other choice
if you do run a fan than do not have it directly blowing into the FC or it will dry out
3. it shouldnt be a problem if the top is clear it may block some of the light also remember the light even if its cool will dry out the chamber a little quicker so make sure you mist
4. you put the dry layer on top of the sub in the jar b4 you sterilize them
5. when i did a shotgun once i was very lazy and would mist like 2 times a day
its recommended you do it 3 or more and fan right after misting
6. fully colonized shouldnt be to bad unless the myc becomes weak or dies and it taken over
7. your best bet is half pints and make sure they are widemouth if you can't find those use the i think 4oz ones because they are wider than they are tall
quart jars are only for grains because they can be shaken and colonize a lot quicker
8. i use 2 dehydrators that are pretty cheap one that uses convection and the other had a fan so far i havnt noticed any problems with loss of potency and neither have any of my friends

your biggest problem is the size of your jars, the big ones are more likely to stall or just take forever. infact the surface area ratio to volume is a lot better in a smaller cake. btw stay away from regular mouth jars they suck even with grain they just make stuff too complicated. if you are trying to increase your yield try using the pf cakes and spawning them to a bigger substrate. i assume you are doing the pf because you dont have a large pressure cooker?

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

OfflineMushyMan420
Mush Dr.
Male User Gallery

#10532081 - 06/18/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

mine does. Also Fred's has them for cheaper then walmart

--------------------

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: New to the boards... I have a few general questions... [Re: MushyMan420]
    #10532126 - 06/18/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

1/2 pint wide-mouth jars it is then...

Offlinecdnshroom
Music Will Set Us Free

#10532176 - 06/18/09 06:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

1.  Before injecting the sterilized jars and substrate with my spore solution, should I gently shake the syringe to mix up the black bunched up material?  Yes

2.  I plan on using the "shot-gun" set up for my terrarium.  I will place it in a closet.  Should I run a fan in the closet to increase air exchange? 

No, if the shotgun terrarium is built to spec, it should provide its own air flow. I would recommend having it sit on 4 shot glass's or something just to prop it off the ground a little so air can get in under neath.

3.  I plan on using a 45-60 W 5000-6000k CFL.  If the terrarium is clear with a relatively clear lid, could the CFL remain outside of the terrarium and still provide enough light?

Seems sufficient enough to me, but Others may have a better answer

4.  How should I sterilize the extra vermiculite that is placed on top of the substrate in order to prevent contamination when inoculating?

You don't need to, the vermiculite on top of the mixed brf/verm is all pressure cooked in jar at same time, that is where the sterilization takes places.

5.  How often do you experienced shroom growers "mist" your terrarium?  The "shot-gun" setup is designed to maximize humidity and air exchange, but about how often will misting be required if the average humidity in my home ranges from about 40-50% during this time of year?

Someone else would be able to answer this one better then me

6.  Exactly how resistant is a fully colonized substrate to contaminants?  Are obsessive sterilization techniques still required at this time?

From what I have read and experience, once the substrate is fully colonized, obsesseve sterilization techniques are not required. It is pretty safe to have them in open air while placing them in the shot gun fruiting chamber, and rinsing them off.

7.  Do you think 1 quart jars are a good idea for a first time grower?  I am pretty sure that 1/2 quart jars will colonize faster and therefore prevent possible contamination.  I would prefer the larger jars because I would like to maximize yield, but which would be best?

If your doing brf, stick to 1/2's, first time, follow the pf tek to a t.

8.  Could I use a food dehydrator to dry out the shrooms once they are finished?  It does use some heat when drying.

I have seen on here lots of people do that, i simply put them in front of a fan on paper towel for 24 hours, or a little less sometimes, and then throw them in a bucket with some type if desiccant, i use 100% silica gel kitty litter, it works great.

--------------------
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
I'm a full-fledged music junkie......rehab is not an option.

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: New to the boards... I have a few general questions... [Re: cdnshroom]
    #10581057 - 06/27/09 10:08 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hello,

I loaded and sterilized my jars last night, but I realized something half way through the boiling process.  I forgot to put the tin foil on!  I couldn't believe it. I then added tin foil to ensure that the heavy condensation didn't drip on the jars.  I had the needle holes taped over.  Also, the two piece lid, which had taped needle holes, helped hold the two pieces together as one.  After I realized my mistake, I check on one of the jars to see if the dry part of the vermiculite become wet due to the dripping condensation, but it still seemed very dry, just steamed.  Also, there wasn't any extra water or pooled water at the bottom of the jar when I examined the one.

Do you think I should restart my jars or do you think I will be ok as far as inoculating goes?  I just don't want the water balance to be off.

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10581119 - 06/27/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Do you think I should restart my jars or do you think I will be ok as far as inoculating goes?  I just don't want the water balance to be off.

nan, unless you can visably see extra water build up in the jars.

You probably be ok. if in doubt knock up one test jar, wait to see growth and do the rest.

remember dont leave foil on jars while incubating them.

dont shanke or flip jars at all as it messes up your dry verm layer.

I like to put micropore over the holes just to be super safe.

--------------------

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: New to the boards... I have a few general questions... [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10581521 - 06/27/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Do you think it would be wise to have the lids a little loose during incubation to make sure they aren't too wet from the lack of tin foil?  They don't appear to be holding any extra moisture, but they could be I guess.

InvisiblePolk_Audio3
Moon Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
    #10581535 - 06/27/09 12:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ace Hardware has free shipping best deals around :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10581660 - 06/27/09 01:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

M11 said:
Do you think it would be wise to have the lids a little loose during incubation to make sure they aren't too wet from the lack of tin foil?  They don't appear to be holding any extra moisture, but they could be I guess.

Besides that question, just one left for now...

Should they be incubated with indirect sunlight or darkness?
  I have read a few of the guides and they seem to disagree with this part

--------------------
Of course, then there's the problem of eating vermiculite. On the bright side, it makes your poop and teeth glitter.  Just pretend it's christmas.
-RR

Those mushrooms are fine.  Your friend is a pussy.
-RR

Outdoor Patch

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10602883 - 07/01/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I have been exerting my patience.  I have the jars in the dark for now.  The lids are tight and the inoc holes have been covered with micropore tape.  Is this proper procedure?  It is hard for me to tell what to do, because there are so many different people with their own way of doing things.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10602895 - 07/01/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Lids tight, micropore tape, good.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: New to the boards... I have a few general questions... [Re: Doc_T]
    #10615781 - 07/03/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well they germinated!  At least a few of my ten jars have germinated.  I have noticed little, white cotton ball like growths.  It was so cool.  I checked them and I noticed a tiny white spec; it could have passed as BRF caked verm.  I looked again 12 hours later and the growth was the size of about a nickel! 

Anyway, will the jars still colonize even if all four injection sites don't necessarily have spores germinate?  I guess it would take longer to colonize, but they still will colonize. 

It took about 3-4 days for the spores to germinate in the jars I have.  Hopefully, more will germinate.

Offlinejtb
Tae

#10616220 - 07/03/09 02:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

About misting:

Fan, then mist.  not the other way around.  it won't hurt to do it the other way around but in my assessment fanning first will remove more of the co2.  if you mist then fan some the water could trap some of it or make it harder for the co2 to blow away.  this is a pretty minute detail but i think its worth mentioning!

and it doesn't really matter if they colonize in the dark or not... maybe.  one could argue that as light is a pinning trigger then it is best to keep them in the dark so when they are ready to fruit they will have more growing momentum - they will be exposed to long durations of light for the very first time as opposed to already being in the light while colonizing.  being in light during colonization could possibly reduce the power of light as a pinning trigger.  yea that's a confusing statement.  anyways,  that is just an idea im throwing out there though i don't know if it makes any difference or not - i would actually be interested in hearing somebody who is more knowledgeable procure an opinion about this.

and as to your last question, it only takes one inoculation point to start colonizing for the whole jar to eventually colonize.

Edited by jtb (07/03/09 02:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom