Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Think a Norfolk Pine will grow back if topped?
    #10527288 - 06/18/09 07:25 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, let me pick your brain shroomery.  There is a Norfolk Pine in my greenhouse that is 35 years old, and essentially a family heirloom.  It is way too tall, not growing straight, and is in the way of EVERYTHING.  Since it does not grow straight, I want to repot it so that it grows perpendicular, and top it so it is shorter and more manageable.  Unfortunately, topping it to the ideal height would mean... cutting off all it's limbs as well.  Being that Norfolk Island pines are finicky anyway, I fear that it might not survive topping, like any sort of normal plant.  If it were my plant, I'd take lop it off and take my chances.  But, I can't allow this plant to die, for reasons that are really complicated. 

I've also thought about trying to take a cutting... and root it... or something. I don't know how the hell one propagates pine trees.  I'm sure I have a book or something on it somewhere.  I mean, that's like a loophole right? If I kill this stupid thing, but make a successful clone of it beforehand, it's not really dead right?

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Think a Norfolk Pine will grow back if topped? [Re: Horticulture]
    #10528095 - 06/18/09 10:04 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i think it will be fine.

and judging by the advice given on this forum it will not die if you top it.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Invisiblekarode13MFacebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #10528191 - 06/18/09 10:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Cutting the top off will not kill a Norfolk Island Pine, but it will deform its appearance. After taking out the Apical leader, another one will grow to replace it. This new leader will be off-set slightly to the original giving the top a kink when established. Multiple pruning of the Apical leader(Top) would probably result in poor plant health and/or death.

Taking a cutting will not work, you need to germinate by seed. Norfolk Island Pines produce a cone, that once ripens explodes violently into many small scale-like capsules that contain the seed. I have had these in my back yard when I lived in a beach house in New Zealand and you can hear them pop :smile2:

Can you not put it outside? So long as it does not snow where you are or have full on frosts it should be ok. Once topped these trees never look the same again :shake:

--------------------

InvisibleUrb
OTD Exterminator
Male User Gallery

Loc: WhoDat Nation
    #10530047 - 06/18/09 09:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Cutting off all of its limbs? keep in mind that conifers don't generate new growth from a wound like a broad leaf would.  Any cuts you make will be made for a considerable amount of time.  You should never remove more than 25-30% of the total leaf area at once. 

I'd say most definitely it will die , should you remove all of the limbs.  If it doesn't , it still wouldn't be worth having.

--------------------
Texas Honey Badger said:
I went to boys town in Nuevo Laredo when I was in my early ‘30s
There was a bunch of trannys even way back then
I paid probably $20 but I was so drunk I couldn’t get a hard on:faded:
That was a shitshow and cured me from ever going to a whore house again:crankey:

quote]Fiery said:
I wish I was a young sexy woman so I could have awesome sexy adventures all the time[/quote]

InvisibleUrb
OTD Exterminator
Male User Gallery

Loc: WhoDat Nation
Re: Think a Norfolk Pine will grow back if topped? [Re: Urb]
    #10544223 - 06/21/09 04:50 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Curious as to what you decided?

--------------------
Texas Honey Badger said:
I went to boys town in Nuevo Laredo when I was in my early ‘30s
There was a bunch of trannys even way back then
I paid probably $20 but I was so drunk I couldn’t get a hard on:faded:
That was a shitshow and cured me from ever going to a whore house again:crankey:

quote]Fiery said:
I wish I was a young sexy woman so I could have awesome sexy adventures all the time[/quote]

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Think a Norfolk Pine will grow back if topped? [Re: Urb]
    #10554253 - 06/23/09 12:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I decided I'm going to leave it for now, and wait to make a decision until August or September (everything I've read says that they respond best to cutting in late summer).  I'm leaning towards not cutting it and bracing it somehow so it's not so top heavy.  I'll just have to get more creative with how I use my greenhouse space (I find myself saying this every year).

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains