Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
2nd flush casing?
    #1052650 - 11/14/02 03:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

any advantages or disadvantages to taking the casing out of its container and just leaving it on a plate in the terr. after the first flush? I used perlite for the bottom layer in the casing and now can see a slight amount of mold growing on the bottom and was going to replace the perlite with new perlite and clean out the bottom but then thought it would just be easier to leave it out. Then I could get some shrooms off the side as well.

Edited by abraham (11/14/02 04:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Floyd Fan

Loc: super imposed onto dark s...
Re: 2nd flush casing? [Re: abraham]
    #1052860 - 11/14/02 05:02 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I read not to use perlite in casings because there would be to much moister and u would get brown pits and black slime"bacteria" on your fruit bodies. Did that happen and also if u dont mind what was the recipe u used for your casing. Im a fisrt timer and after I get one flush off my cake im going to case it in a milk jug with the top cut off "3" deep" with equal parts of vermiculite, peat moss, and oyster shells" then what? put it in the dark for a few days at75 degrees and 75%humidity then to the terrarium? Help if u can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks

This land is my land....and this sand is my sand.....and this band is my band....Ohhh the lonely boys "Roger Waters" Towers Of Faith

Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: 2nd flush casing? [Re: MOE.shrooms]
    #1052906 - 11/14/02 05:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

when u cramble a cake in order to case it, u incubate it a little afterwards. This means you have to put it for a few days [it depends] in a dark place with some alu foil or whatever so as to keep CO2 a bit high. When the mycelium will start being visible in some places, its time to move it into the terrarium to fruit. Various methods and tricks around here so as to make a better yield, but you can try as simple as possible so as to succeed. Next time you can make miracles :wink:

Another idea is to put the cake into a mixer/blender, the one with the blades. The result will be brownish [dont worry]. Put in a pan or whatever some moist vermiculite and make it even. Then with a sterilized [or at least clear] spoon put the crumbled mycelium as a layer. Then add a layer of pasteurized manure and straw and incubate it for a week. Your tired mycelium will be fresh, new and strong and will really do miracles. :smile: Its worth the effort...

athens, greece 

The living ghost of Kykeon

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation