Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrasshappa
...like Caine in "Kung Fu"

Loc: Elsewhere
Some more edibles, a couple revisits, and some unknowns
    #10506978 - 06/14/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Many cool and new [to me] mushrooms.  These were all in a patch of land about 500x200yd that I wandered around in for about four hours.  Wow, I guess I really like mushrooms, eh?  The land is a mixed red fir / lodgepole pine forest at about 8000' elevation in the eastern Sierra Nevada mtns.

1) These were almost completely buried under the topsoil, and were very 'wet' all over, even the gills and stem.
Russula sp. ...brevipes?

2) These were also mostly buried in the soil.  They gave dark chocolate brown prints.
Agaricus albolutescens?

3) These were in a horse paddock in the middle of said forest.  Do pans normally grow this big?  The first cap here almost covered my whole palm!
Panaeolus semiovatus?

4) These looked like little bells hanging from dead branches on the ground...cool:
Heterotextus alpnus?

5) These were growing out of a decomposing buried log:
Caloscypha fulgens?

6) These were on the side of a large dead stump.

7)Tiny white guys on the ground:
Camarophyllus borealis?

8) This one was in a depression on top of a log.  It was tough and hard as a bugger to pluck, and reminded me very much of the one I described in this post.
Leucopaxillus sp. ...?

9) These were growing on some of the superficial dead wood.  They remind me of chef hats, whatever those are called.

10)a) These were mostly buried, the second group of three (last five pictures below) growing in an old decaying fallen log, the first group of two (first picture below) not growing in any noticeable buried wood, but under a conifer.  The spore print was rusty brown.
Cortinarius?

10)b) Same thing as above?  Print was same rusty brown.

11) Only found one of these.  It printed white:

12)Ramaria magnipes?

13) There were a fair few of these 'white spray paint mushrooms' around.  I think they are the same thing that I had in my yard a few weeks ago, and mentioned in this post.
Clitocybe?

There were also lots of brown printing brown caps around that I guess I'll just call Agrocybe, even though they could be lots of things.  They're fun to look at, but I doubt I'd be able to be convinced that they're not toxic.

I know it's a long post, but any input would be appreciated.  Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrasshappa

Re: Some more edibles, a couple revisits, and some unknowns [Re: grasshappa]
    #10519825 - 06/16/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Not even one reply?

Waaaahhh!

[sobbing & weeping]

I'm still stumped by 6,9,10,11, & 13.  Any idears?  The others that have names with them are just guesses, too.  Feel free to tell me they're wrong...

Edited by grasshappa (06/16/09 09:24 PM)

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
    #10520001 - 06/16/09 10:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Great pictures.  You've got some cool ones there.

1.  Russula species, I doubt brevipes but maybe.
2.  Agaricus species.
3.  Panaeolus semiovatus
4.  Heterotextus alpinus looks good.
5.  Aleuria aurantia if they don't have any blue on them, otherwise you're right.
6.  Chrysomphalina species.
7.  I don't know.  Another possibility is Marasmius.
8.  ?
9.  Looks similar to the secotioid Pholiota Alan recently found.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10494602/page/8
10.  Cort
11.  That's an interesting one, maybe a Cystoderma species.
12.  Ramaria
13.  Clitocybe I guess, not really sure.

Keep em coming!

--------------------

Edited by landsnorkler (06/16/09 10:09 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10520263 - 06/16/09 10:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Not even one reply?

Waaaahhh!

These are the same mushrooms that I have been finding all weekend.  Where did you get these?  I was at Mt. Shasta.

Its not surprising that everyone else drew a blank, these mushrooms grow only in certain areas.  Good thing you bumped this thread or I never would have seen it.

Quote:

These were almost completely buried under the topsoil, and were very 'wet' all over, even the gills and stem.
Russula sp. ...brevipes?

Hygrophorus purpurascens.  I found hundreds of these this weekend.  I guess its edible but I didn't collect any for the table.

Quote:

2) These were also mostly buried in the soil.  They gave dark chocolate brown prints.
Agaricus albolutescens?

Yes thats it.  I have heard that its the only Agaricus out there.  Its delicious.

Quote:

3) These were in a horse paddock in the middle of said forest.  Do pans normally grow this big?  The first cap here almost covered my whole palm!
Panaeolus semiovatus?

Yes.  Nice find.  I usually find P. papilionaceus in that habitat.

Quote:

4) These looked like little bells hanging from dead branches on the ground...cool:
Heterotextus alpnus?

Yes.

Quote:

5) These were growing out of a decomposing buried log:
Caloscypha fulgens?

Yes.

Quote:

6) These were on the side of a large dead stump.

Chrysomphalina aurantiaca

Quote:

7)Tiny white guys on the ground:
Camarophyllus borealis?

Not a Camarophyllus.  Probably Marasmius.  Ask Douglas Smith

Quote:

8) This one was in a depression on top of a log.  It was tough and hard as a bugger to pluck, and reminded me very much of the one I described in this post.
Leucopaxillus sp. ...?

I wouldn't expect Leucopaxillus or Clitocybe on wood.  Maybe something closer to Lentinus but it doesn't really look like that either.  Ask Douglas Smith.

Quote:

9) These were growing on some of the superficial dead wood.  They remind me of chef hats, whatever those are called.

Nivatogastrium nubigenum, a really cool secotioid Pholiota.  You must have been near the snowmelt when you found this.

Quote:

10)a) These were mostly buried, the second group of three (last five pictures below) growing in an old decaying fallen log, the first group of two (first picture below) not growing in any noticeable buried wood, but under a conifer.  The spore print was rusty brown.
Cortinarius?

Yes.  You could ask Dimitar what species it is.  But he would probably ask what color the cap turned when you put 3% KOH on it.

Quote:

10)b) Same thing as above?  Print was same rusty brown.

Maybe Hebeloma.

Quote:

11) Only found one of these.  It printed white:

Maybe Tricholoma or Hygrophorus.

Quote:

12)Ramaria magnipes?

Ramaria rasilispora.  I found about 500 lbs of this yesterday.

Quote:

13) There were a fair few of these 'white spray paint mushrooms' around.  I think they are the same thing that I had in my yard a few weeks ago, and mentioned in this post.
Clitocybe?

Clitocybe sounds good.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Offlinegrasshappa

Re: Some more edibles, a couple revisits, and some unknowns [Re: landsnorkler]
    #10520291 - 06/16/09 11:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, landsnorkler!

Quote:

landsnorkler said:
9.  Looks similar to the secotioid Pholiota Alan recently found.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10494602/page/8

'secotioid' - that's a fun new word for me.  Googling brought up a couple pics of the bubblegum fungus - Nivatogastrium nubigenum.  It fits the rest of the description, as this was not too long after snowmelt (two weeks maybe?  it was my only time over to that area this spring), but I don't remember a bubble gum smell.  Maybe I didn't even try to smell it - I'm still new to mushroom hunting and seldom remember to note all the things which could distinguish the various buggers, like smell, taste, bruising, textures, root symbiants, etc.

Thanks again for the leads.  I'll do some more homework tomorrow after some sleep.

Offlinegrasshappa

Re: Some more edibles, a couple revisits, and some unknowns [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #10520300 - 06/16/09 11:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ah, I see you beat me to it, Alan.  Thanks for all the info.  I'll revisit this topic when my brain's not so groggy.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10520302 - 06/16/09 11:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

as this was not too long after snowmelt (two weeks maybe?

Two weeks is not long after snowmelt, sounds about right.  You should be able to find some morels around there, and in a week or 2 the Boletus.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Some more edibles, a couple revisits, and some unknowns [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #10520419 - 06/16/09 11:27 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Here is Douglas Smith's list of Spring Fungi in the Sierras.

Just about everything you find in this habitat will be in this list. 

http://mushroomobserver.org/species_list/show_species_list/28

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates