Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Loc: WA
Cyans found, confirmation ID needed
    #1051279 - 11/14/02 12:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

ok, here are some finds from Seattle today:  First two are cyans (I'm 99% sure), and the last two are unidentified (different location), but appear to be cyans as well.
These were found by a small stream under a branch on bark/mulch, spore print appears to be purple/grey.

These were found in a different location, on a hillside under ferns on bark/mulch, spores are also purple/grey

I'm pretty sure all are cyanescens, but wanted to be absolutely sure....if so, it'll be my first active find :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: Shadler77]
    #1051365 - 11/14/02 12:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

They all appear to be Ps. cyans, but, Im not the expert. Wait for others.

Nice find.

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: angryshroom]
    #1051388 - 11/14/02 12:58 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, that reminds me, I was wondering if someone could help clarify the differences in types of cyanescens (in terms of genus), especially in the Pacific Northwest....thanks.

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
    #1051662 - 11/14/02 03:56 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Definitely cyans. Congratulations on your first find!

I found a few of those myself today (yesterday actually ). Cyans are perrrty. The blue tinges around the cap margin and the caramel-colored cap makes them look like candy. I always want to munch a few down right away. I've never actually eaten them fresh though...i've eaten them halfway, and it was pretty bad.. didn't agree with my stomach either.

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #1051891 - 11/14/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Nice work man, congrats :smile: .

DH

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: spores]
    #1051910 - 11/14/02 08:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

super shrooms!

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1051956 - 11/14/02 08:55 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Cyans to me :smile:

I don't understand the question about genus/genera types. . .they're all Psilocybe [genus] cyanescens [species].  I have noticed a significant degree of morphological differences here in Seattle. . .often it seems more to do with what they're growing on.  The ones growing on a naked mound of chips grow a little differently than those working their way through grassy areas.  The wierdest were the clumpy clusters of last year, no sign of their return yet :frown:
Stamets seems [seemed?] to think that there was more delineation needed for this complex, as he has noted microscopic spore differences between cyanescens. . .since microscopy is often the gold standard for ID.  From memory, it was something like the presence of 'capitate pleurocystidia' in some, but not others. 
So there very likely could be subspecies, but I don't think we'll ever know the difference.

Great find, I think there are more to come.  Just found a paltry few myself yesterday :smile: 

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

#1052028 - 11/14/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

happy find yo

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1052048 - 11/14/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Are you talking about Psilocybe cyanescens between Copelandia(Panaeolus) cyanenscens? The two are found in competely different areas...the ones you found obviously are Psilocybe, and they grow in the Pac NW off of woodchips and humus, however the Panaeolus will grow only off dung in warm humid climates. I believe that cyanescens in latin refers to "blue staining".

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: angryshroom]
    #1052563 - 11/14/02 01:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you, all for the positive IDs. And thanks AngryShroom, that's what I was asking about.....I've seen psilocybe cyanescens in person a few times, but they've always been rather small and wimpy, and there's a distinct difference between these and the magnificent large wavy capped ones....wish I could get my hands on a few of those. Thanks to everyone again!!!

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
    #1052683 - 11/14/02 02:02 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes those appear to all be Ps cyanescen, a few of those specimens look a little wierd but alas. There are a few strain variations of cyanescens, there is at least the washington and British Columbia variations of them and probably many more. Just depends on how indepth you wanna go, IMO if you start breaking a certain species into differerent strains it creates the insanity that cubensis now has attached. Most likely the slight macroscopic differences found in different areas is controlled by nutrients in the substraint and various other growth factors. Eyyi, mushrooms can be as complicated as simple as you wanna make em. Peace

--------------------
stay off my land

Offlinedrow
Shroom lover
Male

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: cardboard]
    #1052760 - 11/14/02 02:29 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Am I looking at the same pics everyone else is ? Cyanescens, a.k.a. WAVY CAPS don't even remotely look like that. Check out the pics here at the shroomery, or at Erowid, or any other mushroom site and you will see what I mean.

--------------------
"It is a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: drow]
    #1053365 - 11/14/02 05:32 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

drow

yes, they do not resemble wavy caps at all, but they are cyanescens, simply a different strain (unless I'm mistaken).....I would really like to learn about the different types of cyanescens....anyone have a good resource to help distinguish between them?

Also, I have just gone picking again today, and found a bunch of mushrooms that appear almost identical to the types I found yesterday, unfortunately I believe they are inactive due to a lack of bruising....I will post again with pics shortly.

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1053410 - 11/14/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

the wavyness is certainly environmental, eh guys?
warm temps and drying tend to wave em out, IME.
anyway, those are very much like the color plate in MD.  i have found both "types" in the same habitat.  and the discussion about strains seems valid as well.  i just think that if the temps are cool and the humidity is high, they don't wave as much.  if the sun comes out, and the temp goes up, the caps tend to wave as they mature due to the cell shrinkage.    two cents.
nice cyans.
peace :tongue: 

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Offlinedavidg47
Bellinghamster
Loc: Bellingham
Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: viscid]
    #1053983 - 11/14/02 09:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with viscid on the relation to sun and waviness. Also I don't know about different strains, but it seems fairly logical.

Shadler77 - Were you picking in seattle both times, or up here yesterday? I went out a little today and it seemed like there are some smaller mushrooms growing and the mycelium still looks good and healthy. This rain is doing great things for bellingham. We'll go hunting soon.

--------------------
"You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink (or mushroom)"

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: davidg47]
    #1054018 - 11/14/02 09:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

dang, too bad you didn't tell me you were going!! Yesterday was when I found the cyans in Seattle, but I spent a good couple hours up here today and it seems I've nothing to show for it.....I'm posting pics of the ones I did find, but I'm sure they aren't active.

OfflineTrellis
Trellis

#1055840 - 11/15/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

They look like cyans to me, too.

I've been hunting cyans for seven years and have a lot of experience with this species specifically.
I have found cyans in all kinds of conditions. Sometimes in the same patch I will find wavies with non-wavies. Sometimes if their growth is disturbed for one reason or another they develop a weird notch in the cap. There are really many different forms cyans take and I've seen them take them all in the same patch. I don't think it's a subspecies issue, I think it's just natural variation in appearance do to environmental factors.

#=Trellis=#

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed [Re: Trellis]
    #1059414 - 11/17/02 01:19 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Just thought I'd inform everyone of the happy ending.....Shroomin Shadley and four of his friends combined 2 8ths of cubensis with all of these harvested cyans and went tripping today in a state park.....one of the best trips ever....about a level 3 for all of us, including somebody's first time.  We hiked, went climbing, braved the rain/cold/wind, and more....I'll be adding to the trip reports shortly.....mt first experience  with cyans is not something to be disappointed with :smile:

Offlinewicca mixer
Marmalade, I like marmalade :)
Male User Gallery

#23474599 - 07/25/16 06:53 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I found some cyans one winter a few years go. They were growing kind of inside the remains of a rotted out oak stump right next to a fishing lake. I ate ten of them during the daytime indoors and the buzz seemed to be very sparkly and colourful compared to the visuals I generally get with liberty caps. I was impressed with the little mighty cyanescens :smile:

I'm in the uk (greater london), and Idk if what I found got there naturally or if someone dumped some spawn there. I have yet to find them anywhere else.. They say cyanescens in the uk are weaker than the US ones but the ones I took seemed very potent. I'd rather eat 10 or 20 cyanecens than eat 100 liberty caps.

Added: Oops I didn't look at the date either.

Edited by wicca mixer (08/11/16 07:13 AM)

OfflineMushrello
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pokin out of woodchips
Re: Cyans found, confirmation ID needed *DELETED* [Re: Shadler77]
    #23475631 - 07/25/16 02:06 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Mushrello

Reason for deletion: i didnt look at the date :slaphed:

--------------------
"I collect spores, molds, & fungus"  Egon Spengler

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck