Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekron_weed
Hobby Mycologist
Male

Loc: Vancouver
Contam turn goodies??
    #6650210 - 03/08/07 06:56 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Hey, i have a privative terrarium and the usual perlite humid tech with the usual pf tech cake. i have harevested this cake once already with 100% no contamination. after neglect, its been like 10 or so days since last fruiting and a contamination was found. can i grow this diseased cake so i can get a mushroom to sporeprint??

can i sporeprint a contaminated mushroom and still hope to only get sterile prints/syringes??

the contam currently is only in the fluid in the bottem

--------------------
"god is a plant, known as the earth"
- One smart mutherfucker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: kron_weed]
    #6650278 - 03/08/07 07:12 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

If that's you and your cake in your avatar, I can't imagine how your cake got contaminated. :wink:

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlinekron_weed
Hobby Mycologist
Male

Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: Premedman1]
    #6653627 - 03/09/07 05:26 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

lol, yea it is. there is no question what lead to contam and im not cying about it. at worst i start everything over again. im just wondering if i can grow a mushroom thats contaminated and get a viable print from it. there are pins and the usual sign of fruiting in the second flush. is there anything i should do diffent when i print? or should i just keep u guys informed.

obviously it goes without saying theese contam mush'ies arent for human consumption

--------------------
- One smart mutherfucker

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6653847 - 03/09/07 06:47 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Mushrooms from a contaminated cake are safe to eat. They don't 'absorb' contaminants from the substrate or all wild mushrooms would be unsafe to eat. If the mold or bacteria is on the fruit itself of course, don't eat it. It's common in the commercial industry to harvest fruits from contaminated substrates and send them to market. There are no health regulations against it because it's not a risk factor.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6654176 - 03/09/07 08:36 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mushrooms from a contaminated cake are safe to eat. They don't 'absorb' contaminants from the substrate or all wild mushrooms would be unsafe to eat. If the mold or bacteria is on the fruit itself of course, don't eat it. It's common in the commercial industry to harvest fruits from contaminated substrates and send them to market. There are no health regulations against it because it's not a risk factor.
RR

That makes perfect sense but, why is it that everyone is so very against eating mushrooms from a contaminated cake or any substrate for that matter? I have been told that i could possibly die from eating a mushroom off of a cake that has contams!?!?!?!?!? How can so many people be misinformed? I trust you, but it seems to be old knowledge that it is unsafe to ingest mushrooms from this situation.

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: Ganzig]
    #6654303 - 03/09/07 09:28 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

It's not old knowledge.  It's misinformation that gets repeated way too much.  If a mushroom itself has bacterial blotch or any other contaminant, toss it out just to play it safe.  However, mushrooms from a substrate with contaminants are normal.  All substrates have contaminants unless you're growing on sterilized sawdust in outer space.  In addition, do a google search for 'organic gardening' and 'trichoderma'.  You'll see that organic gardeners order trichoderma cultures to fight disease in their gardens.  It's a beneficial organism. 

In addition, one of the many species of bacteria we in myclogy always just lump together and call 'wet spot', which is bacillus, is also ordered by organic gardeners to spray on their flowers to control caterpillars.  It's known as BT.  Crops are safe to harvest and eat the day of spraying.

One of these days people will quit repeating the mantra that green mold will kill you.  Until then, I'll keep trying to set the record straight.  Don't even get me started on myc piss again. :lol:
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #6654356 - 03/09/07 10:00 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Cool.  That makes so much more sense.  And dont worry about me bringing up the myc piss stuff.:)  I have seen you go through the motions of that topic already.  And sorry for hijacking your thread Kron. :bitchsmack:

--------------------

Edited by Ganzig (03/09/07 10:01 PM)

Offlinekron_weed
Hobby Mycologist
Male

#6658544 - 03/11/07 02:45 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

RR YOU never cease to amaz me. im proposing a new rule...lol... no-one posts on a thread until RR does cuz he will and always does, answer the question beyond a shadow of a doubt...lol

J/k

have a good one........now i can actually still harvest my shrooms, im happy

--------------------
- One smart mutherfucker

Offlinekron_weed
Hobby Mycologist
Male

#6658549 - 03/11/07 02:47 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

yea..this is red mold with a slightly stinky ass smelling odour...but again, it dosent even exist on the cake, its int he perlite and has washed onto the cake.....

--------------------
- One smart mutherfucker

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#6658572 - 03/11/07 03:02 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Sterilized substrate in outer space? Sounds charming and delicious. Wonder how many flushes you could get in such aseptic conditions? :P *imagines a glass terrarium floating in free space*

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #6658592 - 03/11/07 03:11 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Ganzig said:
Quote:

That makes perfect sense but, why is it that everyone is so very against eating mushrooms from a contaminated cake or any substrate for that matter?  I have been told that i could possibly die from eating a mushroom off of a cake that has contams!?!?!?!?!? How can so many people be misinformed? I trust you, but it seems to be old knowledge that it is unsafe to ingest mushrooms from this situation.

I wound up eating these

just to prove it to myself , lol:thumbup:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: HippieChick]
    #6658596 - 03/11/07 03:14 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

I'm not sure, but I think he was asking if it was possible to get a clean, viable print from a contaminated cake, not just if he could eat them. :shrug:

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlinekron_weed
Hobby Mycologist
Male

Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: Premedman1]
    #6659426 - 03/11/07 07:33 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

yea... i was just wondering about the print thingy...but now that i know the shrooms are okay, im gellin like magellin...(booo)..lol

--------------------
- One smart mutherfucker

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: HippieChick]
    #6661474 - 03/12/07 02:01 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
Quote:

Ganzig said:
Quote:

That makes perfect sense but, why is it that everyone is so very against eating mushrooms from a contaminated cake or any substrate for that matter?  I have been told that i could possibly die from eating a mushroom off of a cake that has contams!?!?!?!?!? How can so many people be misinformed? I trust you, but it seems to be old knowledge that it is unsafe to ingest mushrooms from this situation.

I wound up eating these

just to prove it to myself , lol:thumbup:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

That is sooooooo lame to hear now.  I recently threw out a quarter of great GTs that I thought MIGHT be contaminated.  Ahhhhh.  Shitty.  i have half a syringe left and some fruits too. Not all is lost.  I actually threw them out, then pulled them out of the garbage(they were still in the bag), and then threw them away again.

--------------------

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #6661506 - 03/12/07 02:09 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Wow Hippie Chick that pic is insane... the first cake I grew had a little mold and I dosed on its fruits and chucked it, but that is like a cesspool of trichoderma there... I'd be truly hesitant to eat them... just another reason you are a legend in my mind! :rolleyes:

However, I did have a monotub of similar scale crop up with a few tiny green blotches and I dosed on those as well... I'm sure if I left it long enough it would have resulted in a very similar green pool... yeach!

Heed RR's advice... he is a sage!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Contam turn goodies?? [Re: xeallos]
    #6662053 - 03/12/07 04:36 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Geezus girl, I wouldn't even have eaten those, and I've been known to go down on some nasty stuff.  :fishsmack:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineDr. Zowie
Door of MisPerception?
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Belly of the Beast
    #10518262 - 06/16/09 04:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Roger...this is an old thread...but...I wanna make sure your information is correct.  Did you say that the Wet Spot bacillus is B. thuragensis?  Every rye bag I touch turns to Wet Spot...and I didnt  understand the source.  I have a big bag of BT spore powder in the next room with the garden equipment....the air everywhere in the house is probably loaded with BT spores. 

What do I do to reduce airborne contamination now that I have unleashed the spores?

Edited by Dr. Zowie (06/16/09 04:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags