Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Depression
    #1044817 - 11/11/02 09:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Depression sucks. I think that sometimes intellectuals treat their depression as an existential crisis, where their depression is somehow special (the dark night of the soul, exc.) while other people are "just depressed". I think that what would be more helpful is to get involved with things, different forms of social activism: if you're young, anti-war movements might be your thing. If you're older, volunteering at a soup kitchen might be your thing. Performance arts: read at a poetry slam, put together a band, write a screen play with your friends and film it, show it on public access... Health - find a buddy to work out with, do your daily yoga stretches, exc... My only point is that there are simple things people do to feel connected with the world and feel enthusiastic about life. So when identifying with Harry Haller while reading Steppenwolf and feeling like a misunderstood genius, remember too that there are healthy, satisfied people making a positive difference in the world. Love and Blessings, CJ

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Depression [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1045076 - 11/11/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Depression can be quite addictive, and is very fashionable--especially to the "disillusioned" (the most delusional of all). I call it Kurt Cobainism. :wink: (nah, just kidding.)
I have extensive experience with this form of sadomasochism, and I loved every minute of it. Of course, I considered myself nothing like the rest of the self-loathers, as my grief was real. lol
Luckily, before I killed myself -to prove that it was real, perhaps- I snapped out of it. It was pretty hard to deal with that sudden bitch-slap; but when that started getting bad, I realized that I was doing the same thing again. It's all been pretty humorous since then. (Like in that Tragically Hip song, can't remember which one. Laughing: "What were we thinking? We don't have to kill ourselves ... ".)

Well, there was more to it than that--under the circumstances, I think few would deny it was a "legitimate" depression, psychologically, and probably physiologically to an extent. :wink:

Depression is overrated. As Drew Carey said: "Do not pity the whore!" There's a pity whore in everyone. Take the power back. :wink: 

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (11/11/02 10:32 PM)

Anonymous

#1045266 - 11/11/02 11:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

meh

OfflineKemist
Soul ComponentsPrototype IssueM11983MF50 (x_x)

Loc: The Orgin
Re: Depression [Re: Anonymous]
    #1045712 - 11/12/02 07:56 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

double meh

can't have the sweet w/o the sour

--------------------
Rafa (x_X)

fuck a sig

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: Depression [Re: Ulysees]
    #1045756 - 11/12/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have extensive experience with this form of sadomasochism, and I loved every minute of it. Of course, I considered myself nothing like the rest of the self-loathers, as my grief was real. lol

couldn't have said it better mice-ELF Ulysses! having spent too many beleping years in the stagnant pond of self pity and wallowing, it's funny to look back and realize that i really did enjoy it(albeit it in a very perverse manner)

It just starts to feel like "home" after a while, it's a rut, but a comfortable one....especially when you can surround yourself with those that feel the same way about themselves and therefore(imo) the world around them......looking back on all those (seemingly at the time) atrophied  years, all i can really do is  :grin: and be Gr8ful those darkest of days are behind me.....

i'm not trying to say that everyday is all sweetness and light in my world, i have things going on in my personal life just like (imo) most other people on this board, the difference is that now i handle difficult times a lot more easily then i once did.... without having to face unpleasant life situations there wouldn't be any(imo) opportunity to grow......without adversity, we would develop  no strength(imo)

i'm glad i had a chance to work through those bleak days unaided by pills prescribed by the psychiatric community(prozac, ritalin etc), although i MORE than made up for it in otherways :wink: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: Depression [Re: Ulysees]
    #1046365 - 11/12/02 01:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

absolutely.....depression is addictive......I have worked with many patients that just get into a "habit" of being down and usually wanting someone else to rescue them.

I feel for the ones that have horrible fits of depression and want to feel better but can't....I've been there........

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Depression [Re: Tannis]
    #1046440 - 11/12/02 01:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Its a lame cycle

You feel like shit about your life. and everything feels empty and dead around you. Then you get sparks of inspiration and hope and are able to pull yourself up out of the gloom and into the light. You see all the wonderful opportunities surrounding you, and all the happiness you can take a hold of....

Then suddenly, somehow, you don't feel like yourself. You are happy.. or were a second ago? Everything seemed like it was fitting in place.. But this isn't you... it isn't right.. and you quietly retreat back to the comfortable darkness.

repeat every day.

im on paxil.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Depression [Re: Grav]
    #1046463 - 11/12/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Without a shadow there is no light.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Depression [Re: Adamist]
    #1046516 - 11/12/02 02:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

of course.
i dont see depression as a state of mind that should be annihilated... i think some of the most beautiful parts of a person lie in there somewhere... as it is part of them.
but it should be worked out, especially when reality is knocking at the door

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1046555 - 11/12/02 02:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It's very weird. In my life, i've always found it easier to connect with depressive things. Depressive songs for instance, I always feel depressive or meloncolic type songs to be more "deep". When it come to the happy songs, they are enjoyable but dont have a that deep connection with me; They seem more like "shallow pleasure" or 2-dimensional.

I cannot speak for others, but in my experience happiness is somthing that takes work. Happiness is not something that just happens. it is not the result of good fortune or "just having a good life". It is not something that money can buy or power command. It does not depend on external happenings; you most often can't dictate and control external evets to fit you. Happiness is a condition that must be prepared for, cultivated , and somtimes DEFENDED against privately by each individual.

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Depression [Re: David_Scape]
    #1046941 - 11/12/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I dont think i could have ever been this happy without going through those dark places and eventually facing them

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: Depression [Re: David_Scape]
    #1046992 - 11/12/02 04:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I cannot speak for others, but in my experience happiness is somthing that takes work. Happiness is not something that just happens. it is not the result of good fortune or "just having a good life". It is not something that money can buy or power command. It does not depend on external happenings; you most often can't dictate and control external evets to fit you. Happiness is a condition that must be prepared for, cultivated , and somtimes DEFENDED against privately by each individual.

i couldn't have said it better :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: Depression [Re: Adamist]
    #1047000 - 11/12/02 04:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Without a shadow there is no light.

That's very true(imo) Adamist, one can not truly appreciate the brightness of the present moment without contrasting it to the dark past  :laugh: 

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Depression [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1048471 - 11/13/02 01:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Woe...    :frown: :frown: :frown:

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (11/13/02 03:48 AM)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Depression [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1048615 - 11/13/02 03:33 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

can you truly be enjoying Now if you are referencing the past?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: Depression [Re: GazzBut]
    #1048619 - 11/13/02 03:39 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

can you truly be enjoying Now if you are referencing the past?

Yes :grin: 

--------------------

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
depression can be real though... [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1050467 - 11/13/02 08:36 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

sometimes though, depressions's not just a bad mood or cycle....sometimes one is a genuine screw case. sometimes a person's head is just really MESSED up because of not THINGS, but a chemical imbalance. for THOSE people....it is just as debilitating as a broken leg.

the thing is, everybody thinks they are the ones that have the worst case scenario depression, but true chemical depression is pretty rare. most people are just throwing a pity party. :grin: 

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Invisibletipz
Stranger
Re: depression can be real though... *DELETED* [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #1051653 - 11/14/02 03:46 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by tipz

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: Depression [Re: Grav]
    #1051718 - 11/14/02 05:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You said it! You don't feel like yourself. Its like someone comes in and starts to live your life for you....or run it into the ground.

It seems though that we like our lows because they make our highs seem even higher by contrast. Many are the mood swings of prophets, priests, and kings..........

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Depression / light bulb changing joke [Re: Tannis]
    #1051749 - 11/14/02 06:35 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Q -
how many depressives does it take to change a light bulb?
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
A -
"leave the bulb burned out, it's better to cry in the dark"
~
~
~
(sorry, just couldn't resist any more...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order