Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineKetamineKatalyst
Skyhighatrist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Koma Kluster
Re: Best way to quit smoking? [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #10511603 - 06/15/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I quit about 9 days ago, I feel better than ever. It's not that hard actually, you just have to want to quit. Not half want to quit, or kind of want to quit, you have to really want it. Otherwise you'll just start back up again, or you'll be stressing the fuck out because you don't really want to quit.

Think about why you want to quit. Is it because it leaves tar and crap in your lungs, because it makes your teeth yellow, because you get short of breath when exercising or because it generally uses up a lot of your energy ever day?

Think about these things. Do you really want to quit?

Twice before when I 'quit' I hadn't fully wanted it, so I had such a hard time every day I didn't have cigs. I was so agitated and got angry. But now that I really want it, the whole last 9 days have been smooth sailing.

Someone here on the shroomery gave a really good piece of advice the other day:

He said when he wanted a cigarette he thought to himself "Will I feel better in 15 minutes after smoking this cigarette, or tomorrow after not having smoked for a whole day?"

Helped me a bunch! It seems to me that patches would more be for people who've smoked for 15-25 years or some shit. I smoked nearly a pack a day for 6 years straight.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutely ruthless and highly indifferent: it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not." John C. Lilly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Loc: North Alabama
    #10511684 - 06/15/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Right on.

Well I'm not mad at you.

Do what you can to make that paper.

If I was good-looking enough to be a male model, I'd be on the catwalk like Right Said Fred.

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Best way to quit smoking? [Re: KetamineKatalyst]
    #10511696 - 06/15/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've been smoking for about 13 years.
quit twice and was completely free from nicotine addiction for a couple months both times and just decided: "fuck it, I enjoy smoking", and started again. I enjoy the act of smoking, and the mental stimulation that comes with it not to mention the nicotine..

Anyways... the only real way to quit is just through willpower.

Patches can help, I guess. But that's not getting you off the nicotine. The idea is to lower your nicotine dose with the patch every week or two until you don't need it at all. But I don't know anyone who quit using the patch. I worked at CVS way back in the day and there would be people that would come in every week to buy their $60 box of nicotrol. After seeing the same person come in for months I asked how it was going and he said "Oh I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago, I'm just addicted to the nicotrol". That shit is ten times as expensive as cigarettes.

I've heard Wellbutrin can be helpful in curbing nicotine cravings.

Other than that I don't really believe in substituting other substances to get you off another substance, unless we are talking about a hardcore opiate addiction or something.

Nicotine addiction isn't shit. Yeah, you REALLY want one for the first couple days, but in my experience - after you get through the first 2-4 days or so, any physical withdrawal or addiction is pretty much gone. The physical "withdrawal" isn't anything.. maybe some shakes and easily agitated for a couple days.. but that's about as bad as it gets. Compare that to an opiate addiction where withdrawals can make you violently sick..

The hardest part is getting past the mental addiction which is much more powerful. And supplements aren't going to help you there. You need to do something else instead of smoking. Most people smoke as part of a habitual ritual - eat a meal, smoke a cigarette - have sex, smoke a cigarette.. etc. Find a way to replace that mental addiction with something else. Chewing gum, chewing on a pencil (some of the addiction is an oral fixation).. focus your mind on something different.

They say it takes 21 days of not doing something to train your mind to break a mental addiction.

So yeah, I'll say the best and only way IMO to quit is through sheer willpower, with maybe a few aids.
But you have to actually want to quit. If you quit for reasons like I did (mostly pressure from other people, oh its bad for you etc).. and then I justified it to myself saying yeah its a huge waste of money and it does nothing good for my health. So I quit, and it was easy... but I didn't REALLY want to quit, because I fucking enjoy it and get pleasure from it, and I shouldn't care what other people think, so I started again :laugh:

But everyone I know that quit smoking did so through just quitting. The gum or patch or whatever is just an unnecessary crutch.
GL

--------------------

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: Best way to quit smoking? [Re: Shroomism]
    #10511717 - 06/15/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

back when I tried to quit I was on the patch(strongest one) chewed the gum and had the lozenges but I STILL smoked cigarettes. It was more of a habit of smoking something.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Best way to quit smoking? [Re: DeathCompany]
    #10511732 - 06/15/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yep.. which is why some people say smoking weed can be a good temporary replacement for smoking a cigarette. But if I smoked weed everytime I wanted a cigarette I'd be fucking perma fried all day every day heh.

But like I said, I think 90% of the addiction is the actual ACT of smoking. Lighting a stick, bringing it to your mouth.. inhaling and exhaling smoke... there's something about that. If you can get past the mental addiction of smoking then you have it beat because the actual physical addiction isn't shit, and I say that having gone from smoking 2 packs a day at one point to cold turkey.

--------------------

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: Best way to quit smoking? [Re: DeathCompany]
    #10511749 - 06/15/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I completely agree physical withdraws aren't shit compared to opiates or anything really for that matter.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
    #10512198 - 06/15/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ima Trooper said:
I've found the only way to quit is to NOT QUIT.

I would quit, then after a few drinks on the weekend bum one from my friends. That one would usually turn into 5-6 over the weekend, then I'd go buy a pack and feel guilty and like shit because I couldn't quit. The pressure of "OMG I can NEVER have another cigarette!" would make me want a cigarette more.

So this last time I decided "Fuck this shit, I'm not going to quit, I'm just going to NOT SMOKE most of the time. So I'll have maybe 3 cigs a month now. I don't feel bad at all, and the damages are minimal compared to my 2 pack/day habit before.

Not quitting was the only way I could stop (or DRASTICALLY slow down) smoking.:shrug:

This is Key.

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: Best way to quit smoking? [Re: The Herbalist]
    #10512224 - 06/15/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I had a psychology professor who, when he decided he wanted to quit smoking, would chain smoke until he vomited.

He did this daily, until he no longer felt the urge to smoke.

He said even now, the scent of cigarettes makes his stomach leap.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom