Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them?
    #1049212 - 11/13/02 12:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Coming back from class just now, I heard a commercial by the Sobriety Task-force of Virginia, advising not to drink and drive and announcing the setup of sobriety checkpoints over the upcoming weeks. For those who are unaware, sobriety checkpoints are roadblocks setup by the police. They stop every car that comes through, and they quickly evaluate your sobriety. Obviously if they suspect that you have been drinking you're in trouble with the Man. If not, you can go on your merry way.

What does everybody think about these. Do you think that these roadblocks violate your constitutional rights, or are they protecting our streets?

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1049216 - 11/13/02 12:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Your papers please.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1049220 - 11/13/02 12:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

the same thing is happening in Michigan. It's some sort of homeland security ploy. They're setting up check points within 25 miles of the Canadian border, there's a lot of pissed off people...i know i am

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1049225 - 11/13/02 12:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think its a problem, as long as they do not have the right to search your car. If they are JUST checking sobriety, that should be fine. Especially if they are announcing it, you should be ready for it.

If you're fucking drunk, its bullshit to drive. I dont want to be killed by a drunk driver. Id rather them get their license taken away or something...then they would have to bike, and thats just better for the environment in the end..ha.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: angryshroom]
    #1049263 - 11/13/02 12:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well perhaps cops should come by your house to make sure you aren't committing any crimes. They won't be searching, but if they do happen to see something illegal, well then they can throw you in the clink. As long as they announce it, you should be ready right? Of course they don't announce what neighborhoods they are coming to, on what date, but you should be ready right?

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1049320 - 11/13/02 12:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

They have these during holidays and sometimes on weekends in big cities up here in Canada. I think it's a good idea. Drinking and driving is stupid, anyone who gets caught for it deserves what they get and probably more.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: Phluck]
    #1049410 - 11/13/02 01:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sobriety checkpoints are a solution to the problem of drunk driving, though not necessarily the best one. But drinking and driving is a big big problem in America. Cops are there to enforce the laws (stupid though they may be,) so just don't break a lot of laws while cops are around.

ps. A lot of you are opposed to sobriety checkpoints in a knee-jerk sort of way, but drunk drivers kill people, women and children, and checkpoints get drunk drivers off the street. Sorry you can't drop acid and go driving in your car, but this shit might save lives in a very direct way.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1049444 - 11/13/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Random searches of American citizens without a leagal warrent or probable cause are blatently unconstitutional. The Supreme Court disagrees with me one this one.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1049469 - 11/13/02 01:34 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thats the thing, the checkpoints do not curb drinking and driving. They may catch more people doing it, but the numbers of those guilty of such offence will not drop. Yes drinking and driving is a problem. And yes cops are there to enforce the laws.

However this does not excuse the fact that it is unconstitutional. Banning handguns, monitoring communication, or raiding homes on a weekly basis may drop the crime rates as well. Are they constitutional? No. But I guess it doesn't matter as long as lives are saved right? Who cares if the ends don't justify the means?

It's the complacent citizens who have rotted this state. It's the moronical citizens who voted for the "No Car Tax" of Gilmore. While the rest of us Liberals were saying "No, it won't work, this economy won't last forever." it was the wonderfully complacent citizens who decided, "I don't wanna pay no money for my SUV." and voted for Gilmore. Years later, imagine that, the economy isn't as strong, and Virginia's income is not what it once was. So now becuase we don't have the income, we are having to make sacrifices. Cutting back spending on Colleges and potentially closing one, closing DMV's, and other state workers are losing their jobs. Great, we have no money. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the last report of the waterways here in VA. Forty-four percent of the waterways do not meet the current standards. They are hazerdous waterways. Why? Because the previous administrations have relaxed regulations of business so that more businesses would come to VA. Now what do we have? Fucked up rivers, and on top of that, no fucking money to clean them up. Do you know what it is going to cost to clean up the "Superfund" sites? I will tell you, its$800,000,000 Where are we going to get that money? Warner has had to make choices which he should have never had to make. He is going to go down as extremly unpopular because he has had to clean up the shithole that the Republicans have managed to turn this state into. How the parks and schools bonds passed last week I will never know.

--------------------

Edited by I_Fart_Blue (11/13/02 01:36 PM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1049517 - 11/13/02 01:47 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

what 4th amendment? *kicks constitution under the rug*

if it was trulry for drunk drivers then i'd be for it (sorta) but they are also saying that (in this area) if they see a roach or any other suspicious thing they can just search your car..the collectivists love this, but it scares the hell out of me. :shocked:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

#1049799 - 11/13/02 04:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"It's the complacent citizens who have rotted this state."

Arguably the best political comment made by either side that I have seen in this forum. And that's quite a feat.

IFB, that is the problem.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: ]
    #1049891 - 11/13/02 04:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

jeeze, why thank you. I am glad you agree.

Since I am a liberal, while I may not agree with everything that is said in this forum, I certainly have a lot of respect for the people here. I am afraid that a lot of us here are of a dieing breed in this country. We are the "thinkers". I see a lot of blind acceptance of "fact", and less evaluation and contemplation of what is what is the actual situation. If you engage the average citizen in a conversation on current things in the nation, most can only regurgitate what they've heard. They form very few opinions of their own. For example, I've talked to a lot of people about the impending war. A lot or for it, but very few can actually tell me why.  :crazy: I find this incredibly disturbing. I don't care if you have an opinion, but at least know why you do. *sigh* I think too many people in this country take for granted what we have and don't realize how lucky they were to be born here, in stead of (Insert random 3rd world Totalitarian regime here). Eh?

--------------------

Anonymous

#1049958 - 11/13/02 05:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Not at all.

Whenever I see an intelligent comment I acknowledge it whether it is made by a liberal or a conservative. According to the political survey that was posted here I am a centrist, neither left nor right. What this probably means is that I do not agree with anyone here 100%.

As you said it is the lack of thinking that is ruining our state and I would add the state.

My perspective on this particular issue is this. I see nothing wrong with driving under the influence. Now that may come as a shock to those that haven't thought this through. But think about it for a minute. What harm automatically comes from driving under the influence? Absolutely none. Instead what I would do is increase the penalty of whatever law was broken if the driver was under the influence. The reason I say this is because I have friends who have driven under the influence for years without a single mishap. This issue is similiar to drug usage. Some people use drugs irresponsibly and so the rest of us have our rights taken away.

The media and the government have people convinced that you cannot take drugs responsibly and that you cannot drive under the influence without killing someone. Both conclusions are incorrect.

I hear a lot of people spout Rush Limbaugh without critically examining his statements. I hear people do the same thing with Peter Jennings, et al.

I refuse to let another man do my thinking for me.

Cheers,

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1050037 - 11/13/02 05:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

They set these up ALL over here in California and they do it in places where you dont know its their untill your in line to be checked...

I know lots of people who have been busted for weed this way. Turn the corner and cops are just waiting their to smell inside your car and BAM... Ticket for posession...

Thats the only bad thing about them... Other than that Im all for em..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1050415 - 11/13/02 08:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In Hawaii we call them police fundraisers. They'll get you for no registration, a broken tail light, whatever.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: ]
    #1050449 - 11/13/02 08:30 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I've driven after a few beers once or twice. However, I think I'm willing to say that 'responsible drinking', as well as 'responsible drug use', includes thinking ahead so that driving a car isn't needed. I don't like making things black and white, but maybe this is one I can let go.

Though maybe your idea of shifting the penalty away from DUI and onto offenses while DUI is a good plan. I'm gonna think about that one a bit.

Edited by hongomon (11/13/02 08:34 PM)

Offlinebluesky
mushroom cowboy

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about th [Re: hongomon]
    #1050499 - 11/13/02 08:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Police checkpoints for alcohol intoxication are a good thing in my opinion, but when they are there simply to harass people, especially those unfortunate ignorant people who actually think that a cop automatically has the right to tear your car appart without real probable cause, that pisses me off greatly. There are good cops who will actually look out for citizens, and there are bad cops who take some sort of satist pleasure in harassing and intimadating citizens (especially young "suspicious" people) when they are just trying to get back home or something. Every roadblock that Ive encountered were enforced by relativly friendly policemen who didnt give me the slanty eyes.

--------------------
You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day,
Lord you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way. Turn your love my waaaaaay, Yea.
-Richard (Dickey) Betts

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1050598 - 11/13/02 09:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

First off, a car is not like your house. When you're on the road, you're not only responsible for your own life, but for the lives of everyone around you. I don't see how a sobriety check constitutes a search and/or seizure. You know perfectly well you're going to be checked, you don't leave roaches laying around, and hopefully you're not so fucking stupid that you're smoking pot in the car, because that's just asking to get busted.

Like with anything, if they have just cause, then they can search. Don't give me the "it's not for drunk drivers" bullshit. Now YOU'RE starting to sound like those conspiracy goofs you've made fun of in the past.

I don't see what the hell this has to do with collectivism, maybe you're just trying to lump all the ideas you oppose into one big group.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1050612 - 11/13/02 09:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Since I am a liberal, while I may not agree with everything that is said in this forum, I certainly have a lot of respect for the people here. I am afraid that a lot of us here are of a dieing breed in this country. We are the "thinkers". "

So I'm playing devil's advocate here... but are you saying that conservative's aren't thinking? This is exactly what I was talking about in my other thread, a complete lack of understanding for the opposing side's viewpoints.

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Sobriety Checkpoints: What do U think about them? [Re: Phluck]
    #1050753 - 11/13/02 09:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"So I'm playing devil's advocate here... but are you saying that conservative's aren't thinking? This is exactly what I was talking about in my other thread, a complete lack of understanding for the opposing side's viewpoints. "

No, you misinturpreted. I have respect everybody in this forum because they are the "thinkers" not the complacent citizens. As long as you are at least thinking about and are semi-knowledgable I've got respect for you. It is when you openly accept "fact" without questioning it that I lose respect for you.

--------------------

Edited by I_Fart_Blue (11/13/02 09:50 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom