Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
help rh is too low?
    #1049797 - 11/13/02 06:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I just faned and rh is showing only like 58% and its at same level as cakes the rubbermaid is like 72QT and 2 tubs of perlite in there. Also have a 4w bulb up top to provide some light and is this affecting my humidity or is it the fact that the tubs so big or ???

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: help rh is too low? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1049809 - 11/13/02 06:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you just fanned the humidity will take a few minutes to stablize. Can you post a pic of your setup?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: help rh is too low? [Re: dog]
    #1049816 - 11/13/02 06:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

been a few minutes :frown: but the rubbermaid is black and 72Q and the 2 tubs of perlite are .5l and another 6x6x2" deep tub with moist perlite in both. just thinking if thats not enough to moisten up 72Q of airspace. :frown:  Also cakes look dry too jsut got the hygrometer today.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1049828 - 11/13/02 06:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, my humidity's on the low side as well....i'm using a basic terrarium setup with perlite and things are rarely over 90%, even after hand spraying. Maybe getting a humidifier is ultimately the way to go. I'm experiencing mycelium accumulation on the lower half of the stem of the one rapidly maturing shroom, a sign, i believe, of low humidity.

Invisibledog
straw dog

#1049841 - 11/13/02 06:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:smile: Your setup sounds almost exactly like mine. I have two 72 quart Stearlites with three trays of perlite in one of the tubs. The trays are 10x5x2 and they keep the  humidity near 100%. 

Perlite is practically foolproof. Is your hygrometer reliable? 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: help rh is too low? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1049847 - 11/13/02 06:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Mycelial growth on the cap and/or stem is a sign of HIGH humidity. Your rh is fine.

--------------------

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1049851 - 11/13/02 06:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, like Dog sez, post a pic of your setup.

Perlite puts out a lotta moisture, so most likely you're not using enough, or it's not wet enough, or your container is too leaky, or your hygrometer sux.

Peace!

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1049858 - 11/13/02 06:35 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Yeah, my humidity's on the low side as well....i'm using a basic terrarium setup with perlite and things are rarely over 90%, even after hand spraying.

What kind of hydrometer are you using? Right after spraying it should hit well above 90 easy.

To the first guy, what was the humidity right before fanning?

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: help rh is too low? [Re: Theta]
    #1049933 - 11/13/02 06:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

feels kinda damp on side of terrarium and i got a shitty digi $15 therm/hygrometer from wally world. but got 2 tubs of perlite in the chamber. its made by accurite and the outside with the lil probe never goes above 58% or so and its inside the chamber.??????? should i mist the perlite? no pics sorry.

--------------------

Edited by socratesmind (11/13/02 07:06 PM)

OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

#1050068 - 11/13/02 08:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Dude, I think you have the same ass-mart them/hygro that I have and mine has never read above 40% although there's water dripping everywhere and I can actually feel the humidity when I open it up and peek inside.  I do live in a dry climate, but my point is that our themometers suck.  :grin: 

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1050147 - 11/13/02 08:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

>>i got a shitty digi $15 therm/hygrometer from wally world.

I have the same one. The little probe only tells temp not humidity. So you have to put the whole thing in the terrarium to get a reading and not just the probe.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: help rh is too low? [Re: New Name]
    #1050947 - 11/14/02 12:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ah mucho gracais new name :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation