Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinetrendalM
tangential derivation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee
    #1049046 - 11/13/02 12:58 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/InfoCom/CommitteeMain.asp?Language=E&CommitteeID=217&Joint=0

They are supposed to table their report this month (Nov 2002) but have not yet to my knowledge. Anyone have any news or anything on the progress of this report?

--------------------
The story book's been read
And every line believed
Curriculum's been set
Logic is a threat
Reason searched and seized

BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: trendal]
    #1049265 - 11/13/02 02:25 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Is this supposed to be a good thing?

If they were having that here in the US I would be awfully nervous.

I hope this helps you guys.

Cheers,

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1049361 - 11/13/02 02:56 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Yeah, they said at the end of November. I'm guessing their report will be a lot more conservative than the senate report that came out a few months ago recommending total legalization for anyone over the age of 16, but we'll see. This report will probabaly be more influential on the changes that will actually be made. The general concensus seems to be that they'll try to pass something this spring. Don't get too excited, this could still go in any directing, but I've got my fingers crossed.

The most likely outcome is decriminalization I think.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: ]
    #1049369 - 11/13/02 02:57 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Yes, this is supposed to be a good thing. It's a report about how marijuana laws should be changed. There are a LOT of prominant politicians (even some wacky religious right ones!) that are all for legalization. We shall see.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Anonymous

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: Phluck]
    #1049376 - 11/13/02 03:01 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Whew! Well all we can hope is that you guys get a little drug freedom.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #1050101 - 11/13/02 08:25 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

No chance for legalization.
The commons report is rumoured to recomend decrim. If it does, (and I say IF), it's unlikely the government will feel any pressure to act.

Around that time, the high profile Romanow health care report (which is rumoured to endorse expanding public health insurance) is being released. The publicity of of the Romanow report will eclipse that of the marijuana comitee.

My guess is that nothing much will change. Even if it's decrimed, it's still illegal. There will be no buying at the store, with the age limit being 16, as the senate comitee recomends.

CBC News Story

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Edited by carbonhoots (11/13/02 08:26 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: carbonhoots]
    #1051625 - 11/14/02 05:05 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Yes but you might be able to grow your own in your backyard or closet without fear of being arrested. Do you really care if it can be bought or sold?

Why would you want to buy pot in a store?

Hemp products should be the only commercial cannabis other then SEED.

Buy seed grow marijuana for your own household. Buy Hemp seed and grow commercially for producing products to sell.

Licensed growers will produce the seed. Licensed growers can supply the pharmacies with the MEDICAL marijuana, for those who cannot grow their own.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1053039 - 11/14/02 05:49 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

"it's unlikely the government will feel any pressure to act."

The house of commons IS the government.

"The publicity of of the Romanow report will eclipse that of the marijuana comitee."

I don't know about that. It really depends on what the report says. The media had a field day with the senate report (even the US got in on the action), decriminalization is a HUGE step. Remember, it's only decriminalized in the Netherlands. We shall see what happens.

--------------------

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: ]
    #1053398 - 11/14/02 07:49 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

I don't think decrim means you could grow it without fear. At best it would mean non-criminal sanctions. But clearly it would still be illegal. From the tone of the talk, it sounds to me like only straight up possesion of personal amounts are on the table for decriminalization.

And about the commons being the government. Well, the house of commons has House commitees reporting to it all the time. These comitees have members from every official party in the house. Quite often, their recomendations get ignored, because the other parties have their fingerprints all over them. There are more than a few house comitee reccomendations that have done nothing more than gather dust. Even the guy the media sites, Randy White, is an Alliance member. Not a member of the governing party.

The Liberal party is famous for it's broken promises, it's acceptance of the status quo. The Liberal party of Canada is very unwilling these days to bring in any sort of real change of any sort. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes that's a bad thing....that's another story...

Anyways, I can tell a lot of you are trying to stay hopeful. I just think it's most realistic to expect more of the same gutless, safe, well away from the egde, governing from the Liberals.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineWildCardsRevenge
Grade Eh Meat
 User Gallery

#1061828 - 11/18/02 08:49 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Yes but with the PM stepping down (hopfeully) in the next few years he is looking for some way to leave a mark so that he will always be remembered. CHanging the pot laws would be a great way for him to do this and it just might over shadow the fact that he can't run a country to save his life.

peace

--------------------
--------------------------

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: WildCardsRevenge]
    #1063119 - 11/18/02 05:05 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Is that really the legacy Jean is after? As far as I'm concerned, I'd cannonize him on the spot if he'd legalize/decriminalize/whatever, but any reform even remotely associated with pot would totally overshadow anything else we remember of that wacky little PM.

I think once Chretien is out of the way, his replacement (whoever it is) will be the one to say yea or nay on dope reform.

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: WildCardsRevenge]
    #1063216 - 11/18/02 05:42 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

The big issue with legalizing marijuana comes fromthe United Nations Charter helped drawn up by both Hoover and Harry J. Anslinger which has been signed byu more than 230 something odd so countries which sign an agreement never to have it legal. This is a hold back on the whole world.

Even here iin America if some state makes it legal, the federal go ernment can come in and say that their laws override the voting rights of the states. They have already did this in several states which maade medical marijuana legal and the doctors are being threatened with losing their liscences if a doctor writes a prescription. Ashcrodt (U.S. Attonery General just got kicjked in the but in oregon for trying to tellt he voters their euthanesia law was illefgal by Federal Government standards. The Oregon court told him to go take a hike, but the states are not dcefending their voters rights to the votes which made these decriminalization laws and the states which have the medical marijuana laws. The feds here still say it is illegal to grow, etc. so anyone growing cannot legally supply to someone with a doctors prescription. In washington state only one person growing can only suplly one medical marijuana user with a script his supply.

One laddy in West Settle was errecently visited by the DEA and locals and told to stop supply 1800 people on her list.

So now the US is even more ticked off at Canada over thiss as the us Blaine presidential council for the city is ticked off at the Canadien Government for telling muslim Canadians not to visit the USA becasue we now fingerprint and phtograph muslim peole entering america.
So the US is ticked becasue aBlaine Washingtons economy is dropping and I say haha to Blaine and the Bitch who made that statements.

I saved them somewhere becasue I wrote her a so what letter.

mj Have a shroomy political year and hope the pot inititive passes soon. Just to bug the us at the leastt.

My impression though is that it shouldnb't be legal as welll as illegal. It should hav no laws for or against it like grass, trees, flowers.

Shit the smell of roses intoxicated me, so foes pot so why should there be any law at all. What a game the Government plays with all of us telling us to vote to change and then they do not accept the vote of the people.

mj

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1063876 - 11/18/02 09:28 PM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Hey, this was in the paper today, and it's related. It's really just some silly government bickering, but you might be interested. Oh, and there was also a thing about the new mayor of Vancouver saying how he wants to start a safe injection site program.

Drug panel was upstaged, MP asserts

Vice-chair of committee slams statements made by Ottawa before report's release

By JANE TABER
Monday, November 18, 2002 ? Print Edition, Page A6

OTTAWA -- The Chr?tien government has pre-empted the work of a special Commons committee that spent more than $500,000 and two years travelling the world to study the non-medical use of drugs, the committee's vice-chair charges.

Randy White, a Canadian Alliance MP, pointed last week to the recent announcement by Health Minister Anne McLellan's office that her department is reviewing criteria for safe-injection sites as evidence that the Liberal-dominated committee is simply following the wishes of the minister.

Though he does not support safe-injection sites, Mr. White said the committee is "leaning toward" adopting them as part of promoting the European model of "harm reduction." The committee is also expected to recommend that marijuana be decriminalized. The report, which is more than 100 pages long and includes 30 recommendations, is to be finalized at a committee meeting today. It is to be made public early next month.

Mr. White said he expects fireworks at today's meeting, during which he will fight against recommendations of safe-injection sites and the harm-reduction model. He was careful not to divulge the specifics of the report's recommendations.

"I'm not going to be one of their pawns in the cabinet chess game where they send a committee out to blow all kinds of taxpayers' money and then they totally disregard it anyway and don't even wait for the report," he said.

Mr. White says he is "appalled" by two incidents -- Justice Minister Martin Cauchon signalling that he wanted to decriminalize marijuana before the committee finished its report and the recent announcement by the Health Department.

"I'm quite appalled, quite frankly, at this damn government," he said.

"They go out there and make their announcements -- none of them have asked any of us or looked at the report."

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: Phluck]
    #1064538 - 11/19/02 01:13 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Any news like that is good news.

Congratulations Phluck. :smile: 

Anonymous

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committee [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1064550 - 11/19/02 01:17 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Yep John, you nailed it!  States rights was THE issue till that bastard Lincoln, the original gorilla, made sure the Federal government was supreme.  :mad:

Now even if a state passes an pro-drug law we are STILL screwed because of the Federal government.

As I have said before it's time for secession or revolution!

Nicely said,

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committe [Re: ]
    #1066290 - 11/19/02 02:52 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

The Canadian government will probably decrim. Cauchon seems pretty gung-ho for it. I think they want to decrim soon to try and silence the issue. But that doesn't mean there's no chance of legalization. The thing to watch this winter will be the supreme court. I actually am fairly optimistic for legalization because the deal with the med pot was that if it a system wasn't established that made it easier than the previous system to distribute weed within a year to sick people then the marijuana laws would be struck down completely. It HASN'T become easier and it's been what, 2 years? Incoherent maybe, but check cannabisculture.com older articles for this info

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committe [Re: Dogomush]
    #1066655 - 11/19/02 05:10 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Was the first plan impleneted that great idea to grow it in caves? If so I hope they realize how stupid that was.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Anonymous

#1066790 - 11/19/02 05:48 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Thanks

and good luck!

OfflinetrendalM
tangential derivation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1070098 - 11/20/02 03:22 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

The deal with the medical pot laws: supreme court said it was unconstitutional to deprive a person of a substance that his/her doctor said had a medical benefit. They gave the lawmakers one year to either come up with some form of medical marijuana system or they would have to scrap all the marijuana laws so people could still get their medicine.

So of course with only a month or so to spare, Health Canada came up with the current system for medical marijuana. So no, that one year deal is gone now.

--------------------
The story book's been read
And every line believed
Curriculum's been set
Logic is a threat
Reason searched and seized

BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Anonymous

Re: Canada: House of Commons Special Drug Committe [Re: trendal]
    #1071544 - 11/20/02 10:17 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I really hope this works out for you guys.

[crosses fingers]

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp

General Interest >> Political Discussion