Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Political Yin and Yang
    #10478876 - 06/09/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I know other countries run differently, but the US has polarity down to a science. I don't mean to imply it's contrived, it may mostly be a product of causation. I find it odd that the larger the election, the more balanced the equation is, though even locally, election results are often quite close. We've been bouncing between Democrats and Republicans since the late 1800's. Winning by a few percentage points may be considered a "landslide". This phenomena can be seen in the Franken Coleman contest, at less than 1/100th of a percent difference.

What reasons could there be for this apparent balance?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: Rahz]
    #10478985 - 06/09/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
What reasons could there be for this apparent balance?

A two-party system is virtually inevitable when you have a winner-take-all election system.  Our system of government is basically designed to gravitate towards the political center.

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: Silversoul]
    #10479119 - 06/09/09 07:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

A two-party system is virtually inevitable when you have a winner-take-all election system.  Our system of government is basically designed to gravitate towards the political center.

Hmm, OK. Are other systems more likely to result in a lack of balance?

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#10480379 - 06/09/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Quote:

Hmm, OK. Are other systems more likely to result in a lack of balance?

Well, in a parliamentary system, people vote for the party rather than the politician, and the party gets a portion of the seats in parliament equivalent to the portion of the votes they got.  In such systems, there can be a greater diversity of parties, ranging from the extreme left to the extreme right.  Our system tends to exclude the extremes.  But in a sense, there is balance in a parliamentary system too, since parties will form coalitions with one another in order to get control of the government, so there are some compromises that occur.

--------------------

Invisiblerebus_minus
Re: Political Yin and Yang *DELETED* [Re: Silversoul]
    #10480413 - 06/10/09 12:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by rebus_minus

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: rebus_minus]
    #10480514 - 06/10/09 12:38 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

rebus_minus said:
The thing is, both of the parties in U.S. system would be considered extreme right compared to centrum in most European countries.

It is such a sham.

The Democrats would be center-right in Europe.  Saying they'd be extreme right is a bit of a stretch.

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: Silversoul]
    #10480714 - 06/10/09 01:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Can someone (briefly) explain to me why politics were assigned a direction such as Left or Right? And was it just an arbitrary decision at some point? Could they easily have been reversed?

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10482227 - 06/10/09 12:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The western scientific mind is designed that way.  Its designed to make categorical distinctions and then treat them that way.  It creates black and white thinking.  It creates people to think that there is a right way and a wrong way.  It causes people to think ignorantly and not take into thought possibilities.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlinesuns_for_shadows
Wanderer

Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #10483093 - 06/10/09 03:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

no offense, but if you think the US political system is balanced... I don't know what to say.

Most americans think our country is a democracy... that is wrong. It is a republic. They want you to pick a good or an evil. Like Cognitive_Shift just said. People think bush when they think republican, obama when they think democrat. Bush(republican) was inherently evil so Obama(Democrat) must be good. It's backwards. Look into the family tree of bush or obama. You will see there is no balance. Just a long family business of deceit.

Obama serves no change. No Balance. You can't believe in polls or statistics. I find it funny that during pre-election all the talk about obama and ACORN. Experts coming forth about how EASY it is to rig an electronic election. Yet obama(good) won and everyone thinks everything is legit. People are waking up. Obama is spending our country into oblivion. Obama has gone against EVERYTHING he said he would do pre-election. Yet people are stuck in this Good Vs Evil. Republicans and democrats are two faces to the same coin. America was ment to be a REPUBLIC... we govern ourselves. Until people in america wake up and realize to take responsibility for their own actions can we move on to a better place.

Our Bill of Rights is being used as toilet paper by our politicians.

How is this system balance? All it is "apparent balance". It is just a trick placed on your psyche.

I didn't mean to be rude or an asshole by any of this, sorry if I came off that way. But watching anything political makes me want to cry. I suggest you do more research. Biased, well paid news outlets are not the source. Polls, statistics... not the source. I never took that survey... did you?

I voted for Ron Paul. I'm neither a republican or a democrat.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: Kickle]
    #10483224 - 06/10/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Can someone (briefly) explain to me why politics were assigned a direction such as Left or Right? And was it just an arbitrary decision at some point? Could they easily have been reversed?

French parliament, I believe. Left and right of the Speaker.

Yes here we go:
Quote:

The phrase left-wing was coined during the French Revolution, when left-wing referred to the seating arrangements in parliament; those who sat on the left opposed the traditional hierarchies and supported radical reform.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Invisiblerebus_minus
Re: Political Yin and Yang *DELETED* [Re: zouden]
    #10483258 - 06/10/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by rebus_minus

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: rebus_minus]
    #10483966 - 06/10/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Quote:

Kickle said:

French parliament, I believe. Left and right of the Speaker.

Yes here we go:
Quote:

The phrase left-wing was coined during the French Revolution, when left-wing referred to the seating arrangements in parliament; those who sat on the left opposed the traditional hierarchies and supported radical reform.

Haha, ah, sweet, thanks.

Quote:

rebus_minus said:
It is arbitrary. See it as a political compass instead. Left to right (horizontal axis) crossed with liberal to conservative (vertical).

I've seen the x/y axis'o'politics before. I just wondered where it came from. I can see the utility in breaking it down in such a way.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineHALFemptyJOSH
Magician
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: Kickle]
    #10484254 - 06/10/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i pretty sure that the congress makes most of the decisions.. and the face to blame is just an illusion just like the good and evil you suggested earlier..

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Political Yin and Yang [Re: suns_for_shadows]
    #10485025 - 06/10/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well it was designed as a democratic republic, and now it seems to be a monetary republic with a democratic puppet to keep the voters in darkness.

Realistically, the focus of balance has shifted from national to international. But does this require a hemorrhage?

The questions are, can we (meaning humans) handle a NWO, and is sending the American economy down the river to do it, the best method of getting there? And is it only when there is no more sovereignty, that such a thing can be allowed to happen?

I know this is getting off topic, but the OP was a little dull.:)

--------------------
rahz

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom