Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device?
    #10476857 - 06/09/09 02:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I was bored at work today and came up with this idea for a device to dispense agar into petri dishes.  Basically I would put my agar mix in the modified mason jar and pressure cook as usual, then turn the modified mason jar over (in my glove box) and dispense the agar into petri dishes using a valve at the outlet of the mason jar.  Here is a picture of what I plan to do:

I will probably use copper pipe for the pipe portions, or autoclavable plastic tubing of some sort. I am unsure as to what to use for the valve... any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: jjb007]
    #10477241 - 06/09/09 03:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That's a really cool idea...its a shame the fittings that they use in bars for their liqour bottles that pre-pour 1 ounce per tip wouldn't work in the PC. That'd be awesome (except for cleaning after).

The first thing that comes to mind is a ball valve...so long as you barely opened it each time...it'd be easy to regulate, easier then over-tipping the long necked bottle of a whiskey bottle. Hmmmm...interesting idea. You'd have to silicone your copper tube to your Whatman filter, wait you said Tyvek. I don't know how that would work...but having whatman's would make it easier for sealing wise. Then it would also be -really- handy to have a little stand for your jar to stand upside down in...like a water bottle for hamsters. *rubs chin* Ah...but with the whatman (or otherwise), when you have the jar right side up, you'd get agar in your ventilation tube when you tipped it back. Might have to figure on something for that...or just let the agar glub out somewhat to avoid that.

That's :2cents:

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlinejjb007

Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #10477319 - 06/09/09 03:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I was just going to solder the tubing to the circular inner part of the mason jar cap (the peice that we usually put holes in and cover with a tyvek peice).  I dont know much about soldering but I have friends/family with all different types of soldering equipment so I just figured I could get one of them to do it.  When the jar is upside down the closed valve would prevent the agar from pouring out, and I should be able to tip the jar in such a way that agar would not pour down the ventilation tube when turning the jar from rightside up to upside down... If I can get this to work then I will definitely build a stand for it to sit easily in my glovebox.

Offlinejjb007

Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: jjb007]
    #10477338 - 06/09/09 03:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I could just bend the air tube a little inwards that way when I tip the jar in the direction of the gray arrow in the picture, the agar should drip out of the inlet tub as well...

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #10477460 - 06/09/09 03:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ah, good thinking...That would work well. You could solder which would make it nice and rigid. Or use gasket maker, but its a little less durable. Cool idea though...really cool idea.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlinenekrogoat
Stranger

Loc: Cascadia
Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #10479979 - 06/10/09 12:35 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You could also look into autoclavable flexible tubing and a hose clamp...

u should try to keep it as simple as possible when agar dries its a bitch to clean.

If it dries in any moving parts including threading its almost impossible to get out

Some soldering wire has lead in it, the flux is also poisonous I believe.

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: nekrogoat]
    #10480742 - 06/10/09 03:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Unless you have very old solder, it's now lead free.  Antimony and tin, I believe.  The flux is an acid paste and except for the low Ph, it's not too bad.  Having said that, I'd make the rig disposable.

There are these tiny black valves that plug into drip iorrigation lines that should do the trick.  I'm not sure they're autoclavable, but I'll try one with my next batch if I remember.

Cheap and throw away.

I just boil up 75 dishes worth of agar, put a third each into 1 mason jar and 2 amber glass bottles, and autoclave all three.  Then I seal the amber glass bottles and pour petris from the mason jar under my flow hood.

The amber glass bottles I microwave when needed to pour the subsequent batches.  Watch it while it's being microwaved.  It will over flow when boiling.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: Jef]
    #10482783 - 06/10/09 04:12 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I like glass bottles with a plastic cap/ the whiskey bottle technique. Cuz they're microwavable. Solder might melt in the PC (I don't know), which might be unfortunate, but it could be scrapped off probably.

Also, the fumes are not that great

I wouldn't be too worried about contaminants landing on/in the hot agar, it seems like they die

It would be nice to have a spout though. I've overflowed a bunch of dishes because i'm working with clunky bottle inside of a still air box and also because of my lack of pouring skills in general...

Offlinejjb007

Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: ABC]
    #10483759 - 06/10/09 07:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ABC said:
I like glass bottles with a plastic cap/ the whiskey bottle technique. Cuz they're microwavable. Solder might melt in the PC (I don't know), which might be unfortunate, but it could be scrapped off probably.

Also, the fumes are not that great

I wouldn't be too worried about contaminants landing on/in the hot agar, it seems like they die

It would be nice to have a spout though. I've overflowed a bunch of dishes because i'm working with clunky bottle inside of a still air box and also because of my lack of pouring skills in general...

I've been using a liquor bottle with a metal cap that has a hole punched in it and I have no problems at all... I just like building things so I came up with this idea, if it fails then ill go back to the liquor bottle method :smile:

InvisibleLokelYokel
I Gro Fuud
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Heart
    #10483835 - 06/10/09 07:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think Rube Goldberg would appreciate your effort.

--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10492798 - 06/12/09 07:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

go to your plumbing department....there's some very easy and cheap ways to do what your wanting without having to solder anything, and can be completed as fast as you can drill your hole

one thing your forgetting however is that the agar in the tip will harden when you set your jar down.  this isn't a problem if your just using a tube with a decent hole size, but with a valve i could see problems. 

unless you keep your jar really hot, however in that case your going to be burning the shit out of yourselve every now n then, and prolly melt your glovebox a few hundred times

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Carbon based lifeform
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
Re: Are there any autoclavable valves I can use for my agar pouring device? [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10493632 - 06/12/09 12:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i believe is impossible to pour agar in that way, because you need a part where air enters if you want the agar exits.

you should consider the idea of an homemade peristaltic pump.

However i believe at least you shouldn't pour hundreds of petri every day you can use the common hand method!

Let us know :smile:
Fabio

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom