Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   Amazon Agar, Petri Dish, Rye Grain   eBay Lab Glassware

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Re: No more Honey TEK
    #10466 - 03/31/00 08:49 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

could you elaborate on what you like to use those different recipes for? im especially curious about how you make the "cornmeal strain storage" agar! i got some strains i need to store. why is corn meal better than the mya i got my stuff on now.

"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: No more Honey TEK
    #10468 - 03/31/00 10:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Well to sum it all up, I am pretty suprised at how little it costs to get the laboratory grade glassware to do mushroom work and all these homegrown teks pop up to attack problems solved long ago in the industry (talking about other areas than petri vs. honeywater).. To get up and going my way is not expensive, its like .75 cents for test tubes, 8 dollars for a dozen glass culture cylinders with caps, 8 dollars for a 500ml flask, 3 dollars for graduated cylinders, 5 dollars for pipettes, 6.50 for 20 platic petri's etc etc etc.

On to the agars

The cornmeal recipie is not as nutritious and hence better situated for slowing down your strains into a state better suited for storage. It is known in the mushroom industry as CMYA.

1 liter water
20 grams agar-agar
10 grams cornmeal
5 grams malt
1 gram yeast

*note I rotate 5 grams malt with 5 grams glucose between batches.

MYA seems to be the best agar currently known that will handle the largest number of different mushrooms you wish to culture. To enhance it, you rotate among many different additives to keep challenging your mycelium.

1 liter water
12 grams agar-agar
12 grams "light" malt powder
1 gram nutritional yeast powder
0.5 gram grain flour (* see rotation schedule)
0.5 gram rabbit chow

* to rotate, each batch gets wheat, rye, corn, rice, oat, and millet flours. If growing out wood loving mycelium in addition add a few flakes/pellets of the wood you are going to be targeting.

The petri you do your final grow on should normally be with the additivies that match you growing medium; that is if knocking a few days off your growing time is important to you.

MYPA just adds 1 gram of Peptone to the MYA recipie.

PxMYA is a special peroxide additive version of agar for mycelial growth only. Spore germinations need to be done on non PxMYA and then transfered to PxMYA where the mycelium will be favored and the uncolonized agar protected/preserved. This recipie and whole entire technique of growing mushrooms is the private work of Rush Wayne and for this recipie and guide you need to spend the $14 or so on his manual.

Rush Wayne's site: http://members.aol.com/PeroxyMan/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   Amazon Agar, Petri Dish, Rye Grain   eBay Lab Glassware

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation