Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemeathead2k2
The Magic Tour Guide

grow issues - small fruits - 3 casings and 1g dryed yield :(
    #10464483 - 06/07/09 04:13 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hey

i have recently fruited my casings which i used pop corn and coir and verm.

the mycelium took a good 2 weeks to really properly penatrate the substrate layer, and an even longer time to fruit.

The result were poor , of the 3 casings i did i have only about 1g dryed from the first flush. the fruits were tiny and a big step backwards from when i tryed pf cakes.

the sides of my terranium are wet with spots water all over, but the casing layer seems to be drying out quite quickly, and the casing layer has cracked over the top as if it is to dry- kinda how dirt goes when its been really hot. i am using perlite to humidify the terranium. i fan at least 4 times a day and i mist when cakes look like there getting dry.

its really disheartening as ive put a lot of effort and time into getting these right. is there anything i can do to my casing to try and improve whats happening?

any ideas would be great, im still kinda stuck on how wet the casing layer should be, near saturation ive read, but how wet is that?

i am going to try again, could i make a spoke print from one of the small fruits i have and grow large mushrooms from it? or becuase this mushroom is small, would a spore print from that also create small shrooms?

any advice would be great. thanks for taking the time to read this!

lewis

--------------------
Good things come to those who wait

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: grow issues - small fruits - 3 casings and 1g dryed yield :( [Re: meathead2k2]
    #10464576 - 06/07/09 05:52 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

when using a casing layer you must mist to rehydrate when it starst to get dry. With straight grains its the casing layer that is supply the moisture the the grains lack.

Moisture on the walls doesnt mean anything but a difference in temperature between the inside and outside of your FC allowing moisture to condense out of the air. If your heating your FC that will kill your humidity.

Also, if you dont have any holes in your fruiting chamber , your going to need to do more than 4 FAE a day, more like once per hour.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinesage1o1
Warrior
Male User Gallery

Re: grow issues - small fruits - 3 casings and 1g dryed yield :( [Re: meathead2k2]
    #10464586 - 06/07/09 06:00 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, first of all, the definition of a casing layer:  a thin layer (usually, at most, 1/4 the depth of the bulk/spawn layering) of a non-nutritive substance that goes over your bulk substance.  So, now that we know that, i can tell you the size of your fruits has nothing to do with your casing layer.  All a casing layer does for a person is provide a micro climate to put Rh as close 100% as possible, and it provides moister to developing fruit bodies.  More and more of the mushroom community is finding out that casing is unnecessary when it comes to cubes.  Now that that's out of the way, I can tell you how to get bigger fruits:  a deeper substrate level!  yes, its that simple, just mix your spawn and bulk substrate at a 1:4 ratio (being spawn:bulk) and make it 4 - 4 1/2 inches, and your fruit bodies should be huge!  Also, instead of a terrarium, I would look into monotubs when spawning to bulk.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5930161/an/0/page/0

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7893964#7893964

Another thing is, i assume you started out with a multi-spore inoculation.  This is a crapshoot.  And yes, you can get a print from any cap, and just because its a small cap, it won't effect the size of the resulting fruits (except for the fact that you're back to doing MS inoculations).  All a small cap does when one takes a print from it, is one just gets a smaller print.  When one does that though, they take the genetics back to square one, which is good when doing grain 2 grain, cloning, and stuff like that.

Here is a link that changed everything for me, now i have more mushrooms than i know what to do with:  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8468463#Post8468463

Oh, and another thing, i just read your original msg again, one question: how did you use perlite in a terrarium you spawned to bulk in?  don't do that.  the substrate alone will provide an adequate Rh level.

Hope this helps, GL!

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: grow issues - small fruits - 3 casings and 1g dryed yield :( [Re: sage1o1]
    #10464601 - 06/07/09 06:10 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

When fruiting straight grains, its the casing layer to helps provide water the grains dont hold. Grains dont hold much moisture and rarely fruit on there own and when they do, its usually small fruits if any at all.

Thats why a casing layer must be used, or a rez effect. The casing layer helps provide that extra moisture.

Hes using a perlite fruiting chamber, most likely a shotgun, so to say that the substrate provides the rh is wrong, unless he is doing a mono tub or dub tub which he isnt. He has trays of grains that have a casing layer. Simply sticking them in a tub is a sure fire way of not maintain RH and it drying out (unless the tub is pretty much the same size as the tray).

He didnt spawn to perlite, he didnt spawn at all.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Offlinemeathead2k2
The Magic Tour Guide

Re: grow issues - small fruits - 3 casings and 1g dryed yield :( [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10464675 - 06/07/09 07:08 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:

Moisture on the walls doesnt mean anything but a difference in temperature between the inside and outside of your FC allowing moisture to condense out of the air. If your heating your FC that will kill your humidity.

are you saying that i might not have a high humidity even though i have moisture on the walls? how do i obtain a 90% humidity then? i must say the air inside the chamber dosent feel wet!!

thanks

--------------------
Good things come to those who wait

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10464720 - 06/07/09 07:32 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ill say it again, condensation isnt an indicator of humidity, simply that the inside of your FC is warmer than the outside, moisture will condense onto the walls which are cooler.

Its the same that happens to a cold can of juice or beer thats taken out of the fridge. Moisture from the air condenses on the cold surface.

what kind of terrarium do you have
how much perlite
any standing water

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags